LeBrun: Carolina Interested in Petry. Price is high

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
In his latest article, Pierre Lebrun said that Carolina - among many other teams - are very interested in Petry . Offer would likely be 2020 first round pick and Jake Bean and that wouldn’t (most likely) cut it for Montreal.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I get that they want to be a contender and get the best players possible, but why trade a ton for Petry when you already have Hamilton and Pesce on RD when healthy and you only need a Hamilton replacement for this year? I think it makes more sense for them to trade less for a rental Vatanen over paying a fortune to convince Montreal to trade Petry.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
In his latest article, Pierre Lebrun said that Carolina are very interested in Petry (as many other teams are). Offer would likely be 2020 first round pick and Jake Bean and that wouldn’t (most likely) cut it for Montreal.
I personally would do it. Carolina’s pick would probably be early 20’s or even late 10’s and Bean is a pretty good nhl ready prospect. Maybe Bergevin does it with a bottom 6 roster player on top of it or another later pick (3rd?) but at that point, I don’t care.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I get that they want to be a contender and get the best players possible, but why trade a ton for Petry when you already have Hamilton and Pesce on RD when healthy and you only need a Hamilton replacement for this year? I think it makes more sense for them to trade less for a rental Vatanen over paying a fortune to convince Montreal to trade Petry.
I 100% agree with this. But never know what a GM is thinking.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Did anyone read it? The entire write up on Petry was pure speculation. He wasn’t even sure if Carolina even called to find out a price.

he basically said everyone would be interested in Petry. He probably only included the Canes by name because we are one of the only teams that could provide a enticing package/ hasn’t traded for a defender yet.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I personally would do it. Carolina’s pick would probably be early 20’s or even late 10’s and Bean is a pretty good nhl ready prospect. Maybe Bergevin does it with a bottom 6 roster player on top of it or another later pick (3rd?) but at that point, I don’t care.

Realistically, it doesn't matter what you (or my) opinion of a prospect is, its what team management thinks.

Reactions: MasterMatt25

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

I would prefer someone that shoots right if Petry gets moved

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Pure speculation by LeBrun if you read the article. He's just trying to generate a few extra clicks for a disappointing deadline.

He believes the Canes like him (in his words "and I mean, who doesn't?") and he thinks their offer would be something like a 1st + Jake Bean. He thinks Carolina might call Montreal if they haven't already. He also says there is a 95% chance Montreal keeps Petry because he is so darn good. One can imagine who the target audience is.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Yep, Vats for a 2nd should do it, and then spent on goaltending during the offseason.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Did anyone read it? The entire write up on Petry was pure speculation. He wasn’t even sure if Carolina even called to find out a price.

he basically said everyone would be interested in Petry. He probably only included the Canes by name because we are one of the only teams that could provide a enticing package/ hasn’t traded for a defender yet.

This.

It’s all from LeBrun’s own mind, no mention of any actual hard link between CAR for Petry. Gotta make some drama for what is shaping up to be another boring deadline day.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY

Having a feel for Tom Dundon and the Canes "brain-trust" FO-by-committee...acquiring Petry feels like an arbitrage:

Move out an asset I don't think Waddell et al. were ever as high on as the fans were (Bean; see Gauthier, Hanifin, Zykov, and Saarela) for a desired asset...then auction off an asset (Hamilton) that doesn't fit the future salary plan at its highest value in offseason.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Petry to Carolina would be a somewhat decent replacement for Hamilton. I think Montreal would get a good return for him.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Pure speculation by LeBrun if you read the article. He's just trying to generate a few extra clicks for a disappointing deadline.

He believes the Canes like him (in his words "and I mean, who doesn't?") and he thinks their offer would be something like a 1st + Jake Bean. He thinks Carolina might call Montreal if they haven't already. He also says there is a 95% chance Montreal keeps Petry because he is so darn good. One can imagine who the target audience is.
Off course that’s speculation. What doesn’t seems to be speculation is Canes are looking for top4 RHD with term:

According to TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun, the Carolina Hurricanes are interested in adding right-shot, top-four defenceman preferably with term before the deadline. And Montreal Canadiens defenceman Jeff Petry, who fits the bill on all three counts, is high on their wish list.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

I agree with this but it seems like they want another RHD and maybe they are picky about who they want to bring over. Who knows

It looks speculation but you know he’s that info from someone close to the situation but he just can’t say sources

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

The Athletic is not click-oriented. No reasons to do it.

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
I don't think MB has the intellegence or stones to move Petry i guarantee hes already planning on resigning him to an albatross contract when his current contract expires at 34 years old

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Off course that’s speculation. What doesn’t seems to be speculation is Canes are looking for top4 RHD with term:

According to TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun, the Carolina Hurricanes are interested in adding right-shot, top-four defenceman preferably with term before the deadline. And Montreal Canadiens defenceman Jeff Petry, who fits the bill on all three counts, is high on their wish list.

The actual insider information and reports from Dundon/Waddell actually say that the Canes were trying to make a hockey deal (no futures) for a RHD with term (Martinez).

The Athletic is not click-oriented. No reasons to do it.

It was posted on TSN too which absolutely provides a reason

Besides, internal clicks and comments still matter to the relevancy of the authors. LeBrun baselessly speculating that Carolina might call Montreal about Petry if they haven't already generates a lot engagement out of nothing.

Reactions: DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->