TSN: Carolina interested in Kapanen

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I would rather trade Nylander. The team hasn't even won a game since he came back, doesn't even look 100% interested since that big signing... I know I will get flamed for this, but I much prefer Kappy over Nylander. Say what you want! =)

Good point. With all the number projecting going around is it worth pointing out that Nylander is on pace for 20-30 points?

I guess the Canes should just wait out the year and see how Toronto feels about where Nylander ends up. Maybe Babcock will prefer Kapanen at the end of the day.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Funny thing, Aho and Teuvo has also proven my hypothesis right that they would be scoring at around the same rate as Kappy if given the same opportunity considering Aho scored 49 EV points last year while Teuvo scored about 44 which is around the same pace you projected Kap to be IF he didn't have Matthews.

Kap was projected at 41 ES points (7 points in 14 games while Matthews injured). Justin Williams had 39 last year. So he is a Williams-calibre winger. Not worth anything close to Pesce. We cracked the case.

Reactions: Snowman and DaveG
Mar 14, 2011
Kap was projected at 41 ES points (7 points in 14 games while Matthews injured). Justin Williams had 39 last year. So he is a Williams-calibre winger. Not worth anything close to Pesce. We cracked the case.
So Aho is only worth 10 more points than Williams then? Good to know, your flawed system of evaluating player is quite illogical sir.

EDIT: Just realized that Williams scored 51 points last year, clearly his still productive but he doesn't have as much value due to age.

Reactions: Finlandia WOAT

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
I would rather trade Nylander. The team hasn't even won a game since he came back, doesn't even look 100% interested since that big signing... I know I will get flamed for this, but I much prefer Kappy over Nylander. Say what you want! =)

Yeah. I mean shit. It's almost like he missed training camp, preseason and 30 games.

Reactions: Schooner

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
It's quite amazing to watch.

If they don't win the Cup this season with 12 franchise players it's going to be quite embarrassing.

Wait a sec - you think Brett Pesce is a franchise player?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Let's say Carolina trades Pesce for Kapanen, who are they then trading for that high end forward they need?

Wait a sec - you think Brett Pesce is a franchise player?

Nowhere did I mention that, but I'm sure you with your numbers can create 12 franchise players for Toronto, I may be even underrating that number.

It's good to see no Leafs players get overhyped.

Mar 14, 2011
So a 22 year old, 50 point winger (your words BTW) who has a pretty solid 2 way game and still has room to improve is not even close to what Pesce is worth? Well at least you're not underrating Kapanen anymore.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
are you challenging fellow Canes fans to demonstrate their first person scouting examples of what Kappy looks like away from Matthews? or is it just leafs fans that have to do that?
I'm simply actually you to back up your own words about how Pesce "looked" without Slavin. That implies you have an observation to share. So?

HOTD

Jan 11, 2013
No Canes fan would trade Pesce for Kapanen. Kapanen isn’t worth close to that value. The burden isn’t on me to prove that Pesce is x or y. I’m just laying out the objective reasoning why Kapanen is insufficient.

44 points doesn’t excite anyone. Just because the rest of the Canes outside Aho were bad last year doesn’t make a 44 point winger more valuable.

Now I’ve heard from Leafs fans argue today that Kapanen is better than all of Svechnikov, Tarasenko, and ROR this year. The lols.

Why has Nylander only put up 2 assists in 5 GP? Struggling to produce away from Matthews? I’ve almost as if Matthews is an incredible Center that elevates his linemates.

Do you really have to ask why a guy who missed training camp, preseason and a quarter of the season is off to a slow start? Are you saying Nylander is not a point producer? This is funny.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
So Carolina is interested in Kapanen as per the title.
Does anyone know how interested and what they offered if they even did?

Just trying to avoid 35 pages of my Pesce is bigger than yours and see if there is anything concrete.

Last edited:
Reactions: Finlandia WOAT

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I'm simply actually you to back up your own words about how Pesce "looked" without Slavin. That implies you have an observation to share. So?

OK.

Spot the difference at ES

15/16: C+ qoc, -1.4cfrel, +1.1xgfrel (6.0% of ES toi with Slavin)
16/17: A- qoc, +4.6cfrel, +7.1xgfrel (70.5% of ES toi with Slavin)
17/18: A- qoc, +0.2cfrel, +2.2xgfrel (76.2% of ES toi with Slavin)
18/19: B+ qoc, -7.4cfrel, -0.5xgfrel (25.3% of ES toi with Slavin)

As a rookie, he didn't play with Slavin at all, and did ok in bottom pair usage. Nothing great, but he held his own down there.

In years 2 and 3, he played almost all of his time with Slavin, and played well in legit (though not extreme) top pair usage.

In year 4, he's played mostly without Slavin, and has struggled badly in 2nd pair usage.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
year 4, he's played mostly without Slavin, and has struggled badly in 2nd pair usage.

Pesce was used with an off hand tvr or mediocre hadyn fleury with the 'canes rotating tire fire of a 3rd line, which is where most of the hit to his numbers come from. But he did not look as good away from Slavin as with him.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
OK.

As a rookie, he didn't play with Slavin at all, and did ok in bottom pair usage. Nothing great, but he held his own down there.

In years 2 and 3, he played almost all of his time with Slavin, and played well in legit (though not extreme) top pair usage.

In year 4, he's played mostly without Slavin, and has struggled badly in 2nd pair usage.
Swell but not what I asked. You stated how he "looked" without Slavin. So, metrics aside, how has he "looked?" Oh that's right...like most of the Pesce "experts" here you haven't really seen him play. It was obvious from the start but you could have saved the bandwidth by just admitting it instead of floating your stale, pretzel logic.

Pesce was used with an off hand tvr or mediocre hadyn fleury with the 'canes rotating tire fire of a 3rd line, which is where most of the hit to his numbers come from. But he did not look as good away from Slavin as with him.
And the point these guys keep missing is how we would look next to Rielly instead of Hainsey, who we are all familiar with? The answer is damn good but his name doesn't have the catchet the fan boys insist on so they just wing it.

Reactions: Snowman

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Swell but not what I asked. You stated how he "looked" without Slavin. So, metrics aside, how has he "looked?" Oh that's right...like most of the Pesce "experts" here you haven't really seen him play. It was obvious from the start but you could have saved the bandwidth by just admitting it instead of floating your stale, pretzel logic.

which is why I skipped that part, and asked you why you only demand in person scouting reports from leafs fans, but are fine with canes fans using simple points stats to make their arguments.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
which is why I skipped that part, and asked you why you only demand in person scouting reports from leafs fans, but are fine with canes fans using simple points stats to make their arguments.
It's all in how you express your opinion. If a Canes fan stated how Kapanen "looked" and cited only stats, then it's worthy of the same criticism you rightly got.

Kapanen has a real good future based on early returns but the hyperbole, lack of context and stat extrapolations here are at times laughable.

Reactions: Snowman

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
It's all in how you express your opinion. If a Canes fan stated how Kapanen "looked" and cited only stats, then it's worthy of the same criticism you rightly got.

Ah, so your problem is that I used the less-decisive word "looked worse", instead of just flat out saying that he was worse, like the canes fans did.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Ah, so your problem is that I used the less-decisive word "looked worse", instead of just flat out saying that he was worse, like the canes fans did.
Not exactly. Your wording implied your take on Pesce was based on observation, as you did with Kap, while it clearly wasn't. It was your problem, I just pointed it out.

What Finlandia provided was context and insight, to help interpret the stats, that you could have only gotten from watching Pesce play. That's where your argument crumbled because you lack an important source of knowledge.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
OK.

At absolutely no point this year has Pesce been on the 2nd pair. Rod refuses to break up De Haan and Faulk.

But that statement is par for the course for this thread. Most here probably haven’t watched Pesce for more than 2 games this year. Seem pretty confident in ignorance, though.

Reactions: Roboturner913

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
So Carolina is interested in Kapanen as per the title.
Does anyone know how interested and what they offered if they even did?

Just trying to avoid 35 pages of my Pesce is bigger than yours and see if there is anything concrete.

Carolina discussed Kapanen internally. That's the story. It's the Leafs, so it's a big deal.

The extent of the interest is unknown. LeBrun did clarify the following day that the Canes discussed other players too. No formal offer has been presented at this point.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Carolina discussed Kapanen internally. That's the story. It's the Leafs, so it's a big deal.

The extent of the interest is unknown. LeBrun did clarify the following day that the Canes discussed other players too. No formal offer has been presented at this point.
Appreciate the update. That's quality through whatever the rest is.
If Carolina is interested in added a scoring forward, I'm sure they are doing their due diligence around the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad