GDT: Carolina Hurricanes @ Buffalo Sabres 7PM 11.14.2019

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I didn't get the impression Lehner wanted to return. Did I miss something?

He needed to go somewhere else for his own mental health. What's probably a deeper issue to ask the owners is why so many players under their watch have been expressing despondency and depression in their time in town. Kulikov talked about how he felt isolated after his injury. Lehner's mental health is an open book because of how he has approached it. O'Reilly's comments? Kane's actions? Ehrhoff (going back to Regier) wanting out?

It's beyond just losing. There has been some serious problems with personnel off the ice with the Pegulas as owners.

Reactions: Smiling Ivan

DatGuy

Sep 25, 2015
It’s 3v3. Erod is facing the puck carrier and is closest to him. In that situation Erod has to take the puck carrier. It’s his guy until there is an chance or need to switch. No matter what Dahlin did or didn’t do. 3v3 is effectively man on man. No idea why Erod makes an assumption he has coverage behind him like that. If he’s passing off he needs to know there is someone there to pick up the player he is passing off. Erod was literally pointing to no one when he directs traffic. That he didn’t know that is entirely on him.
Even if everything you say is true, Necas didn't get a shot off and was forced into the corner to make a backhand passed from below the goal line to a wide open trailer. So E-Rod needs to cover both players?

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I didn't get the impression Lehner wanted to return. Did I miss something?
If we had bothered to reach out to him with an offer better than the ridiculously pitiful offer he got I think he takes it (especially how he has always gone out of his way to praise Botts for how he handled the situation when he imploded by doing everything to help him when he could've just washed his hands of the guy).

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
He needed to go somewhere else for his own mental health. What's probably a deeper issue to ask the owners is why so many players under their watch have been expressing despondency and depression in their time in town. Kulikov talked about how he felt isolated after his injury. Lehner's mental health is an open book because of how he has approached it. O'Reilly's comments? Kane's actions? Ehrhoff (going back to Regier) wanting out?

It's beyond just losing. There has been some serious problems with personnel off the ice with the Pegulas as owners.

I thought Kane/Bogo/Jack/Reinhart were all buddies. Lehner seems obvious; how could you ask a recovering (recently) alcoholic to return to the site of his deepest troubles. It's just not a safe or sane move.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
If we had bothered to reach out to him with an offer better than the ridiculously pitiful offer he got I think he takes it (especially how he has always gone out of his way to praise Botts for how he handled the situation when he imploded by doing everything to help him when he could've just washed his hands of the guy).

As I responded to Chain; it just seems really irresponsible to have a recovering substance abuser to return to the place/rhythm/familiar setting of their addiction. Maybe it would have turned out ok, but for him as a man; is it worth the risk? A job in Chicago is still a job.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I thought Kane/Bogo/Jack/Reinhart were all buddies. Lehner seems obvious; how could you ask a recovering (recently) alcoholic to return to the site of his deepest troubles. It's just not a safe or sane move.

The point is: how does Lehner get to the point of despondency where his issues derail him so thoroughly. The guy was drinking beer by the case. There is a lot of swirl about how poor the team was at keeping the mental health of their players as a priority.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls

Look around. It's spreading to the fans.

Reactions: kirby11

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
It’s 3v3. Erod is facing the puck carrier and is closest to him. In that situation Erod has to take the puck carrier. It’s his guy until there is an chance or need to switch. No matter what Dahlin did or didn’t do. 3v3 is effectively man on man. No idea why Erod makes an assumption he has coverage behind him like that. If he’s passing off he needs to know there is someone there to pick up the player he is passing off. Erod was literally pointing to no one when he directs traffic. That he didn’t know that is entirely on him.

That still doesn't explain why Dahlin voluntarily skated to the other side of the ice where there was one Hurricane already covered by a Sabre, leaving ERod by himself to cover the attacking Necas and the trailing forward coming down the left wing. Followed by Dahlin skating aimlessly around his zone and covering precisely nobody.

If you're apportioning fault on that goal, it's overwhelmingly on Dahlin.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

I’ve brought it up a ton and to the annoyance of many. But Murray had no idea what he was doing in terms of team building or running an organization. Its why he brings on the players he did who all had baggage to varying degrees. It leads to the toxic locker room that needed to get cleaned up.

Murray was so utterly clueless about his players that he didn’t even know they hated Disco until about a week before his firing. He had no idea how to run an organization and establish things like discipline team wide. It led to the clown show of Sam sitting on the bench for an entire game in uniform. It led to wild speculation since Kane’s antics with the NBA all star game didn’t lead to this type of public humiliation. Sam must have done something horrible. In the end he was 5mins late for a team stretch after Murray decides out of the blue, with a month left in the season and 3 years into his tenure to implement rules about being late for anything. Then doesn’t plan for the possibility a player might actually violate this new rule.

Murray was such a clown. The damage he did was enormous.

No idea if the firing of Brandon and Kim Pegula taking over has led to more help with personal issues and problems for the players. I do remember Botts was involved with helping Lehner once they found out what he was dealing with. Lehner mentioned he kept in touch over the summer after we let him go.

Last edited:

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Look around. It's spreading to the fans.
The idea that the Buffalo fans are so hard and brutal is rubbish. I mean could you imagine if, say Philly missed the playoffs for a decade? There'd be riots outside the arena with people torching cars and hurling petrol bombs at the arenas. In terms of anger Sabres fans have been as mellow as you could possibly find after all they've been put through.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
That still doesn't explain why Dahlin voluntarily skated to the other side of the ice where there was one Hurricane already covered by a Sabre, leaving ERod by himself to cover the attacking Necas and the trailing forward coming down the left wing. Followed by Dahlin skating aimlessly around his zone and covering precisely nobody.

If you're apportioning fault on that goal, it's overwhelmingly on Dahlin.

Dahlin isn't without fault. But there is zero excuse in a 3v3 situation to ever blindly pass of a puck carrier in the NZ. You simply can’t assume you have help in that situation. Erod clearly assumed that was the case as evidence by him directing no one to pick up the puck carrier. 5v5 would be different.

Its cleary a miscalculation by both players. But you should never blindly pass off a puck carrier in that situation. Erod’s only concern should have been accounting for the puck carry. Not the guy behind him.

Reactions: Tatanka and Vito_81

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I’ve brought it up a ton and to the annoyance of many. But Murray had no idea what he was doing in terms of team building or running an organization. Its why he brings on the players he did who all had baggage to varying degrees. It leads to the toxic locker room that needed to get cleaned up.

Murray was so utterly clueless about his players that he didn’t even know they hated Disco until about a week before his firing. He had no idea how to run an origination and establish things like discipline team wide. It led to the clown show of Sam sitting on the bench for an entire game in uniform. It led to wild speculation since Kane’s antics with the NBA all star game didn’t lead to this type of public humiliation. Sam must have done something horrible. In the end he was 5mins late for a team stretch after Murray decides out of the blue, with a month left in the season and 3 years into his tenure to implement rules about being late for anything. Then doesn’t plan for the possibility a player might actually violate this new rule.

Murray was such a clown. The damage he did was enormous.

No idea if the firing of Brandon and Kim Pegula taking over has led to more help with personal issues and problems for the players. I do remember Botts was involved with helping Lehner once they found out what he was dealing with. Lehner mentioned he kept in touch over the summer after we let him go.
The last part is 100% correct and was easily the best most admirable thing Botts has ever done.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
@Zip15

Worry less about blame and think logically.. If a player has a puck carrier near him coming at speed in the NZ during a 3v3 and another opposing player trailing behind. Who is the more dangerous problem he should worry about? And who is the player he should let his teammates worry about? Particularly when he can’t see where his teammates are.

Erod should have taken on the immediate threat of the puck carrier and let his teammates worry about the others.

Reactions: Zman5778

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
The idea that the Buffalo fans are so hard and brutal is rubbish. I mean could you imagine if, say Philly missed the playoffs for a decade? There'd be riots outside the arena with people torching cars and hurling petrol bombs at the arenas. In terms of anger Sabres fans have been as mellow as you could possibly find after all they've been put through.
The post I responded to was about despondency and depression. The idea that I was referring to hard and brutal is rubbish. :laugh:

Reactions: sabremike

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The post I responded to was about despondency and depression. The idea that I was referring to hard and brutal is rubbish. :laugh:
Fair, but in terms of depression and dispondency it's still far less than could be reasonably expected. Like we aren't even near Cincinnati Bengals level despair yet.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
I was at the game tonight. Probably one of the worst officiating jobs I've seen all year in any game, but it felt good to give it to the refs along with the rest of the crowd.

other than that, Carolina outplayed us up until about halfway through the 2nd, then it was all sabres. Bummer to lose in ot (especially after a totally confusing call by the ref) but I'm proud of how we played

just as a side note, eichel is an absolute monster out there. I am so impressed with his game. He has developed really nicely and is gonna be a force to be reckoned with if he ever gets the supporting cast behind him.

Sheary, vesey, scandella, erod, mccabe, and risto all looked overmatched. Plug like tbh. And dahlin continued to struggle. He needs his confidence back because he's not playing with much rn. Okposo was also very meh. Joki was our best dman tonight, far and away. Mittelstadt also looked phenomenal. He is gonna be special if he ever gets some real linemates

Last edited:

Member 308457

The point is: how does Lehner get to the point of despondency where his issues derail him so thoroughly. The guy was drinking beer by the case. There is a lot of swirl about how poor the team was at keeping the mental health of their players as a priority.

Losing big consistently without any chance. Individually, he knew he was good but the incompetence of the organization, from top down must have weighed heavily on Lehner. How do you carry on when you know you don't have a chance? How do you face fans that boo you every game? This is an organization that set an NHL record for scoring the least goals in a year, several years in a row. A certain amount of hopelessness must have creeped in. The different coaches, the mass changing of players...with no hope in the minors. He was going through the throes of professional suicide.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Are people really putting that on ERod? Dahlin ****ed up that coverage royally. Went to the left side of the ice where a player was already covered, left ERod to defend two players, and then was lost at sea in his defensive zone. Absolutely pitiful.

Wait your not supposed to switch sides in the middle of a rush when your teammates have no chance to react??.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
I was at the game tonight. Probably one of the worst officiating jobs I've seen all year in any game, but it felt good to give it to the refs along with the rest of the crowd.

other than that, Carolina outplayed us up until about halfway through the 2nd, then it was all sabres. Bummer to lose in ot (especially after a totally confusing call by the ref) but I'm proud of how we played

just as a side note, eichel is an absolute monster out there. I am so impressed with his game. He has developed really nicely and is gonna be a force to be reckoned with if he ever gets the supporting cast behind him.

Sheary, vesey, scandella, erod, mccabe, and risto all looked overmatched. Plug like tbh. And dahlin continued to struggle. He needs his confidence back because he's not playing with much rn. Okposo was also very meh. Joki was our best dman tonight, far and away. Mittelstadt also looked phenomenal. He is gonna be special if he ever gets some real linemates

Eichel was sulking all game and that might've been the best game from Risto in his entire career. Agree with the rest.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
How does Larsson score a goal? Skinner shoots it off him and it goes in the net... That's how, lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad