GDT: Carolina Hurricanes @ Buffalo Sabres 7PM 11.14.2019

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
meeh can get angry at least they showed some fightback this game onward and upward.
I don't think people are angry at the effort. They are angry because they aren't doing anything to address the teams lack of success, unless Lazar counts.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
The idea that the Buffalo fans are so hard and brutal is rubbish. I mean could you imagine if, say Philly missed the playoffs for a decade? There'd be riots outside the arena with people torching cars and hurling petrol bombs at the arenas. In terms of anger Sabres fans have been as mellow as you could possibly find after all they've been put through.

It's more that Buffalo fans are more gullible than most and will buy anything WGR and the Sabres will sell them to be excited about. Considering that we change coaches and management every handful of years under Pegula, it doesn't allow Buffalo fans to get too low. When Nolan was fired and Byslma was brought on, fans were sold on Byslma winning a Stanley Cup. There was excitement. When Byslma failed and there was unrest, Murray was fired and fans relaxed. When Botterill was hired, fans were sold on someone who has not done the job of actual team construction, with pure hype of him being this up and coming management prodigy. And the fans were exceptionally excited for the future. Housley was hired and the hype of an exciting offensive to be implemented (because "look what he did in Nashville"). Hell, people were excited that ROR was traded because of the narrative that the media and Sabres that "we don't need someone like that here" without thinking to themselves that maybe, just maybe the coaching staff and management decisions led to that situation. Then Housley bombed and fans became unruly. So bring on the next coach, Ralph Krueger. Please find me a fanbase just as excited to hire a guy that, at best, produced average results, that was out of professional hockey leagues for years, as this fanbase.

Since Pegula has been hired, we have been sold one pile of **** after another.

Last edited:

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
It's more that Buffalo fans are more gullible than most and will buy anything WGR and the Sabres will sell them to be excited about. Considering that we change coaches and management every handful of years under Pegula, it doesn't allow Buffalo fans to get too low. When Nolan was fired and Byslma was brought on, fans were sold on Byslma winning a Stanley Cup. There was excitement. When Byslma failed and there was unrest, Murray was fired and fans relaxed. When Botterill was hired, fans were sold on someone who has not done job of actual team construction, with pure hype of him being this up and coming management prodigy. And the fans were exceptionally excited for the future. Housley was hired and the hype of an exciting offensive to be implemented (because "look what he did in Nashville"). Hell, people were excited that ROR was traded because of the narrative that the media and Sabres that "we don't need someone like that here" without thinking to themselves that maybe, just maybe the coaching staff and management decisions led to that situation. Then Housley bombed and fans became unruly. So bring on the next coach, Ralph Krueger. Please find me a fanbase just as excited to hire a guy that, at best, produced average results, that was out of professional hockey leagues for years, as this fanbase.

Since Pegula has been hired, we have been sold one pile of **** after another.
Do you realize Pegula is the single least successful owner in the entire league (Yes, even less successful results wise than even freaking Melynik)? Think about how insane that is.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Do you realize Pegula is the single least successful owner in the entire league (Yes, even less successful results wise than even freaking Melynik)? Think about how insane that is.

fully aware, and to this day I still agree with the idea of a rebuild. I just thought there would be a more veteran experience presence in coaching and management positions overseeing these important aspects of the rebuild. I'm almost on the train of thought that the Buffalo Sabres will be sold before they make the playoffs again; keyword almost.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Losing big consistently without any chance. Individually, he knew he was good but the incompetence of the organization, from top down must have weighed heavily on Lehner. How do you carry on when you know you don't have a chance? How do you face fans that boo you every game? This is an organization that set an NHL record for scoring the least goals in a year, several years in a row. A certain amount of hopelessness must have creeped in. The different coaches, the mass changing of players...with no hope in the minors. He was going through the throes of professional suicide.

Per his own accounts, he had issues before he came to Buffalo (see: father, abusive) and they spiralled in his time in WNY. They've had a handful of players with issues in the last few years.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
fully aware, and to this day I still agree with the idea of a rebuild. I just thought there would be a more veteran experience presence in coaching and management positions overseeing these important aspects of the rebuild. I'm almost on the train of thought that the Buffalo Sabres will be sold before they make the playoffs again; keyword almost.

I wonder if Pegula found gas by thinking, "Hey, let's keep hiring people who have no experience in their jobs to do jobs!" like he has with the Sabres?

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Thinking back on the game tonight I think I saw the writing on the wall for Eichel and Reinhart.. from Reinhart's frustration slapping the puck at the net and trash talking the ref after the whistle for the unintentional high stick and Jack's body language both are tired and want out like Ristolainen. Especially Risto getting the game misconduct at the end as well.

Leaders dont do these things.

Part of me wants the team to fold so I can be free to chose another team. I cant bandwagon after 25 years but I'm tired as well.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Thinking back on the game tonight I think I saw the writing on the wall for Eichel and Reinhart.. from Reinhart's frustration slapping the puck at the net and trash talking the ref after the whistle for the unintentional high stick and Jack's body language both are tired and want out like Ristolainen.

Part of me wants the team to fold so I can be free to chose another team. I cant bandwagon after 25 years but I'm tired as well.

yep, they have very similar body language that we saw during the low moments of Bylsma when they checked out with him, and Housley at the lowest time.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
The psychics on this board are plentiful. McJesus had the same lash outs and “sulking” last year. Crosby has done the same thing. I do not attribute to any thing other than frustration at the officiating, and the fact that the Canes were allowed to hook and grab all night.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
The psychics on this board are plentiful. McJesus had the same lash outs and “sulking” last year. Crosby has done the same thing. I do not attribute to any thing other than frustration at the officiating, and the fact that the Canes were allowed to hook and grab all night.

This right here is my takeaway from going to the game. The reffing was a joke, and the Sabres were getting held the entire game.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
This right here is my takeaway from going to the game. The reffing was a joke, and the Sabres were getting held the entire game.
the refs were abysmal. watching the games at home is one thing, but getting to really see the whole ice and get a sense of the 'temperature' of the game... the officials were, for large portions of it, totally incompetent.

there were many moments last night where i just got out of my seat and started screaming cause they weren't calling stuff. and as the game progressed it seemed to get even more ridiculous (haula two hander, the tackling situation in ot). it was a setup tbh

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
That was bad enough, but the ensuing seconds where he looked completely lost may have been even worse.

I was pretty relaxed about some of his gaffes to start the year, but now I'm thinking to myself, how is it possible we didn't bring in a Tallinder/Numminen vet to help him.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I wonder if Pegula found gas by thinking, "Hey, let's keep hiring people who have no experience in their jobs to do jobs!" like he has with the Sabres?
I'm hearing Pegula made a deal and there's talk the other party was the devil.
Pegula: "I'll do anything if you tell me where to find the gas"
Satan: "Ok, here's the gas and an eternity of losing sports teams"

Orange Fanta

Jun 22, 2016
I'm hearing Pegula made a deal and there's talk the other party was the devil.
Pegula: "I'll do anything if you tell me where to find the gas"
Satan: "Ok, here's the gas and an eternity of losing sports teams"
Plot twist kim is satan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad