Rumor: Carolina "hard after" Jonas Brodin

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
F18E59A0-A0C4-40FE-899D-8C25B2377EAC.jpeg

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
But we’d finally have Kapanen. He’d turn into a 50goal scorer then.
Doubtful, but possible I guess. He could be a 30 goal guy, but my projection for him is a 20-25 goal scorer hard working PKer that can score big goals.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I'm not totally against moving Necas for the right piece. He is expansion draft exempt and cost controlled for the next 6.5 years. But that piece isn't a (high-end) 2nd pairing D with 1.5 years left on his deal and that's not a gap that can be filled with sweeteners.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I don't really know, but I do know if they still had Faulk they wouldn't be shopping around for other defensemen. We had a stellar D last year and they HAD to go dicking with it.

Had they kept him he would have walked for nothing this summer. It’s good asset management.

It doesn’t help that Gardiner has been disappointing and that TVR didn’t come back strong from surgery.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I see adding Jonas but not why going so hard, spending so much... not that Jonas isn't/doesn't at least approach top shelf, but CAR is already stud D city.

Better off w/guy who offers a chunk of that for a lot less.

Rangers just want cap relief and have emerging D.

would do expiring edmundsen, tvr + rangers 2nd car now owns
for
Skjei + rangers 3rd

Reactions: AndreiThreeK

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Had they kept him he would have walked for nothing this summer. It’s good asset management.

It doesn’t help that Gardiner has been disappointing and that TVR didn’t come back strong from surgery.

I don't care. We would have had a better D than we do now for this year. And since we got Joel Edmundson which you guys apparently don't like, and some rando prospect, I don't that those two have any impact on the org versus Justin "walking".

This obsession with "asset management" goes too far in some cases in Raleigh.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I don't care. We would have had a better D than we do now for this year. And since we got Joel Edmundson which you guys apparently don't like, and some rando prospect, I don't that those two have any impact on the org versus Justin "walking".

This obsession with "asset management" goes too far in some cases in Raleigh.

Bokk isn’t a rando prospect. Are we even sure we would have a better defense with him? Faulk was very up and down.

asset management is how you win over a long period of time.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Bokk isn’t a rando prospect. Are we even sure we would have a better defense with him? Faulk was very up and down.

asset management is how you win over a long period of time.

I guess that's debatable- I was a big Faulk proponent, others aren't. I think we can ALL agree he is way better the Gardiner.

I know that it is hindsight, but the decision to mess with last year's D corps has not panned out, is my main theme.Thank God the forwards have picked up the slack.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
What does Suzuki do for us that Khovanov, Beckman, Kaprizov, Boldy, and Hentges don't, again?

Brodin is a #10 oa that turned out far better than most #10 oa do. He has played top 4(and top 2) since he was 19, and a skinny little thing. He is a superb skater, has filled out, has puck skills, and is in his prime. His offensive stats are held back because he is on a team that is filled with offensively talented D, so he is depended upon to be a shutdown guy(i.e. out on the ice against Kane and McDavid), albeit one who can move the puck. He is probably the best defender on a team with some excellent ones in Suter(lost a step) and Spurgeon(can argue is just as good), and is most certainly the Dman who is most likely to still be with the team in 8 years, as well as the guy who will age best.

If CAR thinks Necas is too much to pay then we have a fundamentally different view of value.

Reactions: nstarjim

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
What does Suzuki do for us that Khovanov, Beckman, Kaprizov, Boldy, and Hentges don't, again?

Brodin is a #10 oa that turned out far better than most #10 oa do. He has played top 4(and top 2) since he was 19, and a skinny little thing. He is a superb skater, has filled out, has puck skills, and is in his prime. His offensive stats are held back because he is on a team that is filled with offensively talented D, so he is depended upon to be a shutdown guy(i.e. out on the ice against Kane and McDavid), albeit one who can move the puck. He is probably the best defender on a team with some excellent ones in Suter(lost a step) and Spurgeon(can argue is just as good), and is most certainly the Dman who is most likely to still be with the team in 8 years, as well as the guy who will age best.

If CAR thinks Necas is too much to pay then we have a fundamentally different view of value.
Their contract statuses and ages make this a very reasonable stance by Carolina.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

The answer to two and a half of those is "plays center".

Reactions: AKL

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
This isn't Fenton where your GM can just steal him. Russo said wild aren't trading him for nothing short of overpayment.
A.) I am a Wild fan
B.) Even assuming that what you say Russo said is true, it doesn't contradict what I said

If Guerin's stance ends up being that Brodin is only traded for overpayment (and we can argue endlessly about what "overpayment" would be) it doesn't require Carolina to offer it. I absolutely agree that, going by the pieces Hurricanes fans think would be on the table, there's not an appealing deal here. They'd be better off pursuing someone like Martinez.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
This isn't Fenton where your GM can just steal him. Russo said wild aren't trading him for nothing short of overpayment.

As well they shouldn't. Brodin is still young enough and good enough to be part of any rebuild. Because he doesn't put up huge offensive numbers, many fans outside of Minnesota think he's just one of those "stay at home" defenders, which he is not. He's an elite skater and is excellent at moving the puck outside of the D zone without losing possession. If the Wild had more skilled forwards, his offensive production would be greater than it is.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
If the ask for Brodin is a Necas-level asset, Waddell says thanks but we’ll look elsewhere. I get the want/need to get an “overpayment” type of return, but look at what Muzzin returned last year-a late 1st and 2 prospects. I think that, at most, would be similar to what CAR would offer.

That does not work? Thanks for your time, good luck with the sale or re-signing of Brodin after 7/1/20.

Hockeyfan200

Jun 15, 2019
If the ask for Brodin is a Necas-level asset, Waddell says thanks but we’ll look elsewhere. I get the want/need to get an “overpayment” type of return, but look at what Muzzin returned last year-a late 1st and 2 prospects. I think that, at most, would be similar to what CAR would offer.

That does not work? Thanks for your time, good luck with the sale or re-signing of Brodin after 7/1/20.

If you think muzzin or brodin are on same level, well you don't know anything about brodin's game

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Okay, so Carolina's 1st + Julien Gauthier + Jamieson Rees
I'd do it. Minn would have to take back a contract (Edmundson) to make the salaries work.

I don’t consider that value drastically different from Necas alone. It’s just the Fiala deal again. One better piece instead of a few lesser ones.

I get why Carolina would prefer quantity over quality, but value wise it’s there.

Reactions: nstarjim

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Brodin would be a nice addition. Is brodin a first, a guy that will be in the top 9 next season, and the 2nd fastest rising prospect out there better than Joel?

I don’t think so. What would we get for Joel? A 2nd, maybe?

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Gauthier >>> Grundstrom
Ress >>> Durzi

Carolina 1st + Jack Drury + Luke Martin would be closer.

Agree, don’t see CAR giving up a Rees/Gauthier level prospect on top of a 1st as well. I’d personally be leery of trading away the CAR 1st at this point with the playoff race so close. It’d be such a Canes thing to happen to trade the 1st, just miss the playoffs, then have that pick jump from something like 13OA to top 3.

I think the TOR 1st would be the one to potentially be dealt. In the end, I don’t really think CAR will pay the price it may take to add a Brodin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad