Rumor: Carolina "hard after" Jonas Brodin

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
The Carolina part sounded well-sourced. Friedman’s rumor about the general desire for a Top 4 defensive defenseman offers some supporting evidence.

Russo’s should we say informed speculation about the Minnesota side was interesting enough. I didn’t think much of the actual trade potential before, but that changes things a little bit. I'm not penciling Brodin into Carolina's PO lineup, mind you.

It’s interesting to keep tabs on. The local beat reporters rarely get scoops and don’t speculate about player movement much either.
If it was well sourced it would be in print on the Athletic. He just touched on the topic in his last gamer:
It would not be shocking if teams are calling on Foligno, whose value may never be higher, and defenseman Jonas Brodin, who could be expendable with the emergence of Soucy. However, beware there, because the rookie has severely come back to earth the past few weeks.

One team that is very interested in Brodin, sources say, is the Carolina Hurricanes, who have 17 draft picks the next two years including two first-rounders this June.

As for local beat writers and speculation this is what he does all year long on that podcast. You could pick one at random and have a hard time not landing on one where he was speculating about someone getting traded.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I'd think that, as it stands now, Wild would be better off trading Dumba. And I say this as someone who thought Brodin should've been traded last season already. Brodin has been so much better this year and if one has to go and one signed, it could be Dumba who's getting moved.

I'd imagine Dumba has more value even with his struggles this year. Has a longer contract, strong pedigree, that star ability that everyone is looking for. You're not going get a high impact forward for Brodin, it's going to more like the Muzzin trade, but you should get one for Dumba.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I'd think that, as it stands now, Wild would be better off trading Dumba. And I say this as someone who thought Brodin should've been traded last season already. Brodin has been so much better this year and if one has to go and one signed, it could be Dumba who's getting moved.

I'd imagine Dumba has more value even with his struggles this year. Has a longer contract, strong pedigree, that star ability that everyone is looking for. You're not going get a high impact forward for Brodin, it's going to more like the Muzzin trade, but you should get one for Dumba.
Dumba, begrudgingly, would be my preference as well. Spurgeon's new deal and Menell looking ready for a promotion make that more fathomable than it was a year ago.

The timing of his slump makes it hard to imagine that going well for us, though.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
If it was well sourced it would be in print on the Athletic. He just touched on the topic in his last gamer:

As for local beat writers and speculation this is what he does all year long on that podcast. You could pick one at random and have a hard time not landing on one where he was speculating about someone getting traded.

I meant the beat reporters down here. The reason why I've been keeping track is that we most likely wouldn't hear anything about it from this side until it were to happen. It's getting to the deadline and I'm desperate for legit trade talk, I guess.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Hamilton literally just went down more than likely long term. I wonder if this ups CAR’s interest in a guy like Brodin? I still don’t think they’d overpay, but Donnie Wadz might have Billie G on the line at the moment...

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Hamilton literally just went down more than likely long term. I wonder if this ups CAR’s interest in a guy like Brodin? I still don’t think they’d overpay, but Donnie Wadz might have Billie G on the line at the moment...

Again, I don't think interest is keeping them from making a deal. It's more likely the cost. I can't speak to what Guerin is looking for, but if Carolina is offering, at most, 1st+B prospect, it's likely not going to happen.

But if you're now more focused on a Hamilton replacement, it sounds like Dumba could be available too.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'd be equally curious to know if Hamilton going down convinced them that this isn't a great year to push any chips in on.

I know Hamilton is a key part of that team, but if we were in that situation and Suter went down, I don't think the Wild GM would just give up.
Might be a situation where they're just more inclined to look for guys with term, as opposed to pure rentals.

But you're right, they also might be more inclined to wait and see how the team plays up to the deadline, as opposed to going after a guy right now.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
They traded skinner and got a high 2nd, high 3rd, wouldn’t have paid him that ridiculous contract and had their 2nd best season after trading him. Right move.

They didn’t “sign” Reimer. Trading for Reimer was getting rid of Darling, and Ned hasn’t been as good as you think. Good move dumping Darling.

Faulk: fair point.

Ferland has gotten hurt again and has been ineffective. Was the right move not signing him.

I think what we are seeing, and not used to as Canes fans, is a front office that isn’t afraid to make moves. Some won’t work out, some will.

So, I'm not trying to justify or say that I was correct in all those opinions, merely making the point that those were my major beefs, they were pretty commonly held views, and I don't hate everything the borg does. Certainly in hindsight the Skinner and Ferland things seem like the right move.

The Ned thing...I can pretty much promise you he wouldn't routinely give up the 1st goal on the 1st shot like Mrazek has done yet again tonight, and Reimer seems to love doing.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Hopefully Hamilton is OK, or at least, the injury is less serious than it looks. Should it be bad, I think any CAR trade that involves Dmen will involve a completely different calculus. You replace Hamilton with a Dumba type, not a Brodin type. Or you just do nothing at all.

Sucks for CAR...reminds me of when Suter broke his foot really badly on the eve of going into the playoffs.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Well the Hamilton injury might surely change the dynamics here. Now I have no clue what Carolina might do or who they might go after
I wonder if it actually makes them more likely to pursue a goalie than bolster the blueline. I'm not sure how your goalies have done this year, but as a Wild fan I definitely appreciate what an affect shoddy goaltending can have.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I wonder if it actually makes them more likely to pursue a goalie than bolster the blueline. I'm not sure how your goalies have done this year, but as a Wild fan I definitely appreciate what an affect shoddy goaltending can have.

They’ve been decent but inconsistent- pretty much exactly what you would expect from those two.

I believe it was Lebrun who said recently that if Chicago puts Lehner on the market he expects Carolina to be very interested.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

I think that's likely. Without Hamilton I can see Carolina playing a lot more conservative and upgrading in net would help that strategic change.

There will be a lot less competition for a G rental at the deadline than a top 4 D as well.

Reactions: Tryamw

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I'd be equally curious to know if Hamilton going down convinced them that this isn't a great year to push any chips in on.
Honestly, it doesn't matter how good our defense is if our goalies keep playing like trash.

They’ve been decent but inconsistent- pretty much exactly what you would expect from those two.

I believe it was Lebrun who said recently that if Chicago puts Lehner on the market he expects Carolina to be very interested.
Outside of the back to back shutouts against bad teams, both Mrazek and Reimer have been awful since the meltdown against Toronto before Christmas. Mrazek got beat 6 times on 18 shots last night (one called back for offsides, and two saved by the defense on the goalline), and he's supposed to be the dependable starter.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Honestly, it doesn't matter how good our defense is if our goalies keep playing like trash.

Outside of the back to back shutouts against bad teams, both Mrazek and Reimer have been awful since the meltdown against Toronto before Christmas. Mrazek got beat 6 times on 18 shots last night (one called back for offsides, and two saved by the defense on the goalline), and he's supposed to be the dependable starter.

Hes supposed to be the starter but I don’t think anyone has ever used the word “dependable” to describe Mrazek :laugh:

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
I have no idea how serious these talks are.

But, GMBG has a bit more leverage at this moment, with Hamilton's unfortunate injury. We'll see if CAR feels desperate.

My favorite trades are the ones where you can feel good about the entire thing for both sides, and I like CAR. Brodin is much better than most the hockey world knows. He now has a man body and the confidence of playing big minutes and the better half of 8 seasons.

I sooner let Dumba go, but Brodin will or at least should attain something good coming back MN's way.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I have no idea how serious these talks are.

But, GMBG has a bit more leverage at this moment, with Hamilton's unfortunate injury. We'll see if CAR feels desperate.

My favorite trades are the ones where you can feel good about the entire thing for both sides, and I like CAR. Brodin is much better than most the hockey world knows. He now has a man body and the confidence of playing big minutes and the better half of 8 seasons.

I sooner let Dumba go, but Brodin will or at least should attain something good coming back MN's way.

If Hamilton isn't back to strength for the Playoffs then the Canes Cup chances take a huge hit. That makes them less likely to pay significant assets for a short-term piece, IMO. The point of adding Brodin would be to solidify the top-4 for a deep run and that foundation is not there to be solidified at the moment. As Hamilton becomes a UFA at the same time as Brodin there would be a ton of risk there.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
AS a less sexy, but also less expensive(why is it always this way?)alternative, CAR trades for Pateryn(RHD solid SAH #5D), Gardiner moves up into the top 4 and does what he is best at, scoring points.

Also, I don't know how much BUF really wants to move Risto, but wouldn't he be the perfect piece to replace Hamilton should the latter's injury be long term?

Last edited:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
AS a less sexy, but also less expensive(why is it always this way?)alternative, CAR trades for Pateryn(RHD solid SAH #5D), Gardiner moves up into the top 4 and does what he is best at, scoring points.

Also, I don't know how much BUF really wants to move Risto, but wouldn't he be the perfect piece to replace Hamilton should the latter's injury be long term?
I will need to ask a 2nd, a 3rd and a 6th on top of Risto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad