Rumor: Carolina "hard after" Jonas Brodin

nstarjim

Jul 5, 2018
Gauthier >>> Grundstrom
Ress >>> Durzi

Carolina 1st + Jack Drury + Luke Martin would be closer.
Think quality over quantity. We don't need a lot of meh for one good player. Comes across like a leafs fan offering 3 meh pieces for pesce

Last edited:

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Think quality over quantity. We don't need a lot of meh for one good player. Comes across like a leafs fan offering 3 meh pieces for pesce
You wouldn't trade Brodin for a late 1st, Sam Hentges and a defenseman with 24 points in 4 years with Michigan?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Gauthier >>> Grundstrom
Ress >>> Durzi

Carolina 1st + Jack Drury + Luke Martin would be closer.

Brodin is younger than Muzzin. Can play both sides pretty well. Drury and Martin do absolutely nothing. The foundation was a 1st and two prospects. Gauthier and Ress are prospects right?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
More like Minnesota adds a 4th and Carolina adds a 2nd. Necas is good, but he's still unproven. It'd be like the Granlund/Fiala trade.

Isn't Fiala doing better than Granlund? As well as having a better contract? Seems like a poor example.

The issue isn't how good Brodin is. Contract length is part of the equation as is the upcoming expansion draft.

I'll never say never, but I'll be quite surprised if Carolina trade Necas even straight up for Brodin, much less adding picks or other prospects. Yes, Necas isn't as proven, but he also is also developing very well, showing incredible skill, is still on an ELC, is exempt from the expansion draft and under team control for another 6-7 years. Brodin is a UFA in 1.5 years and even if he signed an extension before that (not likely), he would then need to be protected, along with Slavin, Pesce, Hamilton (assuming they sign him to an extension), and Bean also. Then there's Aho, Teravainen, Staal, Svechnikov, Foegele, Wallmark, and a host of other forwards.

If that's the asking price, I hope the Canes pass, like they did a couple years ago when the Duchene asking price was too high. If the Wild gets a better offer from someone else, that's fine. Teams talk all the time and only a small % of them probably ever come to fruition.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Isn't Fiala doing better than Granlund? As well as having a better contract? Seems like a poor example.

The issue isn't how good Brodin is. Contract length is part of the equation as is the upcoming expansion draft.

I'll never say never, but I'll be quite surprised if Carolina trade Necas even straight up for Brodin, much less adding picks or other prospects. Yes, Necas isn't as proven, but he also is also developing very well, showing incredible skill, is still on an ELC, is exempt from the expansion draft and under team control for another 6-7 years. Brodin is a UFA in 1.5 years and even if he signed an extension before that (not likely), he would then need to be protected, along with Slavin, Pesce, Hamilton (assuming they sign him to an extension), and Bean also. Then there's Aho, Teravainen, Staal, Svechnikov, Foegele, Wallmark, and a host of other forwards.

If that's the asking price, I hope the Canes pass, like they did a couple years ago when the Duchene asking price was too high. If the Wild gets a better offer from someone else, that's fine. Teams talk all the time and only a small % of them probably ever come to fruition.
I'll point it out again: Brodin's contract expires the summer of the expansion draft, so he won't be under contract and won't require protection. Seattle will have an exclusive window to negotiate with UFAs and if Brodin does sign with them he'll count as Carolina's selection.

I don't know that this would work as well with a team that isn't Minnesota, but my hope with Brodin is that they'll just work out something in pricinple beforehand and put it in writing once the draft is over. There would be a risk that Brodin would sign elsewhere as a UFA, but I get the feeling that would be unlikely.

Again, that plan might not translate well to another team, but if he ended up liking Carolina it's something to bear in mind.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I don't know that this would work as well with a team that isn't Minnesota, but my hope with Brodin is that they'll just work out something in pricinple beforehand and put it in writing once the draft is over. There would be a risk that Brodin would sign elsewhere as a UFA, but I get the feeling that would be unlikely.

I don't think it's fair to dismiss valid concerns about the timing of his contract with gut feelings about a man I suspect you've never interacted with bereft a pane of glass.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Have you ever interacted with Jonas Brodin bereft a pane of glass?
To be clear, I think it's unlikely that they would work out a deal in principle beforehand only to have him change his mind a month later and walk to July 1st. If he wasn't interested in extending then he wouldn't extend, but that issue's separate from the expansion draft.

Edit: In regards to your new post, I didn't dismiss anything.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I don't want to see the Canes trade Necas. Kid has a lot of upside and a lot of tools. Speed, dangles, vision, good hands. Can see him being a ppg player in his prime.

Hockeyfan200

Jun 15, 2019
Wild aren't trading brodin. Especially after hearing the way Russo talked about brodin today it better be an overpayment to trade him.

Carolina fans thinking they can get top 2 d for nothing

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
To be clear, I think it's unlikely that they would work out a deal in principle beforehand only to have him change his mind a month later and walk to July 1st. If he wasn't interested in extending then he wouldn't extend, but that issue's separate from the expansion draft.

Edit: In regards to your new post, I didn't dismiss anything.

But his contract is an issue tied to his trade value. He's 1.5 years away from UFA and can't sign a deal for another 6 months.

I don't see Carolina giving up a 21 year old (Happy birthday Necas) rookie on pace for 50 points in his rookie season and making the lack of RH forwards an even bigger issue for Carolina.

The Canes could use another D, but the price here will be too rich for what the need is and too rich for the amount of time Carolina should have their core together. Better to keep Necas developing with this core than move him for 1.5 seasons of another player.

Reactions: Cane mutiny

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
But his contract is an issue tied to his trade value. He's 1.5 years away from UFA and can't sign a deal for another 6 months.

I don't see Carolina giving up a 21 year old (Happy birthday Necas) rookie on pace for 50 points in his rookie season and making the lack of RH forwards an even bigger issue for Carolina.

The Canes could use another D, but the price here will be too rich for what the need is and too rich for the amount of time Carolina should have their core together. Better to keep Necas developing with this core than move him for 1.5 seasons of another player.
Agreed. I don't even think the UFA-gambit affects his value all that much, it's mostly just trivia.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I'll point it out again: Brodin's contract expires the summer of the expansion draft, so he won't be under contract and won't require protection. Seattle will have an exclusive window to negotiate with UFAs and if Brodin does sign with them he'll count as Carolina's selection.

Again, that plan might not translate well to another team, but if he ended up liking Carolina it's something to bear in mind.

Yeah, I'm fully aware of that as we discussed it earlier in the thread. What I was trying to say, is that when it comes to his trade value, the Canes are trading for 1.5 years of Brodin. Maybe they can sign him to an extension (but would need to protect him) or maybe they could "work out a deal in principle", like you said, but neither are something the Canes can count on, and the while you think it's unlikely he'd sign elsewhere as a UFA, as you said, it may not translate to another team and IMO, the Canes can't bank on that. .

Therefore, the Canes would have to value him accordingly, a guy signed for 1.5 years. The rest of it is just speculation.

Reactions: Kaljis

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

I am not offering anything, I was responding to a Muzzin deal corollary. I was pointing out that Gauthier and Rees are considerably better prospects than Grundstrom and Durzi. Right now Gauthier is on pace for a 46 goal, 64 point full season in the AHL. Grudstrom is pacing a 21 goal, 46 point year. Durzi is doing OK as a late 2nd round pick but Jamieson Rees is pacing nearly 2 points per game in the OHL in his D+1 year.

Your comparison in Pesce is signed for 5.5 more years at $4 million per year. If Brodin had that contract he would be worth a boatload (Necas++). Unfortunately he has 1.5 years left and the market for a good 2nd pair D with 1.5 years left is roughly a 1st + a B prospect/pick or two

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Wild aren't trading brodin. Especially after hearing the way Russo talked about brodin today it better be an overpayment to trade him.

Carolina fans thinking they can get top 2 d for nothing

Stop with the nonsense. Very few, if any are saying that.

The only real contention I see among the fan bases is that Canes fans don't want to give up someone like Necas, who is on his ELC and under team control for a long time for a guy that is a UFA in 1.5 years. Most Minn. fans don't want to give up Brodin for a package of unknowns (picks/prospects) and don't want to trade him unless the value is really good. Both positions are completely reasonable and it's why trades are hard in the NHL.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad