Rumor: Carolina "hard after" Jonas Brodin

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I don't think you have to be willing to overpay for the interest to be interpreted as aggressive pursuit. If say Waddell is calling Geurin on a weekly basis to check in and see if anything has changed with regards to Brodin's availability, that qualifies.

I don’t think Brodin’s availability really changes week to week. Everyone on the team (without NMC’s) has been made available for the right price.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Lots of different ways of interpreting this.

1. If you are asking me why, its because we talk about this on the Leaf board, and I'm curious.

2. If its something else, I'd say it boils down to Barrie being UFA and Leafs needing more of a defensive defenseman.

It's quite possible he won't be moved. And, if there's no interest, that's OK, because that's part of the reason I ask (to determine this).

Stick with the #1 - its simpler.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Any interest in Barrie?

I doubt it. By all reports, Canes are looking at a guy that will solidify the 2nd pairing "defensively". Barrie doesn't fit that mold. Plus, Hamilton is on the Canes 1st PP unit, which essentially lessens the impact of the best part of Barrie's game.

I know Leafs fans really want their 1st round pick back, but it won't happen without a deal that makes sense for Carolina, and I don't think there is such a deal between the two teams. Barrie seems like the exact opposite type of defenseman the Canes are "reportedly" looking for. Plus he's a pure rental, which I don't think is something the Canes want to give up a 1st round pick for.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
You'd also get Foligno back who has been very good this year as a McGinn/Foegele type glue guy. Its a win now move that could pay off.

And you have Suzuki in the pipeline to soften the blow. At some point you get so many young forwards vying for ice time you start giving them away like St. Louis

Plus you pay back some of the karma on the Rask for Niederriter trade

Necas isn’t on the table, time to move on.

Having too many young forwards is a good problem to have in my book. You can always tune them into picks or use them to fill in roster spots elsewhere. CAR doesn’t yet have this problem as prospects like Suzuki, Rees, Bokk, Puistola, et al, are years away.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I think I remember seeing something about Guerin being on the hunt for a top 6 center. I can see him being perfectly content with holding on to both Brodin and Zucker, and probably other pieces too, until the draft or off-season when one becomes available. We don’t have to trade anyone until October.

So now the ball is in the other teams court. If they want the services of either player for the rest of this season and a playoff push, they’ll pay the price. If not, they’ll either wait or miss out entirely.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I doubt it. By all reports, Canes are looking at a guy that will solidify the 2nd pairing "defensively". Barrie doesn't fit that mold. Plus, Hamilton is on the Canes 1st PP unit, which essentially lessens the impact of the best part of Barrie's game.

I know Leafs fans really want their 1st round pick back, but it won't happen without a deal that makes sense for Carolina, and I don't think there is such a deal between the two teams.

I appreciate the answer & info.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Lots of different ways of interpreting this.

1. If you are asking me why, its because we talk about this on the Leaf board, and I'm curious.

2. If its something else, I'd say it boils down to Barrie being UFA and Leafs needing more of a defensive defenseman.

It's quite possible he won't be moved. And, if there's no interest, that's OK, because that's part of the reason I ask (to determine this).

Stick with the #1 - its simpler.

To get absolutely crazy, the only way I can think CAR would be interested in a guy like Barrie is if they got early wind that Hamilton wanted something like $11M per year on his next deal or that there was no way he’d re-sign in CAR. Only in that imaginary scenario could I see CAR doing something like Barrie (agreeing to a reasonable extension as part of the deal) + Kapanen for Hamilton.

But...

CAR loves Hamilton, he evidently loves it there and he’s one of the most marketed guys in Raleigh. As long as his ask after 7/1/20 isn’t completely outlandish, I don’t think he goes anywhere. If he does ask for something like $11M, then I think they trade him. But then, Barrie will be UFA and available to sign for free as a Hamilton replacement if need be. Totally baseless conjecture on my part...

CAR is rumored to be “in” on guys like Martinez and in this thread’s case Brodin for their defensive play. Barrie is the antithesis of those guys. I actually think Barrie would be a pretty good fit next to Slavin, however, that spot is and more than likely will filled for years to come by Hamilton.

Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
To get absolutely crazy, the only way I can think CAR would be interested in a guy like Barrie is if they got early wind that Hamilton wanted something like $11M per year on his next deal or that there was no way he’d re-sign in CAR. Only in that imaginary scenario could I see CAR doing something like Barrie (agreeing to a reasonable extension as part of the deal) + Kapanen for Hamilton.

But...

CAR loves Hamilton, he evidently loves it there and he’s one of the most marketed guys in Raleigh. As long as his ask after 7/1/20 isn’t completely outlandish, I don’t think he goes anywhere. If he does ask for something like $11M, then I think they trade him. But then, Barrie will be UFA and available to sign for free as a Hamilton replacement if need be. Totally baseless conjecture on my part...

CAR is rumored to be “in” on guys like Martinez and in this thread’s case Brodin for their defensive play. Barrie is the antithesis of those guys. I actually think Barrie would be a pretty good fit next to Slavin, however, that spot is and more than likely will filled for years to come by Hamilton.

Would our D ever suck 5v5 with:

Slavin-Pesce
Gardiner-Barrie
Edmunson-TVR

Slavin and Pesce better never take a penalty and better be ready to play 30 min / night. We couldn't shelter those other two pairings enough. :laugh:

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I don’t think Brodin’s availability really changes week to week. Everyone on the team (without NMC’s) has been made available for the right price.

Minnesota was 3 points out of a playoff spot this time 2 weeks ago. The team's position in the standings would have an impact on the willingness to pull the plug.

Russo got this impression from somewhere. Carolina making Necas available or any other piece that meets the definition of overpayment frankly is not logical, all things considered. If Waddell hasn't called often, then what else could it be?

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

But...

Would our D ever suck 5v5 with:

Slavin-Pesce
Gardiner-Barrie
Edmunson-TVR

Slavin and Pesce better never take a penalty and better be ready to play 30 min / night. We couldn't shelter those other two pairings enough. :laugh:

Barrie may very well play the season out and then sign elsewhere in free agency. I wouldn't be surprised if that happened.

I was just curious as the topic comes up on our board & wanted a little perspective & info from the Canes side.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Barrie may very well play the season out and then sign elsewhere in free agency. I wouldn't be surprised if that happened.

I was just curious as the topic comes up on our board & wanted a little perspective & info from the Canes side.

If Canes needed a "Barrie" type player, then maybe he'd be an option, but from what we all can tell, he's not the type they are looking for. They are looking for a more defensive minded top 4 guy.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Minnesota was 3 points out of a playoff spot this time 2 weeks ago. The team's position in the standings would have an impact on the willingness to pull the plug.

Russo got this impression from somewhere. Carolina making Necas available or any other piece that meets the definition of overpayment frankly is not logical, all things considered. If Waddell hasn't called often, then what else could it be?

It really depends on what Guerin is looking for. Brodin has always been available. There was a report earlier that everyone is available for the right return.

There was also a report that Guerin knows he needs top 6 centers and will actively pursue them.

If you put two and two together, it seems like he might try to use Brodin to secure one.

Carolina can call Guerin every week about Brodin, but if Guerin’s plan is to use Brodin to return that center, and Carolina doesn’t have/want to part with that piece, then you might end up with what we have here.

I’m sure Russo is aware that Carolina is calling on Brodin, and that other teams are calling on other players. What he likely doesn’t know are the players names being tossed around in discussions by the GM’s.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013

Heh, just make the mistake of venturing over to the Leafs board and saw the Barrie for TVR + 1st proposal...yikes, that’s ridiculous.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
It really depends on what Guerin is looking for. Brodin has always been available. There was a report earlier that everyone is available for the right return.

There was also a report that Guerin knows he needs top 6 centers and will actively pursue them.

If you put two and two together, it seems like he might try to use Brodin to secure one.

Carolina can call Guerin every week about Brodin, but if Guerin’s plan is to use Brodin to return that center, and Carolina doesn’t have/want to part with that piece, then you might end up with what we have here.

I’m sure Russo is aware that Carolina is calling on Brodin, and that other teams are calling on other players. What he likely doesn’t know are the players names being tossed around in discussions by the GM’s.
Part of this is probably just Russo managing his team storylines, too. It's January and the Wild are taking a swan dive? Time to trot out the trade rumors.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Part of this is probably just Russo managing his team storylines, too. It's January and the Wild are taking a swan dive? Time to trot out the trade rumors.
It's not even what the fans think Carolina's FO is looking for anymore. It's now what Friedman is reporting that they're trying to acquire.

See #18 --> 31 Thoughts: The fallout from bombshell New Jersey, Vegas firings - Sportsnet.ca

I don’t dispute that Carolina is interested in Brodin. I fully believe they are.

It’s entirely possibly that “hard after” or “aggressive” or any other superlatives used are exaggerations, who knows.

My whole point is that he’s more or less always been available. It’s just a matter of price. He’s always been available, but maybe Carolina keeps checking in to see if Guerin is still asking for the same return as he was two weeks or a month ago or wherever they last asked. It’s not that Guerin has said, no he isn’t, it’s that Carolina hasn’t wanted to pay the price yet.

Maybe that’s what you meant when you said “see if anything has changed in regards to his availability” @Big Daddy Cane?

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

To add on to this, here was Friedman's 31 thoughts blurb:

18. Carolina, despite standing third in shots allowed per game (29.1) and seventh in goals-against per game (2.72), is looking to change up its defensive mix. There were recent shutouts of Arizona and Los Angeles, but concern about the way they defended in several other games. It sounds like they’re looking for someone who thinks D-zone first. They’re not trading Dougie Hamilton, Brett Pesce or Jaccob Slavin, all of whom are playing at least 21:45. They won't make a move unless they get what they want, but will discuss their other blueliners.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
To add on to this, here was Friedman's 31 thoughts blurb:

18. Carolina, despite standing third in shots allowed per game (29.1) and seventh in goals-against per game (2.72), is looking to change up its defensive mix. There were recent shutouts of Arizona and Los Angeles, but concern about the way they defended in several other games. It sounds like they’re looking for someone who thinks D-zone first. They’re not trading Dougie Hamilton, Brett Pesce or Jaccob Slavin, all of whom are playing at least 21:45. They won't make a move unless they get what they want, but will discuss their other blueliners.
Thanks. I'm going to borrow this.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
They won't make a move unless they get what they want, but will discuss their other blueliners.

This part of what Friedman wrote sticks out to me. They want to make a move, but “won’t unless they get what they want.”

I take that to mean they’ve probably identified who they want (Brodin, maybe Martinez) and would imagine they’ve also identified what they’re willing to give up. If a move doesn’t fit or the supposed ask is too much, oh well, no urgency to overpay.

That of course could change if they fall out of the playoff picture in the next few games or weeks. But even then, I’d be shocked if they panic traded Necas or something similar.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I don’t dispute that Carolina is interested in Brodin. I fully believe they are.

It’s entirely possibly that “hard after” or “aggressive” or any other superlatives used are exaggerations, who knows.

My whole point is that he’s more or less always been available. It’s just a matter of price. He’s always been available, but maybe Carolina keeps checking in to see if Guerin is still asking for the same return as he was two weeks or a month ago or wherever they last asked. It’s not that Guerin has said, no he isn’t, it’s that Carolina hasn’t wanted to pay the price yet.

Maybe that’s what you meant when you said “see if anything has changed in regards to his availability” @Big Daddy Cane?

I offered up that post in reply to the Barrie discussion. I should have quoted.

To your point, though, things can change over time. Minnesota trading Brodin for futures doesn't make sense if they're actively competing for a playoff spot. It could make sense if they're not a month later. I'm approaching this from the perspective of what I think Waddell is doing. There's a price I'm willing to pay (Muzzin) and I'm just waiting to see if Minnesota is willing to sell at that price, keeping tabs with Guerin in the process. Trades sometimes involve checking in and monitoring availability. It's not always call and make it happen, a la Rask for Niederreiter.

My initial point was in reply to a post basically questioning the validity of the rumor if Carolina is not offering up Necas. What Carolina fans are saying in regards to Necas does not necessarily conflict with what Russo said.

Reactions: AKL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad