GDT: carnjd

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
You know postponing games has exactly *zero* to do with keeping the players safe, right?

I honestly probably dont know all the reasoning behind it tbh. I'm assuming the main rationale is to avoid having thousands of people together in a closed-off building and then gallivanting back across the u.s.and beyond.

but I'm assuming also some players may not be jazzed about traveling etc in these conditions? i mean, they are young and ostensibly fit, too, but they still have families and extended families.

:shrug:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
The 90s were truly a gift that kept on giving for spider-man and comics in general
tenor.gif

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Do they have rights to play reruns of old playoffs? It's been so long and I've mostly forgot the drama of it.

I'm sure they do but I doubt we get to see them. Would be cool though.

Some of you may think I'm nuts for saying this, but in some ways I cherish the 2009 run more than the 2006 and 2002 runs, and maybe last years run too. 2009 was one of my favorite teams. Prime Eric Staal and Cam Ward, Rod was in decline but still effective, Jussi Jokinen and Sergei Samsonov had career revivals, Dennis Seidenberg and Joni Pitkanen were holding down the fort on the Blue-line (seriously I think Joni was underappreciated during his time here since he was originally traded for Erik Cole). I went to about 10 games that regular season and that group just clicked, even after the coaching change they didn't miss a beat although they went through some rough patches.

The stretch of games leading down to the end of the regular season that year were some of my best memories watching this team play. I was in college then and introduced friends and classmates to the team and the sport, it was so much easier getting college kids interested in this team than it was my High School buddies. I'd walk into class in the mornings wearing my 2006 shirt and they'd say to me, "Dude I watched the game last night, that was a crazy comeback, that Eric Staal dude is a tough motherf***er and Damn, Cam Ward is a f***ing brick wall!", "9 wins in a row! Hell the Panthers can barely win 9 games in a season! This NHL shit is fun!". Hell even at the grocery store and restaurants I frequented people would talk to me about the team. Just amazing the free publicity I gave this team just walking around in my Canes gear and flying my car flags.

And, the NJ and Boston series were just a blast. They were underdogs and to pull off what they did in both series was the epitome of why the Stanley Cup Playoffs are the best. The Boston series was great, every Bruins fan and media writer predicted a Bruins sweep and an eventual Cup parade that summer. The Boston Globe douche-nozzles (Dan Shannagusly? and that guy from Around the Horn on ESPN) wrote their usual "Carolina doesn't deserve Hockey, they are uneducated rednecks" crap.

And then Scott Walker shut them up in game 7 Overtime. His post-game interview with Tripp afterwards still makes me cry.

Unfortunately they went out with a whimper the next round, but they lost to a better team while knocking out two Juggernauts, no shame in that.

Last edited:

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
And, the NJ and Boston series were just a blast. They were underdogs and to pull off what they did in both series was the epitome of why the Stanley Cup Playoffs are the best. The Boston series was great, every Bruins fan and media writer predicted a Bruins sweep and an eventual Cup parade that summer. The Boston Globe douche-nozzles (Dan Shannagusly? and that guy from Around the Horn on ESPN) wrote their usual "Carolina doesn't deserve Hockey, they are uneducated rednecks" crap.

Shaughnessy has always been an ass, and while I don't know the ESPN guy you mentioned, this kind of anti-Canes hot-takery is what made me first hate Mitch Albom. (That was before Tuesdays with Morrie et al came out, which would've also done the trick.) My feelings re ol' Mitch are like an old Jim Rome caller who said of another sports writer: "If I ever see that guy, I'm gonna fight him."

Reactions: HisIceness

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Shaughnessy has always been an ass, and while I don't know the ESPN guy you mentioned, this kind of anti-Canes hot-takery is what made me first hate Mitch Albom. (That was before Tuesdays with Morrie et al came out, which would've also done the trick.) My feelings re ol' Mitch are like an old Jim Rome caller who said of another sports writer: "If I ever see that guy, I'm gonna fight him."

I didn't know anything about Albom until someone here brought it up. The N&O went into detail about it after the Chip incident with the Boston radio station in May and brought up Shaughnessy calling us 'Goobers' or whatever.

I'm guessing Albom was still bitter that Duke and UNC beat Michigans fab five teams in the Final Four, because Michigan is just as redneck-ish as NC is.

Reactions: AD Skinner

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
I didn't know anything about Albom until someone here brought it up. The N&O went into detail about it after the Chip incident with the Boston radio station in May and brought up Shaughnessy calling us 'Goobers' or whatever.

I'm guessing Albom was still bitter that Duke and UNC beat Michigans fab five teams in the Final Four, because Michigan is just as redneck-ish as NC is.

Albom's also probably bitter because freakin Mike Lupica used to hand him his ass on the Sportswriters show every Sunday.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I looked into the chess puzzles on chess.com. Why don't they tell me what my objective is?

"Oh, I ate his Rook. And now it's Solved! Apparently."

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I looked into the chess puzzles on chess.com. Why don't they tell me what my objective is?

"Oh, I ate his Rook. And now it's Solved! Apparently."

Because figuring out the objective is the whole point of the puzzle. There's always one best move. Your job is to find it.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Because figuring out the objective is the whole point of the puzzle. There's always one best move. Your job is to find it.
See, it was the "one best move" thingy that wasn't clear to me. I mean, they could have expected me to find a way to commit a glorious suicide or something.

Reactions: geehaad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad