GDT: carnjd

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
On the off chance this game is played, it will be hard to get excited for. Seems like it’ll be the last for awhile, and have no ramifications on what happens next (whether the season is outright cancelled or starts up at the playoffs, the outcome doesn’t really matter to the Canes).

Reactions: zman77

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I'm hearing it's likely the regular season is over, standings will be frozen and the playoffs will start up in a month with seeding based on today.

NHL was planning to announce all games would be played in empty stadiums, but the NBA pausing everything because a player was infected immediately put an end to those plans. At the very least, the NHL will follow suit this morning.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
How pissed off are you if you are an Islanders fan? 2 points behind Columbus with 2 games in hand. Just outside a playoff spot. That’s the kind of shit that usually happens to us.

As discussed last night, I would be willing to bet it’s a point percentage-based standings since the season will end with everyone having a different amount of games.

That said, if they play games tonight, CBJ could pass NYI in points percentage with a regulation win and a NYI regulation loss. I think we make it no matter what in that point percentage scenario.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
TBH they should postpone the playoffs until... *checks Pesce's recovery timeline*... at least 4 months. You know, for seasonality and all that.

I actually do think the Canes being so young plus going into a Playoffs with a very strong defense (healthy Hamilton/Vatanen) after month(s) of sitting around would bode well for their chances. Plus they have the expert already there with Williams.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
TBH they should postpone the playoffs until... *checks Pesce's recovery timeline*... at least 4 months. You know, for seasonality and all that.

I actually do think the Canes being so young plus going into a Playoffs with a very strong defense (healthy Hamilton/Vatanen) after month(s) of sitting around would bode well for their chances. Plus they have the expert already there with Williams.

Hamilton and Vatanen are valid points.

I'm just worried about Williams with him being a high-risk group and all. ;)

jiitu

Jun 17, 2013
On the off chance this game is played, it will be hard to get excited for. Seems like it’ll be the last for awhile, and have no ramifications on what happens next (whether the season is outright cancelled or starts up at the playoffs, the outcome doesn’t really matter to the Canes).

Actually pretty much opposite. If regular season is cancelled soon, point percentage is the one that matters. It gives very important role for last games now. If it will be cancelled after today, I think no problem in any case, but two game eve still after now, and it all might change.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Actually pretty much opposite. If regular season is cancelled soon, point percentage is the one that matters. It gives very important role for last games now. If it will be cancelled after today, I think no problem in any case, but two game eve still after now, and it all might change.

True, what I’m saying is if there’s an announcement today that this is the last day of games, the most this game could be about is seeding.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Not a big fan of a wild card games for NHL playoffs as a full time idea. But if they do cancel the regular season and end up doing playoffs, I think a wild card game or two for the teams on the bubble would be fair for this instance.

Reactions: zman77

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Not a big fan of a wild card games for NHL playoffs as a full time idea. But if they do cancel the regular season and end up doing playoffs, I think a wild card game or two for the teams on the bubble would be fair for this instance.

Winnipeg missing with a 0.001 points % differential would be pretty funny (0.564 for Calgary vs 0.563 for Winnipeg)

Reactions: cptjeff

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Watching the main forum melt down because there might not be any meaningful hockey in late March or April has me amused. After the last 10 years (before last year), I'm all "welcome to our world, bitches!"

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
about to make rare playoffs appearance

the regular season is cancelled

it's caniac thing

Reactions: Sigurd

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
about to make rare playoffs appearance

the regular season is cancelled

it's caniac thing
I'm curious on what would happen if the season were just delayed. Conceivably, that could give us enough time to get healthy, and if we could have at least Dougie and Vatanan ready to go for the stretch run and playoffs, this delay could be huge for us.

And, we all saw how dominant we were early on this year while everyone else was shaking off the cobwebs from the summer. If that same kind of situation happens again.....

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I'm curious on what would happen if the season were just delayed. Conceivably, that could give us enough time to get healthy, and if we could have at least Dougie and Vatanan ready to go for the stretch run and playoffs, this delay could be huge for us.

And, we all saw how dominant we were early on this year while everyone else was shaking off the cobwebs from the summer. If that same kind of situation happens again.....
I mean you're looking at a month probably minimum...now you're talking hockey going into July (past the draft & free agency start). I think the only way they could conceivably do that (play out the season) is to shorten the Stanley Cup Playoffs to best-of-5 series AND on an accelerated schedule.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->