Prospect Info: Carl Neill, 2015 5th Round Pick (144th Overall)

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
He'll get a chance in the ahl next year perhaps. He is an overager this year and was already eligible this season.

Killing it points wise.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Typically when a junior player dominates his league and position, then he is ready for the next step.

What is the next logical step of progression? The AHL, is it really hard to grasp that he is ready to at least start playing in the AHL :shakehead

By issue was with the "proven" part. That was all.

Should've been clearer about that. My bad.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Typically when a junior player dominates his league and position, then he is ready for the next step.

What is the next logical step of progression? The AHL, is it really hard to grasp that he is ready to at least start playing in the AHL :shakehead

Very often the next step for drafted, unsigned players who get sent directly to junior as 20 year olds is the ECHL.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Very often the next step for drafted, unsigned players who get sent directly to junior as 20 year olds is the ECHL.

They get their chance in the AHL first if they don't perform or dont have the development to keep pace, they get sent down to the ECHL.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I'll give him a contract. McEneny is coming off his ELC and shouldn't be re-signed. Neill has that big shot and offensive instincts you can't teach. If he ever improves his mobility and defense there might be some upside there. The most important thing is the ability to play in the AHL. The Canucks don't need to re-sign guys like Nilsson or Billins.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
They get their chance in the AHL first if they don't perform or dont have the development to keep pace, they get sent down to the ECHL.

If you mean training camp, yeah.

Either way, that's a bit of a walk-back from him having proven that he'd be an AHLer.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Very excited about this prospect. Just keeps PILING up the points and dominating . Very encouraging cant wait to see how he will train in the offseason to continue to expand and improve his game. Sky is the limit :)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
When is the deadline to sign him before he goes back into the draft?.....kinda underwhelming at the two Prospects Tournaments he's been at....but a decent bet for Utica I guess....but aren't both Olson and Brisebois ticketed for the Comets next year?.....not sure they'd go with three rookies on the blueline.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
When is the deadline to sign him before he goes back into the draft?.....kinda underwhelming at the two Prospects Tournaments he's been at....but a decent bet for Utica I guess....but aren't both Olson and Brisebois ticketed for the Comets next year?.....not sure they'd go with three rookies on the blueline.

it is nice to have the battles but some with end up in the ECHL.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Neill won't go back into the draft. He's too old. He will be a UFA instead if the Canucks don't sign him.

Olson isn't signed. Between Olson and Neill, the Canucks may choose Neill.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Neill won't go back into the draft. He's too old. He will be a UFA instead if the Canucks don't sign him.

Olson isn't signed. Between Olson and Neill, the Canucks may choose Neill.

They might sign both with how many empty contract slots we have and will have opening up.

Larsen likely won't be re-signed, Sbisa will likely be taken by Vegas and there's a chance that McEneny, Nilsson and even Pedan might be released.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought I read that Billins has been very good in Utica so he might be retained.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
They might sign both with how many empty contract slots we have and will have opening up.

Larsen likely won't be re-signed, Sbisa will likely be taken by Vegas and there's a chance that McEneny, Nilsson and even Pedan might be released.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought I read that Billins has been very good in Utica so he might be retained.

Could see Larsen, Nilsson, McEneny and Billins all out of the picture next year....as far as Pedan, Jimbo squandered a third-rounder to pry him out of the Islanders....so he'll probably be qualified....but has already cleared waivers once, so apparently not a lot of interest around the league, which is supposed to be starved for d-men.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Could see Larsen, Nilsson, McEneny and Billins all out of the picture next year....as far as Pedan, Jimbo squandered a third-rounder to pry him out of the Islanders....so he'll probably be qualified....but has already cleared waivers once, so apparently not a lot of interest around the league, which is supposed to be starved for d-men.
Are you suppose to get sure fire nhl dmen at low cap hits for 3rd round picks? Was worth the risk did not work out.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

Chad Billins was signed by the Canucks to replace the Sanguinetti/Fedun types of the past 2 seasons. He is being paid $225K. He is undersized, but was supposed to supply offense. That sounds like Subban. Did they need 2? Well they still only have one, Jordan. Billins has 7 pts (1G/6A) in 27 GP. He is bounced around like a pinball. If he can't get to the puck first and pitch it up ice immediately, which he does well when he wins, then he is overpowered and the offensive pressure ensues, which happens the rest of the time. I'd pass on this guy. Undersized journeymen AHLers are not wise decisions unless they have the guaranteed rep to warrant the signing.

Colby Robak was signed to start the season as a PTO with the AHL Stockton Heat and then opted out of his PTO to sign an AHL SPC with the Comets. He is currently the best all around D-man on the Comets bar none. He has 10 pts in 22 games, anchors the first D-pair currently with Nilsson (another guy the Comets would be ill advised to lose), moves the puck as well as anyone and is the only guy on the team who can take the puck and just go (that includes Subban), kills penalties, and is the QB on the 2nd PP unit and #1 when Subban isn't out there.

Robak needs to be retained at the least on an AHL contract which doesn't effect Vancouver's 50 and Nilsson is an RFA and needs to be re-signed. That's 2.
Subban still has a season on his ELC and he won't make the Canucks. That's 3.
McEneny has spent 2 seasons in the ECHL and is now playing a pretty solid game. He will be an RFA I'd re-sign him. 4

Pedan is also an RFA and he's up to Vancouver as far as I'm concerned. If he is re-signed he's 5.

Sautner was injured on 11/1 and removed from the ice on a stretcher. He returned on 12/7 and has lost any progress he had made up to the time of the injury. He's still on an ELC. He should be sent to Alaska.

Say what you will but not having seen him you don't realize what a solid D-man Negrin has become. He's on an AHL contract and also doesn't effect the Vancouver 50. He'd be 6.

The Comets usually carry 9. I think they need a second high quality veteran AHL D-man in the category of Sanguinetti. 7

So there is room for Brisebois, already signed to an ELC, Olson and Neill to fight it out for the last 2 spots and then the other goes to Alaska unless he is able to push out one of the other 7.

Personally, I'd rather they take a flyer on another NCAA guy like Stecher at the end of this NCAA season and burn one of those remaining contracts on him. He would be way ahead of Briesbois, Neill, or Olson in development.

Unless Benning and company have plans to secure a much improved Comets' roster to better serve both the Canucks and the Comets (which should be a summer 2017 priority since the depth in this franchise is practically non existent at the moment), I wouldn't be dumping off what little the last place Comets (last in both the North Division and the entire 30 team AHL) currently have in order to take a flyer on overaged Jrs. with lots of flaws that aren't even signed yet.

Last edited:

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
McEneny has spent 2 seasons in the ECHL and is now playing a pretty solid game. He will be an RFA I'd re-sign him. 4

Appreciate your well thought out post and think that's largely the way to go next year, with Brisebois (already signed), Neill, and Olson battling it out for 2 positions in Utica. Brisebois likely has the inside track with his pedigree so I reckon it would be between Neill, Olson, and maybe an NCAA signing battling it out in reality for another rookie spot.

I know McEneny has been fine but I simply cannot see the Canucks re-signing a 23 year old who so far has produced 1 point in the AHL all time. Simply not worth a contract slot - better given to Robak so he doesn't bolt elsewhere. I'd guess McEneny would be a Utica signing if they were really interested in keeping him. I'd also hope the Canucks would let Pedan go.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
^ @ Bad Goalie

My mistake, I was thinking of Robak, not Billins. I guess they can replace the Billins contract with Robak's.

With all that, we'll be down like 5 D-man contracts and will still have 7 NHL D-men. Just need a sign a few (Robak, Neill and Olson?) to fill the AHL holes, plus hopefully another good AHL free-agent D-man to give Utica some more help.

1. Tanev
2. Edler
3. Stecher
4. Hutton
5. Gudbranson
6. Tryamkin
7. Biega

8. Subban
9. Brisebois
10. Sautner
11. Robak
12. Olson
13. Neill

14. Juolevi
15. Cederholm

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
^ @ Bad Goalie

My mistake, I was thinking of Robak, not Billins. I guess they can replace the Billins contract with Robak's.

With all that, we'll be down like 5 D-man contracts and will still have 7 NHL D-men. Just need a sign a few (Robak, Neill and Olson?) to fill the AHL holes, plus hopefully another good AHL free-agent D-man to give Utica some more help.

1. Tanev
2. Edler
3. Stecher
4. Hutton
5. Gudbranson
6. Tryamkin
7. Biega

8. Subban
9. Brisebois
10. Sautner
11. Robak
12. Olson
13. Neill

14. Juolevi
15. Cederholm

You are not going to get 3 rookies in the top 6.
Sautner is a #9 as the Comets usually carry 9. That's how bad he is.
8. Robak
9. AHL vet a la Sanguinetti/TJ Brennan
10. Nilsson
11. Subban
12. McEneny
13. Brisebois
14. Neill
15. Olson
16. Sautner

A couple of these would be AHL contracts. I'd ship Sautner to Alaska right off the get go until he proves he's too good for the ECHL.

The Brisebois, Olson, Neill can't be considered locks. They are by no means AHL ready just by age. They could be Alaska material as well after an AHL look see.

I'd get another unsigned newly developed star college type signed at the end of this NCAA season. Hutton and Stecher have shown that good college players are more than worth the risk of taking on unsigned Jrs.

A couple UFAs are out there every season as well.

Pedan and/or Biega will be floating around somewhere in the mix as well.

Way too early to commit to probably half of these guys. September is a long ways away.

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

They may indeed sign both. But I don't think the presence or lack thereof of Sbisa and Larsen will have anything to do with whether the Canucks choose to sign Olsen or Neill. The Canucks will carry 7-8 Dmen and Stecher will almost certainly take up one of those spots.

I think Billins has been good but he doesn't need a contract from the Canucks if he's not going to serve as a good callup option.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Very excited about this prospect. Just keeps PILING up the points and dominating . Very encouraging cant wait to see how he will train in the offseason to continue to expand and improve his game. Sky is the limit :)

Don't see the kid play at all....how is he "piling up the points" as you say....basically showed zero offense at the Prospects Tournaments.....is he wracking most of them up on the pp?...does his offense translate to the next level?

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com

#12 paired up with #15 Joseph
it's nice to see finally having prospects playing on a same team together although they arent being paired yet

offensively, he's one of the (if not, only) most active offensive minded defencemen in our arsenal. he's "the guy" that likes to join the rush, deep in the o-zone, shoot + pass you name it. dont mind him to b the next Subban project at the next level.

defensively though, heh just watching Brisebois and him playing D is night and day.
quite erratic compare to calm poise of Brisebois. usually hit or miss when making the decisions. ideas are there but can't really finish it off cleanly. consistency is an issue in this department. he has some good days and really bad days

NoRaise4Brackett

But Brackett!!!
Mar 16, 2011
Lurking the Boards
I don't see it with this guy. Don't like his skating, it doesn't look like his legs generate much power and he kinda looks like Bambi when he isn't moving. He may be putting up points, but I think he'll struggle to translate that to the pros. At this point, I don't see him in Utica next year. I'd love to be wrong though...

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
I don't see it with this guy. Don't like his skating, it doesn't look like his legs generate much power and he kinda looks like Bambi when he isn't moving. He may be putting up points, but I think he'll struggle to translate that to the pros. At this point, I don't see him in Utica next year. I'd love to be wrong though...

June 1st 2017 is the deadline to sign him.

He's from my home town, I'm curious if the Canucks will sign him. My guess is no after reading here.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
June 1st 2017 is the deadline to sign him.

He's from my home town, I'm curious if the Canucks will sign him. My guess is no after reading here.

I think Neill has done enough in junior to earn a contract with somebody if the Canucks let him walk....seems to me the Canucks went to the 11th hour before they finally signed Subban a few years back....so might happen.

Surely he's a better option than a guy like Saunter?.....offense from the blueline is something you can't necessarily teach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad