Prospect Info: Carl Neill, 2015 5th Round Pick (144th Overall)

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Actually our "best ever drafted dman" has Norris finishes of 5th and 8th and has played more NHL games than any other Dman we have ever drafted but most people forget about him.

Adrian Aucoin of BU.

Fabbro anyone?

Don't forget about this guy.

PcDM2UT.jpg

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Actually our "best ever drafted dman" has Norris finishes of 5th and 8th and has played more NHL games than any other Dman we have ever drafted but most people forget about him.

Adrian Aucoin of BU.

Fabbro anyone?

Actually, if you read my post, a big part of the post was about first-year impact. Aucoin didn't really come into his own until much later in his career.

I would say that Ohlund is the best ever drafted dman by the Canucks. Ohlund's career was cut short by injuries, otherwise he would have played more games than Aucoin and had similar offensive production. He was widely considered the better defensemen throughout most of their careers. Offensive production and Norris trophy nomination doesn't tell the whole story. Look at the contract Aucoin signed for after two solid offensive years in Calgary. It wasn't close to Ohlund money.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
An interesting prospect. He dosent have the vlbest overall hockey I.Q from my viewings, but does have impressive physical, and offensive tools.

I see Carl as a project in the mold of Kevin Bieksa. Finish junior, spend a couple years in the AHL, and then get the shot at the NHL level.

Will always be pron to brain cramps, but potential to be a top 6 D for us.

Yeah. He's an interesting project. I'm really curious to see how his transition to the AHL goes. He's got plenty to work on there, continued improvement to his skating and decisionmaking at the top of the list. I think he's a guy who will be hanging around marinating in the AHL for a number of years. But there's at least some room for cautiously measured optimism.

But i think you have to be cautious of overestimating his impressive point totals and interpreting that as a bigtime all-around stud puck-moving defenceman.

Similar to what i cautioned about his teammate Jeremy Roy in the draft last year...that Sherbrooke powerplay is kind of...wonky and overpowered.

Neill has something like 28 of his 39pts this season on the man advantage. Which is obviously a very hefty percentage. And that seems to be where his toolset allows him to best contribute offensively; where i think the skating/acceleration isn't as critical. Not that PP production is inherently bad, but i think you have to keep that in the back of your mind with Neill and adjust expectations accordingly.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Should we be excited about this guy?

I'm not.

I didn't see NHL skating ability or hockey sense in what I've seen of him.

His numbers look good but they're a function of being the secondary point man on a destructive PP. His ES numbers are not overly impressive.

Olson is looking like a good pick to me right now. Neill I think is a mirage.

Last edited:

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
he's a 5th round pick. why are we wasting valuable bandwidth talking about him? just trade him away to take a cap dump already.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
he's a 5th round pick. why are we wasting valuable bandwidth talking about him? just trade him away to take a cap dump already.

Ben Hutton is a 5th rounder so is Forsling why give up on Neill for no reason just cause is a 5th rounder? :shakehead

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I don't know what it is about the Canucks and d-men drafted in the fifth round...in addition to Hutton, wasn't Bieksa drafted in the fifth round and Corrado as well?...and Brent Sopel went in the sixth round...guess there's always reason to hope for guys like Neill and Olson...for whatever reason, once and awhile these d-men picked late actually seem to work out.:amazed:

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I'm not.

I didn't see NHL skating ability or hockey sense in what I've seen of him.

His numbers look good but they're a function of being the secondary point man on a destructive PP. His ES numbers are not overly impressive.

Olson is looking like a good pick to me right now. Neill I think is a mirage.

Does MS's opinion hold still, or does it need updating?

Current stats: 36 goals, 7 assists, 43 points in 53 games. That puts him fourth in the Q for scoring by defencemen. On his own team, Sherbrooke, he's third in scoring, top defenceman (9 points ahead of Jeremy Roy, though Roy has played 9 fewer games).

2 of his goals have come on the power play.

6'3", 210, shoots right.

I haven't seen him play, so I've no reason to doubt MS's evaluation, but I want to be dazzled by the numbers.

He scored the lone goal Sherbrooke's 5-1 loss this afternoon.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015

Current stats: 36 goals, 7 assists, 43 points in 53 games. That puts him fourth in the Q for scoring by defencemen. On his own team, Sherbrooke, he's third in scoring, top defenceman (9 points ahead of Jeremy Roy, though Roy has played 9 fewer games).

6'3", 210, shoots right.

I haven't seen him play, so I've no reason to doubt MS's evaluation, but I want to be dazzled by the numbers.

HOLY CRAP:laugh:

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver

6'3", 210, shoots right.

36 goals and only 2 of them were from PP.....
Tell him to play forward already.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
36 goals and only 2 of them were from PP.....
Tell him to play forward already.

I should make such mistakes more often; I'd get more responses to my otherwise dull posts.

What do you think of Neill?

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I've seen him play a few times this year, I'll have to agree that he doesn't look as good as his stats would indicate. Realistically, he's got bottom paring NHL upside. Defensive game needs work and he's solid offensively, but not a guy who runs a junior's teams offense/PP from what I've seen.

Last edited:

StIllmatic

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
Well Jeremy Roy has seen his PPG drop from around 1.0 to roughly the same as Neil on the same team. Anyway to check how many of his points are from the PP? Not overly excited anyways, but at least he's producing.

Tate Olsen, however, is intriguing.

Chubros

Dec 9, 2011
Don't forget about this guy.

PcDM2UT.jpg

No one could ever forget that guy.

We should hunt him down, entice him out of retirement, and sign him to an NHL contract ASAP.

Even if all he did was chew idiotically on his mouthguard, he'd still be contributing more than half the defencemen on the team.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I've seen him play a few times this year, I'll have to agree that he doesn't look asinine dive as his stats would indicate. Realistically, he's got bottom paring NHL upside. Defensive game needs work and he's solid offensively, but not a guy who runs a junior's teams offense/PP from what I've seen.

I want more prospects who look asinine dive.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
I don't know what it is about the Canucks and d-men drafted in the fifth round...in addition to Hutton, wasn't Bieksa drafted in the fifth round and Corrado as well?...and Brent Sopel went in the sixth round...guess there's always reason to hope for guys like Neill and Olson...for whatever reason, once and awhile these d-men picked late actually seem to work out.:amazed:

I think D-men are just harder to project at a younger age. Sometimes players come into their own when they are a little bit older, so you really start seeing progress in the Draft +1 or +2 years where you wouldn't have expected it before.

Like you say, Hutton, Corrado (almost. I think Torts busted him and Jensen), Tanev wasn't even drafted. Edler was a 3rd, Bieksa was I forget but 4th rings a bell. Sopel, like you say.

Maybe I'm way off and this is some anomaly, but it seems to me you get more gem defensemen than you do forwards, just because they are harder to project.

We'll see. No reason to leave your seats, obviously, but it's encouraging to see late round picks have an impact.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Neill had an assist on Sherbrooke's lone goal in a 5-1 loss today.

It'll be an interesting case if Neill finishes the season in top four scoring in the Q for defencemen (while playing for a rather low scoring team — 13th out of 18 teams), leads his team in scoring from the back end by a significant margin, yet proves not to have solid offensive skills that make him a decent prospect. It's a warning to the fans (myself included) who get enticed by the numbers.

(Brisebois's Acadie-Bathurs has scored 14 more goals and is one spot up on Sherbrooke in the standings.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad