Prospect Info: Carl Neill, 2015 5th Round Pick (144th Overall)

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
I just noticed today that Carl Neill is in the Q and not in the AHL.

Is there a reason he is not playing for Utica?

Waveburner

Sep 22, 2002
I just noticed today that Carl Neill is in the Q and not in the AHL.

Is there a reason he is not playing for Utica?

He's not ready. Weak skater and extremely raw defensively. Probably not a prospect worth investing time. Solid Q player, not much pro future IMO

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
He's not ready. Weak skater and extremely raw defensively. Probably not a prospect worth investing time. Solid Q player, not much pro future IMO

Thats extremely dissapointing to hear. Can't we just take skill in the later rounds? Please....

NoRaise4Brackett

But Brackett!!!
Mar 16, 2011
Lurking the Boards
Thats extremely dissapointing to hear. Can't we just take skill in the later rounds? Please....

Isn't that what they did when they drafted a dman that can put up points? - hoping he rounds out the rest of his game?

I've heard a lot of people say defence can be learned/taught, and a lot of people point to Horvat and say skating can be improved, so...

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

We did. We took a player who has shown good offensive skill, but needs to round out rest of their game. It's the exact kind of player we should be taking. Much better this than Mackenzie Stewarts and Sawyer Hannays.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
He's a D that puts up a much of points. He's the perfect example of drafting skills in the late round.

My bad, I must have been thinking of another one of our D prospects. I never associated him as a "skill" player. Much like a Garrison or Bouwmeester type, who can put up points but you wouldn't call them skilled offensive players. Wish he had their defensive games at least haha.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
28 points in 22 games from a defenseman is nothing to scoff at regardless of his age. He has size to spare, too.

With his size and some more coaching in the AHL, this guy might be able to play. At the very least he should push fringe guys like Subban/Sautner.

FlowMaster

Jan 28, 2009
BC
We need to stockpile 5th round picks. Heck, let's swap all of our picks and pick the entire 5th round this year.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
We need to stockpile 5th round picks. Heck, let's swap all of our picks and pick the entire 5th round this year.
Only if they are defensemen

edit: Wait, forgot about Gaudette! But I went back a little bit, Gaudette is the only forward the Canucks have taken in the 5th round since Prabh Rai in 2008. Even when the Canucks took Gaudette, they took Neill in the 5th round too.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

And while we're at it maybe we can find a way to get back that fifth rounder we flushed away for 20 games of Brandon Prust last season.:shakehead

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Neill wasn't all that impressive in two prospects tournaments and still doesn't have a contract.....unlikely he gets signed, although a PTO in Utica might work.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Neill wasn't all that impressive in two prospects tournaments and still doesn't have a contract.....unlikely he gets signed, although a PTO in Utica might work.

No need to sugar coat it... he was VERY bad at the prospects camp this summer.
BUT.. he just turned 20.. and he's ripping it up for his team currently Offensively at least.

At 6'3, he's a project worth seeing through and hope with experience comes some 2-way reliability.

You have Neill and another dman (who I assume is his D partner) leading the squad in points with 31-32 pts... the next dman on the team has 7 points.

- Currently is 3rd in the Q in dmen scoring. Leader has 33, his partner has 32, he has 31.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
No need to sugar coat it... he was VERY bad at the prospects camp this summer.
BUT.. he just turned 20.. and he's ripping it up for his team currently Offensively at least.

At 6'3, he's a project worth seeing through and hope with experience comes some 2-way reliability.

You have Neill and another dman (who I assume is his D partner) leading the squad in points with 31-32 pts... the next dman on the team has 7 points.

- Currently is 3rd in the Q in dmen scoring. Leader has 33, his partner has 32, he has 31.

Yep...have to concede...he was pretty brutal in the prospects tourney....and the Canucks have two other guys coming out of junior, Olson and Brisebois, who will need contracts....can't sign all of 'em.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Yep...have to concede...he was pretty brutal in the prospects tourney....and the Canucks have two other guys coming out of junior, Olson and Brisebois, who will need contracts....can't sign all of 'em.

Does anyone see the Canucks re-signing Pedan, Billins, McEneny, or Nilsson at the end of the year?

I sorta want to see how Olson/Brisebois/Neill pan out. I think the Canucks only have 47 players under contract right now.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Does anyone see the Canucks re-signing Pedan, Billins, McEneny, or Nilsson at the end of the year?

I sorta want to see how Olson/Brisebois/Neill pan out. I think the Canucks only have 47 players under contract right now.

Nilsson, Billins, and Pedan fill totally different organizational roles than those other three would be taking.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Utica contracts could work for some of those guys rather than NHL deals.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Utica contracts could work for some of those guys rather than NHL deals.

Don't they relinquish their rights if only Utica signs them, though? If they start to have a good season in the minors, they can sign an entry-level NHL deal with anyone. The Canucks would need to sign them to retain their rights.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
There needs to be more discussion of him, 6'1, 200lbs, RH Defenceman.

Currently:

#1 in Points (for defenceman)
#1 in Goals (for defenceman)
#1 in Shots (for defenceman)
#1 in Dangerous Shots (for defenceman)
#3 in Assists (for defenceman
#3 in Points Per Game (for defenceman)

He's putting up an excellent season and is doing what you would want out of a draft pick which is dominating his league.

There is some real upside here and he has proven he can take the next step to the AHL at the very least.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
There needs to be more discussion of him, 6'1, 200lbs, RH Defenceman.

Currently:

#1 in Points (for defenceman)
#1 in Goals (for defenceman)
#1 in Shots (for defenceman)
#1 in Dangerous Shots (for defenceman)
#3 in Assists (for defenceman
#3 in Points Per Game (for defenceman)

He's putting up an excellent season and is doing what you would want out of a draft pick which is dominating his league.

There is some real upside here and he has proven he can take the next step to the AHL at the very least.

Uh, no he hasn't. But those are encouraging numbers. Let's hope he can keep on developing in Utica next season.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Uh, no he hasn't. But those are encouraging numbers. Let's hope he can keep on developing in Utica next season.

Typically when a junior player dominates his league and position, then he is ready for the next step.

What is the next logical step of progression? The AHL, is it really hard to grasp that he is ready to at least start playing in the AHL :shakehead

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Neill has almost 2/3 of his points on a stacked PP.

He's not a good skater and isn't great defensively. Very borderline whether he's worth signing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad