Prospect Info: Carl Neill, 2015 5th Round Pick (144th Overall)

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Nice to see Neill get picked. He's the son of family friends, and is a really nice, personable young man. My brother-in-law (who coaches at a lower level) told me about the heart murmur that was detected pretty much in the first hour of him going out for a player combine (don't think it was THE combine), and they shut him down right away.

I am really hoping he puts it all together and that you all have a reason to be pleased with the pick.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
j3cdp.jpg

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Nice to see Neill get picked. He's the son of family friends, and is a really nice, personable young man. My brother-in-law (who coaches at a lower level) told me about the heart murmur that was detected pretty much in the first hour of him going out for a player combine (don't think it was THE combine), and they shut him down right away.

I am really hoping he puts it all together and that you all have a reason to be pleased with the pick.

Thanks for sharing. Hoping he impresses the Canuck faithful as well! :)

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Other than the late Luc Bourdon who never had the chance to develop, have we ever drafted an impact d-man from the Q?...Ever?...call it curse of Yann Sauve, J.J. Daigneault and Jocelyn Guevremont...and speaking of curses, our record with high school hockey players from Minnesota isn't a helluva lot better...think Jordan Schroeder, Patrick White and Jason Herter....so it's not too early to start praying for this year's draft with Boeser, Brisebois and Neill:badidea:

Boeser is USHL and not HS.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
I've just watched a game of his against Baie Comeau... I'm hoping this is an off-game, because i do not like what i see. Roy was kicked out of the game early, so Neill got all of the prime ice time. He is behind the play mentally, always seems to be chasing the game. Responsible for a GA, responsible for 3 very dangerous scoring chances against, got laid out by 5'7" St Cyr. Very aggressive on the PP, spends more time below the hash marks than above, pinches too aggressively, which led to a couple turnovers at the off blueline with only one defender available, but had some good chances taking the puck to the net, but also fanned on 3 shots at standstill. He was not used much on the PK. Made some good breakout passes.

He has this hunched over stance, so he looks smaller than his 6'3" listing. His skating i imagine has improved a little from the description by HP. Its still not very good, but its not horrible. He gets by at this level, but I would say, there definitely needs to be some major improvement for him to reach the NHL. Does not seem to generate much power from his strides, needs a bit of a running man in order to get up to full speed. Rarely gets to or uses full speed. Below average edge work.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I've just watched a game of his against Baie Comeau... I'm hoping this is an off-game, because i do not like what i see. Roy was kicked out of the game early, so Neill got all of the prime ice time. He is behind the play mentally, always seems to be chasing the game. Responsible for a GA, responsible for 3 very dangerous scoring chances against, got laid out by 5'7" St Cyr. Very aggressive on the PP, spends more time below the hash marks than above, pinches too aggressively, which led to a couple turnovers at the off blueline with only one defender available, but had some good chances taking the puck to the net, but also fanned on 3 shots at standstill. He was not used much on the PK. Made some good breakout passes.

He has this hunched over stance, so he looks smaller than his 6'3" listing. His skating i imagine has improved a little from the description by HP. Its still not very good, but its not horrible. He gets by at this level, but I would say, there definitely needs to be some major improvement for him to reach the NHL. Does not seem to generate much power from his strides, needs a bit of a running man in order to get up to full speed. Rarely gets to or uses full speed. Below average edge work.

It'd be great if some poster materialized who was in a position to update us on Neill's progress. Feebster's evaluation above sure doesn't make him sound promising, but there Neill is, second in points for defencemen in the Q.

Four of his five goals have come on the power play. Perhaps that's where all his assists have been generated as well, and his -9 is a reflection of his play, and the Canucks have absolutely nothing here. We'll find out eventually, but in the meantime ...

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I've been watching Sherbrooke for Jeremy Roy a few times in the past couple of weeks, and Neill has always stood out to me. He has great offensive instincts. Not so great defensively (although far from a liability) but he has great hands and creativity. Personally I see NHL talent, although I can't say how much. Thought I'd drop by the Canucks board and say this and what do you know, this thread was on your front page.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I've been watching Sherbrooke for Jeremy Roy a few times in the past couple of weeks, and Neill has always stood out to me. He has great offensive instincts. Not so great defensively (although far from a liability) but he has great hands and creativity. Personally I see NHL talent, although I can't say how much. Thought I'd drop by the Canucks board and say this and what do you know, this thread was on your front page.

Thanks. You've got great timing.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014

Offensive dman with sub par defensive skills o no this sounds like a younger yannick weber!! lol

I really hope not tho tbh :)

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Offensive dman with sub par defensive skills o no this sounds like a younger yannick weber!! lol

He sounds a lot more like the early predictions of a Bieksa like player. Kinda choppy skater for a defender, almost an awkward style. Good offensive instincts, like to jump in, is a bit lost in the defensive zone once in awhile but can be solid. To me sounds like a young Bieksa, just needs a good coach to shape his tool box.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

A lot of Weber's defensive troubles stems from his lack of size and strength. Neill won't have this problem.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Any one see him play in the last month or so.. 6"3 and 190 is a good start

maybe 6"3 210 at 24 yrs old.....

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
I'm not sure what he's currently weighing in at, but from an article I read one of his issues was that he wasn't as committed to the game as he should have been, and one of the ways it showed up was that he wasn't in very good condition (I believe it was insinuated he was overweight).
I think the article went on to state he really committed to the game and changed his off ice habits, and is in much better physical condition.

Sounds like him and Olson have a chance at developing.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Other than the late Luc Bourdon who never had the chance to develop, have we ever drafted an impact d-man from the Q?...Ever?...call it curse of Yann Sauve, J.J. Daigneault and Jocelyn Guevremont...and speaking of curses, our record with high school hockey players from Minnesota isn't a helluva lot better...think Jordan Schroeder, Patrick White and Jason Herter....so it's not too early to start praying for this year's draft with Boeser, Brisebois and Neill:badidea:

Michel Petit....:sarcasm:

Tiger Williams evaluation: Guy has all the tools but no toolbox....

Seriously though, at least the guy did manage to have a fairly long NHL career.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Have we ever drafted an impact Dman would be the more appropriate question. It's too early to tell with Hutton, but if you consider first year impact and career, you got to go back to Edler and then to Ohlund (or Allen if you want to make a case for him). The odds pretty much are stacked against the Caucus drafting an impact Dman but if there are odds the Canucks should be drafting Swedish Dman.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Have we ever drafted an impact Dman would be the more appropriate question. It's too early to tell with Hutton, but if you consider first year impact and career, you got to go back to Edler and then to Ohlund (or Allen if you want to make a case for him). The odds pretty much are stacked against the Caucus drafting an impact Dman but if there are odds the Canucks should be drafting Swedish Dman.

Thats why we have Forsling...:)

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver

Actually our "best ever drafted dman" has Norris finishes of 5th and 8th and has played more NHL games than any other Dman we have ever drafted but most people forget about him.

Adrian Aucoin of BU.

Fabbro anyone?

canwincup

Aug 28, 2008
Van city

Thanks for sharing! Exciting news for a 5th rounder.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Should we be excited about this guy?

An interesting prospect. He dosent have the vlbest overall hockey I.Q from my viewings, but does have impressive physical, and offensive tools.

I see Carl as a project in the mold of Kevin Bieksa. Finish junior, spend a couple years in the AHL, and then get the shot at the NHL level.

Will always be pron to brain cramps, but potential to be a top 6 D for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad