Player Discussion Carey Price - You're Richer Than You Think Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Pay Seattle to take him at the ED. That is during 2021 summer so still two drafts to rebuild and still 1,5 years of letting Primeau developp.

Sign a 1B goalie to a 4M$ contract to split games with Primeau for 2 years and ride him as our starting goalie after that.
Pretty sure the NMC forces us to protect him

Vijo Morganstein

Nov 29, 2019
Since Huet and Halak have been chased out of town, there hasn't been any good back-up goalie with Price. 10 years without a decend back-up G.
So if ever Habs make the playoffs, Price start playoffs with physical and mental fatigue.
Budaj and Montoya were both competent backups. Niemi was a great backup for one season.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
I looked it up a couple of weeks ago and the Habs had started their backup goaltender less then any other team in the league..

To update, looking around the league as of now for this season...decisions (w-l- ot -so) from their backup goaltender...

20 or more decisions: 5 teams
18: 3 teams
16: 4 teams
15: 4 teams
14: 2 teams
13: 2 teams
12: 2 teams
11: 1 team
10: 4 teams
9: 1 team
8: 2 teams
7: 1 team

The Habs are the team with 7 decisions from their backup.

Loner

Dec 29, 2008
Montreal
Everything changes since the hiring of Julien. Therrien system was build around Carey Price, strong defensive system that push most shots on the outside, it was boring and conservative but it did work to keep the scoring low. Now with Julien, the system is a lot more offensive, fast and the players take a lot more risks. The team are scoring more and the team is entertaining to watch. The defenses contribute to the offense but it creates tons of turnover which give a lot of high danger scoring chances to the opposite team. Price always played the percentage with very good positioning, he was never a reflexes goalie and has always had trouble against elite shooters and high danger scoring chances.

I could be wrong but look at his stats between to two coaches it's night and day.

Quoting myself for discussion.

CapSpace

Caufield is lit
Nov 25, 2013
Near Montreal
In an other life, I been burned down to ashes here for defending Halak over Price. I stood by the idea of trading Price. Not saying I was right, or wrong. But were would that team be?

Reactions: Genesis76

hotcarle

Jul 10, 2009
vd, qc, ca
Make it clear to him that he's not welcome anymore anf that it would be better for everyone if he lifted his NMC to get drafted by Seattle.
I think it would be the time that Price would most likely leave.

I don’t think we pay to give him away like some teams did during the Vegas draft, but I think a deal could get done.

Carey’s wife is from around Seattle area, and Carey is from B.C. I think they’d both like to return there.

Reactions: Genesis76

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
You know Price is in a hell of trouble when you dont have lafleur guy and nhlfan9191 rushing to his defense. Normally they never take a day off white knighting Price
Normally it's the same folks ripping him and it's usually for crappy reasons.

Just got back from Vancouver. I haven't seen the goals yet, I'll assume he's been bad for the past couple of games. Quick question - be honest - how was the D in front of him? Is it just Price or a combo of both?

And it's funny, when I saw the scores, I knew this place would be on fire. I also knew this thread would be bumped. From what I've read though, it sounds like Price let in some crappy stuff regardless of the D. And that, he shouldn't be excused from.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Normally it's the same folks ripping him and it's usually for crappy reasons.

Just got back from Vancouver. I haven't seen the goals yet, I'll assume he's been bad for the past couple of games. Quick question - be honest - how was the D in front of him? Is it just Price or a combo of both?

And it's funny, when I saw the scores, I knew this place would be on fire. I also knew this thread would be bumped. From what I've read though, it sounds like Price let in some crappy stuff regardless of the D. And that, he shouldn't be excused from.
I thought our D was always bad and Price carried us to the playoffs by himself. What is it? You overstated his performances in the past or understated those teams or Is Price declining?

I don’t understand why management insists on riding him so much when he can’t even outperform his backup. It’s ridiculous that 10.5 million can’t buy you anything.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I thought our D was always bad and Price carried us to the playoffs by himself. What is it? You overstated his performances in the past or understated those teams or Is Price declining?
Pretty sure you asked me this three pages ago and I answered it.
I don’t understand why management insists on riding him so much when he can’t even outperform his backup. It’s ridiculous that 10.5 million can’t buy you anything.
Because he's been consistently better than his replacement by a large margin. Price's numbers are bad because he's had stretches where he's been absolutely lit up. Again, goaltending stats are different than scoring ones. One bad game can cancel out many good ones.

And as I said three years ago, without help on the back end, his numbers are going to decline. You can't have crap in front of you and put up Vezina numbers. When the team tightens up, his numbers improve. When it's a gongshow, they drop. That's how it's going to be for any goalie. It's why Patrick Roy left when he did.

Reactions: BLONG7

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
No one ever mentions that a goalie that stops pucks gives confidence to his D and makes them better. I'm happy some here found causation : D sucks therefore, price can suck.

Price <---------> Defence

its a two way street folks.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
In an other life, I been burned down to ashes here for defending Halak over Price. I stood by the idea of trading Price. Not saying I was right, or wrong. But were would that team be?
I get the we should've traded Price crowd. For me the main burden is the contract, because finding a #1 goalie is a pain in the ass. So for me trading Price and re-building is my choice, but what happens when you have a solid core of youngsters with no goalie? Edmonton, Buffalo, Leafs...It's not that easy of a decision.

So I understand people who are less kin to a Price-less franchise. Thankfully, Primeau seems to be the heir in the system.

Reactions: CapSpace

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Make it clear to him that he's not welcome anymore anf that it would be better for everyone if he lifted his NMC to get drafted by Seattle.

That’s not what happened at all. They sold the idea of Fleury having the chance to still be a clear cut starter in the league and that he was well respected for being a big part of their franchise for years. If anyone in the Penguins organization made Fleury feel unwelcomed, the players would’ve made sure they were gone. If you think Price’s teammates are going to sit back and watch them bully a goalie like Price because they burnt the team to the ground, you’re wrong. Our fans may disrespect Price. Most NHLPA votes show not only his teammates respect him, but most of the league does too despite the numbers and the times he’s struggled behind this trash organization the past 3 seasons.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
No one ever mentions that a goalie that stops pucks gives confidence to his D and makes them better. I'm happy some here found causation : D sucks therefore, price can suck.

Price <---------> Defence

its a two way street folks.

Exactly,well said. you should be a goalie coach man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad