Value of: Carey Price to the Leafs (or another contender)

Status
Not open for further replies.

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
No contender has the cap room to take on Price without either major retention, or some very bad contracts going back. Whether or not Price is worth his contact, he is basically unmovable at this point.
Price at the deadline will have around 4.5 million left on his 10.5 million deal or less if Montreal retains 50% for this year that drops it to 2.2 million ....if for example you are trading with the Blues for Thomas,Walman and a 2020 1st.....Jake Allen at 4.3 would be going back say they would easily have the cap space and maybe a player like Gunnarsson also goes back at 2.9 in the last year of his deal.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Deal could be doable:

All Bad Leaf Contracts

For

Price (50% Retention) or $5.25M @ 8 Years
2019 - 1st

Tough deal for the Leafs considering their Cap Situation, but taking on Price at 50% will handicap their ability to resign players for the next 8 years. So the 1st is compensation for taking on this horrendous deal.
How does taking on price at 50 percent retention handicapthe team from re-signing players?

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
While the premise of this thread is extremely flawed... I do have to wonder -- how much money would be required in order to move Carey Price? and is it a situation where the Habs retain just to get rid of him? or a situation where the Habs retain to get some sort of half reasonable return.

Carey Price is 31 years old and a veteran of 11 NHL seasons. Obviously, very few goalies have 20 year NHL careers these days, but 2 years ago, I think most people would've been confidently projecting Price to play 20 years. He was that good, and more importantly, that consistent.

Looking at the situation today, you've got a goalie who has, practically, played 2 of the last 3 years. One he spent injured, and of the 2 he played, 1 wasn't quite vintage/MVP Carey Price, but certainly a high quality #1 goalie -- the other (and most recent) -- barely passable as an NHL starter.

I guess it really comes down to whether you think last season was an abberation, or a sign of things to come. As a leaf fan who has watched Price dominate for most of his career I'm inclined to believe that it was an aberration. We may not see sub-2.1 GAAs and .930+ save percentages over 60+games from Price anymore, but I don't think .900 and 3.1 are a reasonable expectation either.

Realistically, he's a goalie who you'll probably get what the Habs got in 16-17 from -- 2.2-2.4GAA, and a .920 save percentage. Is a team prepared to pay $10.5m for that? no. But I think a team would be more than thrilled if they were paying $7.5m over the next 8 years for it.

That being said, I suspect that teams will need to see first hand that Price is capable of returning to form, before they part with a couple of young, quality assets, while Montreal retains $2-3m of his salary.

Completely agree.

I think his best value will be after they pay his 13M signing bonus next July 1st.

If they were to retain it's more likely they do it in the form of taking a bad contract or two in return OR send another player in the deal who has a few years on his deal who they'd retain on. Retaining for the duration of the Price deal seems very unlikely.

LABound

RFA
Sep 2, 2018
I just bumped an old thread , I believe the Jets could have made the final had they aquired him last summer. No shade at Connor who had a terrific season which was also mentioned was a possibility in the OP .....as it stands I believe Calgary is the only logical destination .

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
The phrase "not interested" cannot be stressed enough here. I'm quite certain the entire fanbase feels this way as well and for obvious reasons.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
I don't see Price getting moved but what about Carolina? Good young team with plenty of cap space and underperforming goalies.

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
I just bumped an old thread , I believe the Jets could have made the final had they aquired him last summer. No shade at Connor who had a terrific season which was also mentioned was a possibility in the OP .....as it stands I believe Calgary is the only logical destination .
Calgary and the Oilers both have goalies in the last year of their contracts....Calgary does have some young goalie prospects they are high on but they want to win right now.....37 year old Mike Smith will not get it done....so yes Calgary is an option and the Blues if Jake Allen gets off to a slow start.

Reactions: Mork

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
I don't see Price getting moved but what about Carolina? Good young team with plenty of cap space and underperforming goalies.
Price has a full NMC cannot see him waiving to play for an eastern team him and his wife and all their families are from the west.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Methinks Price will be a Hab for a while. That contract, sheesh.

Seems like the kind of goalie the Flyers will acquire around 35 or 36. Right around the day his hips go full geriatric and he develops amnesia about ever stopping pucks for a living.

Until then I’d settle in.

strongcomp05

Jun 8, 2018
Price will 100% be moved next few years, some of you are wayyy to dramatic thinking he cant be moved. No point for the leafs to make this move, but some team will. Just like Patches wouldn't get anything in return, we've all heard this before lol

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Price will 100% be moved next few years, some of you are wayyy to dramatic thinking he cant be moved. No point for the leafs to make this move, but some team will. Just like Patches wouldn't get anything in return, we've all heard this before lol
Price is 10.5 times the player Patches is...he also has a 10.5 million dollar contact...

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Price at the deadline will have around 4.5 million left on his 10.5 million deal or less if Montreal retains 50% for this year that drops it to 2.2 million ....if for example you are trading with the Blues for Thomas,Walman and a 2020 1st.....Jake Allen at 4.3 would be going back say they would easily have the cap space and maybe a player like Gunnarsson also goes back at 2.9 in the last year of his deal.

I'm not sure if you are trolling.. but you do realize there is more to Cap considerations than THIS year? He's signed to 2025-26... and yes, the value of players today extends beyond their play, to their cap hits too. Toronto doesn't care what the salary is, just the Cap hit, and $10.5 is a huge hit for a goalie at the current time.

On the previous page @seanlinden made a great post, that was a fairly reasonable explanation of the current Carey Price situation. A player who throughout his career, has been all world. The last three seasons.... injuries, and some subpar play. To be attractive, he's going to need to return to form, it's just a simple reality. Should he show he is durable, and can return to a high level, you might get some suitors, though it's still going to require retention. Right now... no chance.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
...but the full $10.5 cap hit the next year and each after that.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
The kicker here is we really don't have any...Marleau only has 1 year after this one, and Zaitsev is serviceable for his contract.

oh, and no thanks on Price to the Leafs...
Zaitsev and Tavares are bad contracts.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
You should learn about player values from the Patch situation and the many attempts of trolling his value after a disaster season from the Habs. Seriously, Do you think the main concern is Price is no longer one of the top goalies in the league? I get the cap concerns cause he should be making $9M (not $10.5) but are you saying he needs to have 1 or 2 good years on a team that has many missing holes before you start believing in him again?

Sorry, I don't understand this logic. Most NHL GM's on contending teams with an average goalie would love to add Price. Problem is price to acquire and how to fit him in. Look at the team like the Preds for example. Rinne has one more year left and will be age 37 in his new contract (Nov birthday). Saros is in line to replace him but lets say he struggles in a starting role. Habs retain $1.5M bringing down the AAV to $9M which is only $2M more than what they are paying Rinne now. Pretty sure they can absorb an extra $2M in cap space when the annual average increase in cap space is that and more.

Preds would be a good fit IMO. If the deal happened now (Don't think it will cause Price has a NMC and needs to run out of patience with the Habs first) but this is a deal that would work... Rinne + for Price ($1.5M retained).

Here are the issues imo trying to trade Price:

- His age

- Injuries

- Franchise changing cap hit

- Long term on his contract

- Coming off a bad year, can he return to to the level of play that he deserves that cap hit?

- Due to term length I doubt Habs will want to retain on it.

- Price NMC

- Potential return on Price might make it undesirable to trade him from the GM’s POV for multi reasons.

- Is Price significantly better then any contenders current goalie enough to warrant restructuring their entire cap and giving up young pieces for (Habs would need to take some contracts back but likely want young pieces with value as well)?

- Will the goalie Price in theory be replacing have a nmc and willing to waive it to go to a rebuilding Habs team or someone else?

Is there any scenario where Price could be traded? Sure, but there are very few and most of them are unlikely (your Patches example has virtually nothing alike this one other then Habs & coming off bad year). To your point you find a contender who is losing their starter (Preds) and might need a new one if they don’t have a good in house or cheaper solution in mind. If you think the Preds are likely the only target make a trade thread Price to the Preds and get their feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad