Value of: Carey Price to the Leafs (or another contender)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
If Montreal retained 50% I would trade bennett or jankowski + 1st 2019+ valimaki or kylington + stone/smith (cap) for price

strongcomp05

Jun 8, 2018
Here are the issues imo trying to trade Price:

- His age

- Injuries

- Franchise changing cap hit

- Long term on his contract

- Coming off a bad year, can he return to to the level of play that he deserves that cap hit?

- Due to term length I doubt Habs will want to retain on it.

- Price NMC

- Potential return on Price might make it undesirable to trade him from the GM’s POV for multi reasons.

- Is Price significantly better then any contenders current goalie enough to warrant restructuring their entire cap and giving up young pieces for (Habs would need to take some contracts back but likely want young pieces with value as well)?

- Will the goalie Price in theory be replacing have a nmc and willing to waive it to go to a rebuilding Habs team or someone else?

Is there any scenario where Price could be traded? Sure, but there are very few and most of them are unlikely (your Patches example has virtually nothing alike this one other then Habs & coming off bad year). To your point you find a contender who is losing their starter (Preds) and might need a new one if they don’t have a good in house or cheaper solution in mind. If you think the Preds are likely the only target make a trade thread Price to the Preds and get their feedback.
Preds have Saros tho

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I just bumped an old thread , I believe the Jets could have made the final had they aquired him last summer. No shade at Connor who had a terrific season which was also mentioned was a possibility in the OP .....as it stands I believe Calgary is the only logical destination .

Good chance the Jets weren’t a playoff team last year with Price in our net.....forget the finals.

LABound

RFA
Sep 2, 2018
Price has a full NMC cannot see him waiving to play for an eastern team him and his wife and all their families are from the west.

Totally agree before Connor H broke out last season I thought maybe the Jets could be a fit as he enjoys hunting and fishing in the off-season . That's not an option now after ConnorH has solidified his position. ...Calgary as the only Canadian team that has the right window and situation, Edmonton perhaps but they had like 7-8 players with career worst seasons ...I don't see that repeating . Calgary if he can show he is healthy and outright steal some games before Xmas they will make an offer . I'll save this post I was precise on all of Montreal's moves since Sept of last season as well as Price getting shutdown before Xmas , the only moves left are Webber for 2-3 good assets from a contender and Price for 2 good assets with retention and a dump or 2. I predict he will be a Flame by January .

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
They just signed Tavares...the need to sign Matthews/Marner/Nylander....they also need to upgrade the D, you think a 9 million dollar goalie is even on their radar?
Who is talking about the leafs i'm talking about Price if he were to move he would be going to a western team.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Plenty of other teams are in more need of a top-notch goalie, and are willing to assume a big portion of Price's contract, than the Leafs.

LABound

RFA
Sep 2, 2018
I picked the Jets to be in the final last summer pre season , but aside from that... here are some things for you to consider if Price played behind that Jets team from game 1 of the season what do you think would have happened? Honestly unbiased a confident Carey Price in the best position to succeed in his career other than team Canada ? no disrespect but honestly , and then put Connor in the situation in Montreal from game 1 of the season there is a good chance he would be out of the league right now? And I'm a Connor fan but do you think a young guy with no experience in that market or the league for that matter on a historically bad team would have been up to task ? There is no argument to have that is not a fact but any reasonable hockey knowledge or basic logic should make it pretty clear.....fair

Danny1237

Jun 12, 2016
Trading Price is virtually impossible, and I would upgrade that to completely impossible to the Leafs.

I think the problem is that based on Price's age, even at $5.25M, a lot of teams would be skeptical of committing that money to him for the next 8 years after he came off a year where he was considered one of the worst starters in the league.

The amount of money teams are willing to commit to goaltending is actually coming down, even with the cap going up, and the percentage of the cap teams are willing to spend is going down pretty quickly. Helleybuck and Gibson are considered two of the best young goalies in the NHL, and neither got north of $7M, which says a lot considering there are currently 5 goalies making that or more, and there are 12 goalies currently on contracts that were a bigger CH% when they were signed than either of the deals Helleybuck or Gibson just signed.

I think Montreal may be better off letting Price play, hope that his numbers rebound, and then maybe consider getting him to waive his NMC and hope to steer Seattle toward taking Price in the expansion draft banking on Price and Seattle both thinking about being the next Vegas. That would actually be best for all concerned.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I picked the Jets to be in the final last summer pre season , but aside from that... here are some things for you to consider if Price played behind that Jets team from game 1 of the season what do you think would have happened? Honestly unbiased a confident Carey Price in the best position to succeed in his career other than team Canada ? no disrespect but honestly , and then put Connor in the situation in Montreal from game 1 of the season there is a good chance he would be out of the league right now? And I'm a Connor fan but do you think a young guy with no experience in that market or the league for that matter on a historically bad team would have been up to task ? There is no argument to have that is not a fact but any reasonable hockey knowledge or basic logic should make it pretty clear.....fair

No one is debating Price playing with the Habs hurt his results last year.....Habs are a bad team. But Price doesn’t get a free pass for posting a .900sv%......he was equally bad as the team in front of him. If he played on the Jets last year we would of dragged up his sv%.......but it still wouldn’t of been good considering his injuries hurt his play and without doubt he would of brought down the Jets point totals.

Could Price return to elite form? Maybe

Is it a massive risk for any team trading away pieces to get him and make cap room before Price has proven he’s returned to form? Absolutely

Could Price get traded? Maybe

Would the Jets trade for Price? Not in a million years imo.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Price is too expensive to be Andersen's back-up, and too injury prone to be his replacement.

Hard pass, even with major retention.

LABound

RFA
Sep 2, 2018
No one is debating Price playing with the Habs hurt his results last year.....Habs are a bad team. But Price doesn’t get a free pass for posting a .900sv%......he was equally bad as the team in front of him. If he played on the Jets last year we would of dragged up his sv%.......but it still wouldn’t of been good considering his injuries hurt his play and without doubt he would of brought down the Jets point totals.

Is it a massive risk for any team trading away pieces to get him and make cap room before Price has proven he’s returned to form? Absolutely

Dragged up his save % really? As for his injuries they were probually not as bad as reported same for Webber professional courtesy most likely to keep them away from that tire fire ....and preserve value . There is no goaltender from this galaxy ..past or present that would have changed that , I'll reitterate Connor on that team from game 1 through to the end of the season probually/highly likely would be OUT of the league with no past performance to save him ........think about that and give me a reply or don't ....either way it's pretty clear ..... That's no shade on Connor but if there were 2 of him in net for Montreal last year the result would be the same or worse as he would have never felt that pressure in his career while Price had and still struggled being one of the coolest competitors in the game ......Connor would be at home right now looking for a job .....consider the whole picture and not the save %.

Sorry for the double post I'm overseas and my post keep getting blocked or logging me out

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Trading Price is virtually impossible, and I would upgrade that to completely impossible to the Leafs.
Not impossible at all. He's still regarded by many in the game as the league's top goalie. You can dispute their opinions on this if you wish but it is a fact that he's seen that way by many. So yeah, he has value for sure.

As for the contract that is easily gotten around. Montreal is (or should be) in rebuild mode. They can eat a huge portion of his deal or absorb bad contracts in return. The goal for them would be to get better later. If I were Montreal I'd eat as much of his contract as I could for the next three or four years and put the rest on the team I'm dealing him to. And I'd also absorb whatever brutal contracts they want to dump on me now as well. There's huge value to a team looking for goaltending to do this. They get a stud goalie for cheap, unload bad contracts to fill up other areas and can contend immediately.

Up until last season he'd been the most consistent goalie in the league. And he's proven that he can take bad teams and carry them on his back for long periods of time. Imagine this guy in Nashville or some other contender. He'd give them a huge leg up.

He's easily tradeable and there are teams out there right now who should be trying to get him. Turning an area of weakness into a strength is a huge boost, esp if you can do it without breaking the bank.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

It's not really a massive risk if Montreal eats most of that contract now and takes on bad contracts in addition to it. It makes a lot of sense for teams to capitalize on it.

Good goalies get traded yes but elite ones in their prime don't move all that often and when you get a chance to land one you take it. Price has some injury history so there is some risk - but that's true of almost any player. He's well worth the risk.

Imagine him on Nashville. He goes behind that crazy D and he's only making three mil more than Rinne. Preds get a younger better goalie and Montreal can eat the difference. The Islanders could definitely use him, they would probably make the playoffs with him. Edmonton would be infinitely better with him... there are tons of teams who could use him.

Toronto though is not one of them in my opinion. They've got a promising young goalie already. They also have many, many years to try to win a cup. I probably wouldn't trade for Price if I were them because there's no reason trading the kind of prospect cost that it would take to land him. I'd try to upgrade my D instead.

Reactions: Lshap
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad