Value of: Carey Price to the Leafs (or another contender)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
There is NO way the Habs would help the Leafs contend...no way the Habs would trade a player of that calibre within division and I'm not even a Habs fan

The Habs are helping the Leafs contend by the mere fact of their current existence.......As for Price, he probably has the worst contract in the NHL at this point. Not only is it a poison pill but there's no guarantee he would put a contender over the top. There's not enough difference between he and and a guy like Andersen to justify the salary disparity.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Deal could be doable:

All Bad Leaf Contracts

For

Price (50% Retention) or $5.25M @ 8 Years
2019 - 1st

Tough deal for the Leafs considering their Cap Situation, but taking on Price at 50% will handicap their ability to resign players for the next 8 years. So the 1st is compensation for taking on this horrendous deal.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Deal could be doable:

All Bad Leaf Contracts

For

Price (50% Retention) or $5.25M @ 8 Years
2019 - 1st

Tough deal for the Leafs considering their Cap Situation, but taking on Price at 50% will handicap their ability to resign players for the next 8 years. So the 1st is compensation for taking on this horrendous deal.
The kicker here is we really don't have any...Marleau only has 1 year after this one, and Zaitsev is serviceable for his contract.

oh, and no thanks on Price to the Leafs...

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
The Montreal's and EDMs year goes sideways and Talbot isn't back to form how much would Habs fans be willing to retain?

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Why the heck would the Leafs be even looking at Price?

Price is a Hab for the time being but if he puts together a decent season I could see them dealing him next summer after he's paid a 13M signing bonus.

After he's paid out his bonus Price becomes in real dollars an 8 Million Dollar Goalie on a 7 year deal (56 remaining over 7 years) which would have a lot of value to a team like the Canes or Avs.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
The kicker here is we really don't have any...Marleau only has 1 year after this one, and Zaitsev is serviceable for his contract.

oh, and no thanks on Price to the Leafs...

I agree, this is why the 1st was included as compensation handcuffing the team for the next 8 years.

Reactions: Liferleafer

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I don't know if contenders are the right target for Price. They're generally cap committed and not big on the idea of all the changes that would be required to fit Price in.
It would/will be a challenge to move him for fair value.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Now is not the time for the Habs to potentially move Price. A few points on my reasons..

1) Cap needs to rise and it will. Give it another 2 years and let the average starting goalie salaries rise. What do you think Bob, Anderson, etc make in their next contracts? It will take time like it did with Lundqvist's contract for Price's contract to be manageable for a cup contender.

2) Price is not trending well. Too much focus at trolling his value. Price needs a rebound year to shut the trolls up.

3) Habs have Primeau who looks promising but is only age 19. Fast forward 2 years from now when Primeau is 21 and the Habs have a better idea if he can replace Price.

4) Price has a NMC. Habs are in rebuild on the fly mode. Weber is likely to be traded before Price. Then Price runs out of patience and opens up his NMC in potential trades to a cup contender.

2 more seasons is the right time to move Price.

Reactions: 666

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Probably, but no way for the Leafs to afford it without Anderson going to the Habs and Montreal retaining big on Price. Can't think of a trade that works capwise for the Leafs, and is stomachable for the Habs as far as a return goes.

Agreed about the cap space and it makes no sense. I do think Anderson is a good goalie though. Fringe top 10 in the league. However, Price is still one of the best goalies in the world and he will be for a while yet. Any cup contender adding him to their team is a game changer... if they can fit him in.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I can’t see any team taking Price at this point, he needs to have 1-2 good years before anyone even considers it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I can’t see any team taking Price at this point, he needs to have 1-2 good years before anyone even considers it.

You should learn about player values from the Patch situation and the many attempts of trolling his value after a disaster season from the Habs. Seriously, Do you think the main concern is Price is no longer one of the top goalies in the league? I get the cap concerns cause he should be making $9M (not $10.5) but are you saying he needs to have 1 or 2 good years on a team that has many missing holes before you start believing in him again?

Sorry, I don't understand this logic. Most NHL GM's on contending teams with an average goalie would love to add Price. Problem is price to acquire and how to fit him in. Look at the team like the Preds for example. Rinne has one more year left and will be age 37 in his new contract (Nov birthday). Saros is in line to replace him but lets say he struggles in a starting role. Habs retain $1.5M bringing down the AAV to $9M which is only $2M more than what they are paying Rinne now. Pretty sure they can absorb an extra $2M in cap space when the annual average increase in cap space is that and more.

Preds would be a good fit IMO. If the deal happened now (Don't think it will cause Price has a NMC and needs to run out of patience with the Habs first) but this is a deal that would work... Rinne + for Price ($1.5M retained).

Reactions: BrendanGallagher11

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You think somebody would take Price's contract?

Yes, with $1.5M retention for sure. $9M is not much more than what the top goalies will be paid very soon. I don't think this is as much of a problem as most pretend it to be. With no salary retention, then it's a debate.

The other factor is finding a cup contender or future cup contender (young team on the rise) looking for a goalie and don't already have a top 10 goalie

Reactions: BrendanGallagher11

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
While the premise of this thread is extremely flawed... I do have to wonder -- how much money would be required in order to move Carey Price? and is it a situation where the Habs retain just to get rid of him? or a situation where the Habs retain to get some sort of half reasonable return.

Carey Price is 31 years old and a veteran of 11 NHL seasons. Obviously, very few goalies have 20 year NHL careers these days, but 2 years ago, I think most people would've been confidently projecting Price to play 20 years. He was that good, and more importantly, that consistent.

Looking at the situation today, you've got a goalie who has, practically, played 2 of the last 3 years. One he spent injured, and of the 2 he played, 1 wasn't quite vintage/MVP Carey Price, but certainly a high quality #1 goalie -- the other (and most recent) -- barely passable as an NHL starter.

I guess it really comes down to whether you think last season was an abberation, or a sign of things to come. As a leaf fan who has watched Price dominate for most of his career I'm inclined to believe that it was an aberration. We may not see sub-2.1 GAAs and .930+ save percentages over 60+games from Price anymore, but I don't think .900 and 3.1 are a reasonable expectation either.

Realistically, he's a goalie who you'll probably get what the Habs got in 16-17 from -- 2.2-2.4GAA, and a .920 save percentage. Is a team prepared to pay $10.5m for that? no. But I think a team would be more than thrilled if they were paying $7.5m over the next 8 years for it.

That being said, I suspect that teams will need to see first hand that Price is capable of returning to form, before they part with a couple of young, quality assets, while Montreal retains $2-3m of his salary.

BrendanGallagher11

Sep 18, 2013
Montreal
Yes, with $1.5M retention for sure. $9M is not much more than what the top goalies will be paid very soon. I don't think this is as much of a problem as most pretend it to be. With no salary retention, then it's a debate.

The other factor is finding a cup contender or future cup contender (young team on the rise) looking for a goalie and don't already have a top 10 goalie
Flyers
Leafs
Preds
Blues
Etc...

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Well to be honest price I find is a better goalie. But Andersen is younger and his stats aren’t to bad. It would have to be a straight up deal. Andersen for price with a lot of retention. It all depends on who you think is a better goalie.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
He is simply paid too much for it to work out in an even trade. That being said MTL isnt competing and they have deep pockets so if they bite the bullet on f***ing up the AAV and retain on Price such that the team getting him isnt paying much more than their current goalie it could work. So if MTL really wanted to just start fresh I could see something along the lines of

Price @ 30-40% retained

For

Bishop
1st
prospect.

Something along those lines. Dallas ends up with Price on a good contract, MTL save a bit of cap going from 10 -> 9 or 8 of you reduce retention to 30% get a good replacement starter and a couple pieces to inject into their prospect pool that is starting to look better and better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->