Value of: Carey Price to the Leafs (or another contender)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HabsInsider

Buy XRP.
Mar 2, 2013
Ok, let's be honest here.

Just a few short years ago, my Habs were a contending team. The roster boasted players such as Subban, Markov, Pacioretty, Radulov, Galchenyuk, Eller, in addition to MVP Carey Price and a top prospect in Sergachev. Now, all but one of them's been moved. The Core is all but gutted. It's clear the Habs are rebuilding or at least re-tooling.

Realistically, Bergevin is eventually going to attempt to trade Carey Price, and probably Shea Weber too. Bergevin's 'win now' moves failed and the cup window has closed. There is now no point keeping either of them as it is counter-productive to successfully revamping the team. Certainly neither player wants to finish their career on a team that won't contend any time soon.

We all know Babcock loves Carey Price, and Dubas certainly would entertain the idea. How would a trade to the Leafs work? Is it even possible? Who else do you see acquiring Carey Price?

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
No one is acquiring Price. The minute he signed that awful contract was the day he made himself an official Habs member for good.

The funny thing is you probably could have received a great offer had you not extended him.

HabsInsider

Buy XRP.
Mar 2, 2013
Here's the thing. It's always an option for MTL to retain salary. I think that is 100% required for any trade to happen.

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's

Just a few short years ago, my Habs were a contending team. The roster boasted players such as Subban, Markov, Pacioretty, Radulov, Galchenyuk, Eller, in addition to MVP Carey Price and a top prospect in Sergachev. Now, all but one of them's been moved. The Core is all but gutted. It's clear the Habs are rebuilding or at least re-tooling.

Realistically, Bergevin is eventually going to attempt to trade Carey Price, and probably Shea Weber too. Bergevin's 'win now' moves failed and the cup window has closed. There is now no point keeping either of them as it is counter-productive to successfully revamping the team. Certainly neither player wants to finish their career on a team that won't contend any time soon.

We all know Babcock loves Carey Price, and Dubas certainly would entertain the idea. How would a trade to the Leafs work? Is it even possible? Who else do you see acquiring Carey Price?

I don't know about any other contender, but there is zero chance it would involve the Leafs.
Even if Montreal retains 4-5M per year, the cost to acquire him would not be worth it.

Thanks anyway, but not interested

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Do the Leafs need a goalie? And an insanely overpaid one at that when we have a good goalie, in his prime, on a good contract?

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Not that this would ever happen or that either team would do it, but the only way I’d do it is if the habs retained enough money so that Price’s retention + Andersen would equal what we’re paying Price AAV. So Andersen and some draft pick of sorts for Price with both teams having a 7.75m cap hit.
Habs can flip Andy for more assets. If I were Dubas I doubt I’d pull the trigger on this deal, but I’d definitely give pause and ask my management team their thoughts, and have the cap gurus crunch the numbers due to having to allocate more space in net for the next three seasons at least. Who knows what Andersen will get next contract.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
The difference between Andersen and Price wouldn't be worth the acquisition cost for Toronto and when you factor in contracts, I'm sure Dubas would rather stick with Freddy.

Now, if you're offering Weber at 30-50% retained, there might be a conversation.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Jesus...if you are going to offer one of you crappy contracts, at least make it Weber as defense us an actual need....but still.....no.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
What about Price for Crawford + Seabrook + Debrincat + another sweetner.

Or something like that.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
tenor.gif

Keep walking.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017

the leafs are just fine in net......they dont need price

Reactions: Sundinisagod

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
There is NO way the Habs would help the Leafs contend...no way the Habs would trade a player of that calibre within division and I'm not even a Habs fan

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
No thanks to paying any goalie 10.5M. Maybe if the Habs retain 4M.

Besides, if you look at the numbers over the past two seasons, we have the better goalie anyway.

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
No one is acquiring Price. The minute he signed that awful contract was the day he made himself an official Habs member for good.

The funny thing is you probably could have received a great offer had you not extended him.
FAKE NEWS

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
Plenty of teams will pay big for Price.....teams always get desperate at the deadline and if they believe they are just one piece away they will go after Price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->