Player Discussion Carey Price - The Non All-Star Edition

Will Price Ask for trade before end of season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
You would've put your foot down? That changes everything then. Why didn't you say so at the beginning? I'm sure Price would've worked for hotdogs and beer.
You’re acting like being a GM requires some kind of magical skill. They aren’t Doctors. Some of these GMs are actually bad at their jobs. Toronto hired some 27 year old nobody. I’m confident I could swing it. It’s not brain surgery.

Could I be an NHL coach? No way, not even possible.

Could I be an NHL GM? Definitely

Last edited:
Reactions: calder candidate

VoodooWizardry35

Nov 28, 2019
Besides the Big Figure, I still don't understand why Price re-signed with Habs. The guy had the opportunity to become free agent and chose his destination. I never had a feeling that Price was in such love with Montreal and the Habs' fans.

The same question could be asked about a lot of players in the league such as Doughty, Kopitar, Trevor Daley, Matt Cullen (when he left Pitt to go to Minn) to name a few. With Price, I think alot of it had to due with injury that put him out season and not knowing if he would get an offer that high a year later.

Streetsamurai

Nov 1, 2019
So then you trade him, you don’t give him 10.5 million that’s ridiculous. You don’t build your team around a goalie. Just because another team makes a mistake it doesn’t mean we should. On top of it a goalie only plays maximum 70-75 % of the games... Bad bad move..

Problem with the habs is that the roy era made them think that the only way to win a cup was building around a goaleux, even though in the current era it is probably the worst way to build a team

Reactions: Cobra Commander

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
You’re acting like being a GM requires some kind of magical skill. They aren’t Doctors. Some of these GMs are actually bad at their jobs. Toronto hired some 27 year old nobody. I’m confident I could swing it. It’s not brain surgery.

Pretty much , im such a hockey nerd. Maybe paper side id be a bit lost at the start but doing the job that Bergevin is doing right now at around 4m a year , it's a joke. He's not doing anything
Seriously people thinks because they are GMs or were old hockey players think they are smarter than anyone else or someshit. Im sure if the GM job was open for everybody , the person hired would be a f***ing no name in the sphere of hockey and would probably do 5 times a better job than Bergevin right now atleast.

Same for the president of hockey operations , such a ''meme'' job. His job is just to fire the GM when its the time , call meetings and thats all.

Such hard jobs woah. Also just looking at the fact how dumb Bergevin is , you dont need to go at school to be a GM. The dude cant barely speak english or french. The dude cant even do a properly gym schedule , just look at his damn chicken legs.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Problem with the habs is that the roy era made them think that the only way to win a cup was building around a goaleux, even though in the current era it is probably the worst way to build a team
The Roy era has zero in common with today's clubs. That'd be like comparing the 80s Oilers to today and saying that it's foolhardy for Edmonton to build around McDavid. Those Habs clubs were actual TEAMS.

Our best club was probably the 2014-16 rosters. They had holes but at least there was some talent there. Unfortunately, we undermined them with MT. And the moment Price went down the team crumpled.

No team should be built solely around one player. You won't win that way. McDavid is proof of that. So is Mario Lemieux... You have to have a team to win.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
Do the Habs still have the rights to Zach Fucale? Just won another Spengler Cup. Not that that is indication of ability to play in the NHL

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
The Roy era has zero in common with today's clubs. That'd be like comparing the 80s Oilers to today and saying that it's foolhardy for Edmonton to build around McDavid. Those Habs clubs were actual TEAMS.

Our best club was probably the 2014-16 rosters. They had holes but at least there was some talent there. Unfortunately, we undermined them with MT. And the moment Price went down the team crumpled.

No team should be built solely around one player. You won't win that way. McDavid is proof of that. So is Mario Lemieux... You have to have a team to win.
The other thing you need is a top center. All the Cup winners have had good centers goin* back since I can remember

I like Danault but he is not the guy

Reactions: Streetsamurai

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Chicken or the egg. Has Price lost his focus because his D isn't playing well, or is the D overcompensating because they know Price isn't playing well? Somebody's head clearly isn't in the game.

Reactions: Habs Icing

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Chicken or the egg. Has Price lost his focus because his D isn't playing well, or is the D overcompensating because they know Price isn't playing well? Somebody's head clearly isn't in the game.
The team just sucks. Goalies will go through their ups and downs just like any other player, difference is when they're down, well the team loses. Meanwhile a Drouin or Domi can play like crap for 10~15 games and the team goes along fine.

Price could definitely be better, but the team sucks. Fans are discussing how Chiarot is a pretty good Dman and Danault is a fine center....that sums it up for you.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Looks like the roller coaster is back yet again. Let in a few questionable goals,trade him, his cap is high,he's garbage. Go on a winning streak,he's god! cap never mattered anyways.

He's a good goalie and his cap is not or has not been an issue to date. He doesn't acquire the players to make the roster nor does he make the strategy for game play. He does allow the occasional softy,but makes some outstanding saves as well and makes it look easy. He was doing fine out west and looks rusty after the break. Let's see how the next few games go.

Time to put some blame on Waite as he is suppose to be some sort of guru but can not do a thing with a back up tender,why is that FFS.

Reactions: Milhouse40

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

You could be because they're bad GMs...so ya, you could also be a bad GM. Being a good one though, that's much harder.

badi

Jan 21, 2008
Price took the money and signed here knowing that Bergevin was in charge ,,,
Don t feel bad for him

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
All you have to do is put your foot down. Everything flows from there. It's that easy.
Cant blame anyone for thinking that though, the guy in charge has been horrible and hes still here. Same for others around the league.
Not hard to think anybody could do better.

But yes, to be actually a good GM, you are required to have a special set of skills.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
The team just sucks. Goalies will go through their ups and downs just like any other player, difference is when they're down, well the team loses. Meanwhile a Drouin or Domi can play like crap for 10~15 games and the team goes along fine.

Price could definitely be better, but the team sucks. Fans are discussing how Chiarot is a pretty good Dman and Danault is a fine center....that sums it up for you.

That's where i have a problem with the criticism of Price....if the team would be a good team and was supposed to make the PO or was supposed to make it far in the PO and they couldn't do that because of our goaltending, then i would be the first in line to crap on Price.

But it's not the case here. It never been the case for that last 10 years. Our team sucks on paper and sucks on the ice. Most of us knew that since July 2nd this year.

So a bad team is expecting to lose games, and everytime we lose games, it's always on Price like we were supposed to win all 82 games.

I get the part that with his salary he should give up a little positive edge and many times he doesn't but no player or goalie can transform a bottom 5 team into a PO team.

Reactions: angusyoung

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

The backend sucks. The offence has remained strong. 9 goals in two games is good. 11 goals against is embarrassing, especially when we had the lead.

What's weird is that last year's team wasn't any better, yet Price was terrific from late November onwards. This year's Price continues to go back and forth between Vezina-level and Lost In Space, which at this point in the season is a bad sign. The question is why. Is Price frustrated with Bergevin and the roster, or simply with himself? If Price is unhappy with the direction the team is taking, it would reverberate up to Molson's office. Nobody has been part of the organization longer than Price and you'd think his voice carries weight.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The backend sucks. The offence has remained strong. 9 goals in two games is good. 11 goals against is embarrassing, especially when we had the lead.

What's weird is that last year's team wasn't any better, yet Price was terrific from late November onwards. This year's Price continues to go back and forth between Vezina-level and Lost In Space, which at this point in the season is a bad sign. The question is why. Is Price frustrated with Bergevin and the roster, or simply with himself? If Price is unhappy with the direction the team is taking, it would reverberate up to Molson's office. Nobody has been part of the organization longer than Price and you'd think his voice carries weight.
In order to get out of the losing streak, the team adjusted and tightened up defensively. With it came better results.

When you don't have talent, you have to adopt a more defensive system. If you don't do that, you're going to get smoked.

That doesn't excuse Price either though. I haven't seen the last two games. I read that there were some crazy bounces and bad defensive play. But it also seems that Price let in goals he shouldn't have. And if that's the case, then there's no excuse for that.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
...but no player or goalie can transform a bottom 5 team into a PO team.
Nobody is asking that of him though. We just want him to stop costing us games and points, I don't think that's too much to ask.

We could have easily left Florida with 3 or 4 points with competent goaltending, instead we leave with zero.

Look at his sv% in his losses lately:

5-6 fla .824
4-5 tbl .833
3-4 edm .846
0-2 det .900
2-3 Bos .912
4-6 njd .853
1-8 bos .545
5-6 nyr .824
2-5 cbj .808

In 7 of his last 9 losses, he's put up less than a .855%.

That means for every 30 shots he sees he's letting in around 4.5 goals. Compared to even league average (.910; 3.7ga per 30.)

I see a few games on that list where he was so bad he cost us points.

No one is asking him to drag a bottom 5 team into a playoff position because we're not a bottom 5 team. We're a playoff bubble team - and it would be nice if our franchise goalie merely helped keep us in the hunt, rather than turn a playoff bubble team into a bottom 10 team because of consistent bad goaltending performances that cost the team crucial points.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
You never played goalie…..obviously.
Just spend 20 minutes with that goalie equipment on for the fun of it.
I own a window and door installation business and worked construction framing houses for many many years, I’m sure he’s never suffered like I have apart from his knee injury. I’ll never have pitty for a hockey player making kabillions of dollars sorry. I’ve seen the guys in my industry break their backs for years in the hot sun just to end up with nothing at the end, so please spare me.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
But it also seems that Price let in goals he shouldn't have. And if that's the case, then there's no excuse for that.
That's the issue. No one is expecting him to churn out vezina numbers behind this team, just stop the ones you're supposed to and give your team a chance to win. He's not doing that consistently this year and it's frustrating.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
The cap space is irrelevant at this stage. We have cap space to burn. His cap hit hasn't hurt us at all...

What's hurt us is not building any kind of blueline or taking any kind of direction. We could've paid Price TWENTY million in cap space last year and it wouldn't have made any difference. Think about it.

Disagree here, we have extra capspace, but not enough to put us in the market for a Karlsson or someone of that ilk, without 10.5 million in capspace going to Price and say 5-6 Million going to his replacement it may have allowed to be bigger players in the UFA market. I don't think you can just say we're not spending to the limit so this money doesn't hurt us any.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad