Player Discussion Carey Price - The Non All-Star Edition

Will Price Ask for trade before end of season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
His cap hit didn't prevent us from having a good D in front of him.

Having Price at that price point is fine. Not doing anything to build an actual team is the problem.

You can be the best player in the world and still not make the playoffs. Lemieux didn't make it on crappy teams. McDavid isn't making it either. We've had more than enough cap space to get a couple of first pairing guys but we've squandered it.

We wasted FIVE million on Alzner and have had TEN mil in cap space. That's fifteen million dollars to go out and get a decent blueline.
Sorry but I disagree, having Price at 10.5 million is not fine, it’s toxic. And having a cheapskate owner who wants to save 10 million dollars this season is also very toxic. And a stupid f***ing GM who sings garbage like Alzner when EVERYONE knew Alzner was finished is toxic.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
:banghead: And you're complaining about Price's contract using 10.5m in cap space when we're not spending up to that cap despite that.
BUT WE SHOULD BE SPENDING TO THE CAP! WE SHOULDN’T HAVE A 10.5 MILLION DOLLAR GOALIE.

WE SHOULD HAVE A SMART GM WHO CAN SEE PAST HIS STUPID NOSE AND WHO CAN BUILD A CONTENDER.

Can’t you see how stupid the whole situation is??

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Sorry but I disagree, having Price at 10.5 million is not fine, it’s toxic. And having a cheapskate owner who wants to save 10 million dollars this season is also very toxic. And a stupid ****ing GM who sings garbage like Alzner when EVERYONE knew Alzner was finished is toxic.
It's fine if you actually build a team to go with him.

Instead, we sign him and then let Markov go and replace him with Alzner and a bunch of guys who've been up and down between the pros and the minors. It's not a suprise that the team has crapped out.

We should've gone for it way back in the Subban era. That would've made sense. Trade picks/prospects and try to win. We didn't do that... okay fine.

Come 2017-18 we let Markov and Radulov walk. And we replace them with? Nothing...

Dude, that's just f***ing braindead. How the hell are you going to win anything that way? How's your goalie going to stop pucks when it's a flavour of the week on the left side all the time? That's just plain dumb.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
BUT WE SHOULD BE SPENDING TO THE CAP! WE SHOULDN’T HAVE A 10.5 MILLION DOLLAR GOALIE.

WE SHOULD HAVE A SMART GM WHO CAN SEE PAST HIS STUPID NOSE AND WHO CAN BUILD A CONTENDER.

Can’t you see how stupid the whole situation is??
Stupid is whining about a guy's cap when we have a brutal D, ten mil in cap space plus Alzner eating another three and a half sitting in the minors.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

Instead, we sign him and then let Markov go and replace him with Alzner and a bunch of guys who've been up and down between the pros and the minors. It's not a suprise that the team has crapped out.

We should've gone for it way back in the Subban era. That would've made sense. Trade picks/prospects and try to win. We didn't do that... okay fine.

Come 2017-18 we let Markov and Radulov walk. And we replace them with? Nothing...

Dude, that's just ****ing braindead. How the hell are you going to win anything that way? How's your goalie going to stop pucks when it's a flavour of the week on the left side all the time? That's just plain dumb.
Yup - I was hoping they’d package that 2012 1st (Galchenyuk) + Beaulieu for Johanssen who was showing signs of clashing with CBJ.

Would’ve added the missing ingredient (C) to the young core of Price, Subban and Max

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
His cap hit doesn't mean squat.
I understand this point. We're not up against the cap, we're not losing players because of his deal, so what does it matter what he's getting paid?

When it starts to matter is when he stops playing like he is paid to do, which is to be a good NHL starter.

Are we supposed to give up assets to try and acquire a goalie who actually helps us win games? Do we pay this duo 16 or 17m a year? Do we eat his salary for the next six years?

His sv% since the start of the 17-18 season is .908 over 147 games. That's fkin horrible, and it's not all on our defense.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center

Dude, that's just ****ing braindead. How the hell are you going to win anything that way? How's your goalie going to stop pucks when it's a flavour of the week on the left side all the time? That's just plain dumb.
Price should have been offered 7.5 million maximum. If he’s not happy with that then bye bye. And of course we should have a much better defense in front of him. But the plan was to retain Price at all cost to please the Fe-Fans and cheap out on the cap space to save money. These management guys should all be thrown into an incinerator.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Stupid is whining about a guy's cap when we have a brutal D, ten mil in cap space plus Alzner eating another three and a half sitting in the minors.
I’m whining about the situation as a whole, not the way I would have done it, but then again I live my life with logic, that’s why I’m successful.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I understand this point. We're not up against the cap, we're not losing players because of his deal, so what does it matter what he's getting paid?

When it starts to matter is when he stops playing like he is paid to do, which is to be a good NHL starter.

Are we supposed to give up assets to try and acquire a goalie who actually helps us win games? Do we pay this duo 16 or 17m a year? Do we eat his salary for the next six years?

His sv% since the start of the 17-18 season is .908 over 147 games. That's fkin horrible, and it's not all on our defense.
I told you what we SHOULD have done in the past. We didn't do that. We put a brutal D in front of him and his numbers are predictably worse. I said it would be worse three years ago and that's what we've seen. It's been doubly stupid because not only have we hurt the team, but we've hurt Price's trade value. Put him behind even a decent D and he's going to put up solid numbers.

Now? I'd trade him. This summer was the last straw. We could've tried to do something and go for it. We didn't do anything. So now it's time to cut bait with Price and Weber. Deal them and rebuild.

All we're doing now is wasting their prime years and hurting Price's value. Weber's having his best season in years, his value is sky high and we should exploit this. If he gets hurt, we're going to regret it.

I don't expect it to happen now. We're still in a playoff race and we'll see how that goes. But if we fall out, we have to sell. And we should definitely sell in the summer.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Price should have been offered 7.5 million maximum. If he’s not happy with that then bye bye. And of course we should have a much better defense in front of him. But the plan was to retain Price at all cost to please the Fe-Fans and cheap out on the cap space to save money. These management guys should all be thrown into an incinerator.
He got exactly what Lundqvist got percentage wise when he signed his deal. Zero problem with that. Esp when this team has no other large deals of any real significance on its roster. Totally cool doing that.

Turning around and then doing nothing for three years after letting key players leave? That's mindblowingly stupid.

Reactions: Pickles

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I told you what we SHOULD have done in the past. We didn't do that. We put a brutal D in front of him and his numbers are predictably worse. I said it would be worse three years ago and that's what we've seen. It's been doubly stupid because not only have we hurt the team, but we've hurt Price's trade value. Put him behind even a decent D and he's going to put up solid numbers.

Now? I'd trade him. This summer was the last straw. We could've tried to do something and go for it. We didn't do anything. So now it's time to cut bait with Price and Weber. Deal them and rebuild.

All we're doing now is wasting their prime years and hurting Price's value. Weber's having his best season in years, his value is sky high and we should exploit this.

I don't expect it to happen now. We're still in a playoff race and we'll see how that goes. But if we fall out, we have to sell. And we should definitely sell in the summer.
Price has hurt his own trade value with his disinterested play. It's not as if he's playing his balls off every night, he's fed up/feeling sorry for himself most nights, capitulating on plays before they happen.

It's unbecoming for one of the highest paid players in the world, and a big reason why I'm so pissed of at him. He's a quitter.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
I think his numbers were solid last season:
2018-19Montreal CanadiensNHL66123880161042.493524617910.918
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Believe he will bounce back in the new year and keep us in contention for a playoff spot

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
He got exactly what Lundqvist got percentage wise when he signed his deal. Zero problem with that. Esp when this team has no other large deals of any real significance on its roster. Totally cool doing that.

Turning around and then doing nothing for three years after letting key players leave? That's mindblowingly stupid.
So because Lundqvist got it that means that we should have done it for Price too?

OldCraig is right, this a copycat league.

So because NY makes a dumb move we should too.. ok.. Or maybe we should of had better vision and trade him for a big return, we would be a heck of a lot better off right now. Look at us.. we’re a joke, we’ve been a joke for years, everyone is laughing at us and our 10.5 million dollar goalie.

How many points does CapSpace have this season?

THIS MANAGEMENT TEAM ARE A BUNCH OF CLOWNS. The joke is on us!

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Price has hurt his own trade value with his disinterested play. It's not as if he's playing his balls off every night, he's fed up/feeling sorry for himself most nights, capitulating on plays before they happen.

It's unbecoming for one of the highest paid players in the world, and a big reason why I'm so pissed of at him. He's a quitter.
Haven't seen the last two games. I do know that this thread was buried on the tenth page for the better part of a month before them though.

It's the same old thing, he has a bad game or two and people jump all over him. TEN MILLION!!! Whatever... put him on a good team and he'll help them win a cup.

Worst case scenario with Price is we don't get as much as we otherwise could for him. But GMs aren't stupid, they know when a player's stuck on a bad team. Colorado traded for Roy at the ebb of his career because they knew he was on a stinky club and were rewarded handsomely for it. I don't see why they wouldn't do it again now. Esp since we'd take their three million dollar goalie contract off their hands as well.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
My conclusion is that we should have a 5-6 million dollar Goalie and a team that spends to the cap.
Good for you. :laugh:

Almost everyone here would agree that MB has f***ed things up. But Price is the least of our problems. Even if you think we overpaid Price by three mil (we didn't btw) three mil is a small amount to overpay by. It's not problematic to overpay your key players.

What's problematic is not building an actual hockey team around key players.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Yeah, sorry... that's how contract negotiating works. It's based on precedent.
So then you trade him, you don’t give him 10.5 million that’s ridiculous. You don’t build your team around a goalie. Just because another team makes a mistake it doesn’t mean we should. On top of it a goalie only plays maximum 70-75 % of the games... Bad bad move..

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
So then you trade him, you don’t give him 10.5 million that’s ridiculous. You don’t build your team around a goalie. Just because another team makes a mistake it doesn’t mean we should. On top of it a goalie only plays maximum 70-75 % of the games... Bad bad move..
We never did build around our goalie... that's the problem bud.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

May I ask how you know if he’s “playing his balls off” or not? Or how you know the guy who was top rated junior goalie leading his Tri City team, leading his AHL team to Calder cup and numerous international events for Team Canada gold is all of a sudden a quitter? And no Tri City and AHL were not All Star casts..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille