Player Discussion Carey Price - The Non All-Star Edition

Will Price Ask for trade before end of season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
Halak also played in front of the best team in the NHL last year, while playing less than half of their games,

Price played in front of one of the worst teams in the league and having no real backup to speak of, so he played more games in a season that was cut short than most starters play in a full season.

You're not going to change my mind on this, and I won't change yours though. Have a good one.

Price played behind team canada for 8 games? And they called him the best in the world.

Oh ok cool, so you’re confirming that you have no arguments.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
Boy you should stop this seriously... Price would have got around 8-10M$ in contract from any other GM in the league if they had the cap space. For the maximum number of years possible too. Halak can't even dream of that number. Stats are not everything you need to look up for. Especially when you compare a #1 and a #2 goalie.

i’m just asking how Price is better. No one gave me an answer yet

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
No way Halak does as good on the Habs this year with the same workload as Price had.
Halak has a nice gig always playing rested on one of the best teams in the league.

BlueBrunswick

Jan 27, 2014
I think it's pretty safe to say Price is better than Halak - by a wide margin. It's also safe to say Price is over rated by a similar margin. Price can be over rated and a top NHL goalie, those things are not mutually exclusive. Price's perceived value benefits from the market he plays in and his nationality. Change his name to Karri Pryze from Estonia playing for the Coyotes and the words generational and best in the world would be used a lot less. The fact is he's a Canadian goalie at a time when he is the only star Canadian born goalie in the league, he plays in a league which includes about 45% Canadian born players, that number is coming down, but Canadians still make up by far the largest group in the league, it is even more pronounced in team leadership positions - 80% of GMs are Canadian - there is only one European born. Similar numbers with coaches. Hockey writers are predominantly Canadian, no nation spends as much time writing about hockey as Canada - if you play, manage, or write about hockey for a living, the odds are you're Canadian.. All this creates a situation where if we are talking goalies in this country, we are talking Price. His numbers the last 4 years have been good - 235 games played, .910 Sv % - 2.77 Gaa. Only 13 goalies have played 200 games over the last 4 years... those numbers put him about of the middle of the pack - Anderson/Dubnyk type numbers. There was a time when Price was by far the best goalie in the league - that time ended 5 years ago and spanned the better part of 4 years, but because of injury covered less than 200 games. Those are the years that come to mind when Canadians think of Price - not the 6 years before - 310 games - .915 Sv% - 2.56 Gaa, great numbers by 2020 standards, but back in the day those numbers where middle of the pack if not slightly below average for a starting goalie. Price has played 235 games since coming back from injury - he was once again great that first year, but he his numbers have declined with age. His numbers, benefiting from that great first year back, are middle of the pack, if not a little better, but he can't seriously be considered a top 5 goalie at this point, again if his name was Karri Pryze, he he wouldn't be, but it's not, as a result he get to hear announcers refer to him as the best goalie in the world at least once a broadcast.

Reactions: barbu

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017

He's still doing camping (I've no problem against his summer preparation I trust Price no matter what). That being said, I'm not sure that he wants ''HHHOOOCCCKKKEEEYYY'' to be back...

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Michel Therrien doesn't get enough credit for Price's success in the past. It was a similar situation as with Islanders goalies under Trotz. You got the impression that he was constantly bailing the team out, when in fact the chances for the opposing team were the only chances available and the goalie was able to anicipate them.
Please stop trying to convince people that the sky is green.

MT was/is one of the worst coaches in NHL history. I sincerely hope Boston or Toronto are dumb enough to hire him someday. Not likely but one can dream.

And it is absolutely hilarious that the Halak thing continues to come back once or twice a year...

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Carey Price on Family, Culture, and His Career - Innovating Canada

“I wouldn’t be as resilient as I'm without having grown up in Anahim Lake. It has given me a lifelong love of fishing and appreciation for the outdoors.”

“Without a doubt my go-to hobby right now is fishing. It’s an endless pursuit, although such is the case with most hobbies. A few other hobbies of mine are team roping, archery, long-range shooting, and golf. I’m passionate about them all but assuredly not a master of any.”

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017

It seems to me that he's on top shape. He's been doing yoga. He's taking care of himself with his healthy nutrional program (fish, etc).

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Halak was 24-25? Price had a couple years in the league on top of that.
Halak got the team in to the ecf that year.

Halak was developed properly. He tasted the NHL young. But he wasn’t forced into a role he wasn’t ready for at any point. 25 is around the age goaltenders come into their own. Price was to young at 20-22. Although he learned despite some pretty massive growing pains during the early years. That’s not taking away from Halak. He still had to put in the work and he’s had a respectable career. But comparing him to Price development wise doesn’t work. Price was thrown to the wolves and managed to make something of himself whereas a Thibealt type drowned under the same circumstances.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He was 22. Lol he was appearing in 40-50+ games from ages 20-22 in a pressure cooker market. He shut just about everyone up when he was 23 the year after Halak was traded.

Remember his "it's preseason, relax" comment he made to the media? Not many at that age can stand up to the Montreal media that way and prove to them that he was right.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
10 years (and more to come) after that trade, this JH41/CP31 ''dEbAtE'' still continues :sarcasm:

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
Halak was developed properly. He tasted the NHL young. But he wasn’t forced into a role he wasn’t ready for at any point. 25 is around the age goaltenders come into their own. Price was to young at 20-22. Although he learned despite some pretty massive growing pains during the early years. That’s not taking away from Halak. He still had to put in the work and he’s had a respectable career. But comparing him to Price development wise doesn’t work. Price was thrown to the wolves and managed to make something of himself whereas a Thibealt type drowned under the same circumstances.

Still not answering why is Price considered better than Halak? I read lots and lots of excuses but no one has given us a fact, something that he does that makes him better than not just Halak but most top goalies in the NHL.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Still not answering why is Price considered better than Halak? I read lots and lots of excuses but no one has given us a fact, something that he does that makes him better than not just Halak but most top goalies in the NHL.

He won a hart, lindsay, Vezina and had one of the most dominating olympic performances of all time. Hows that for a start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad