Carey Price showing he'll never be an all-time great of his generation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Carey making a fool out of the thread starter. :laugh: :laugh:

For sure. I think people should be held accountable when they make ridiculous statements.

As I said in another thread, the fact that NHL players chose Carey as the best goalie in the league in the most recent NHLPA poll is enough for me. So anyone who doesn't think Price is elite is basically wrong.

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
It makes sense to keep the criteria tight for goalies, as the talent pool is much, much smaller. In a 31 team league, there are 403+ forwards, 217+ defensemen, and 62+ goalies.

Last season there were 30 goalies that played more than half the games (35+ games) and this season there were only 28 goalies that played half the games (28+ games). Back when it was a 21 team league, there were only 15-20 goalies playing more than half the games in a season.

Objectively, it stands to reason that a very, very questionable HHOF forward induction like Andreychuk who was the 3rd best LW (AS voting) out of 160 LWs that played in the NHL in his best season is more impressive than being the third, fourth, or fifth best goalie out of 20-30 starting goalies in the league.

I don't know if my logic is faulty, but I feel like since there are less goaltending jobs available, they shouldn't be as strict on HHOF criteria. Isn't it statically harder to be a NHL goalie than it is to be an NHL skater?

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
You don't have a clue what you are talking about. Goalies back then were way smaller and had way smaller equipment which also protected less than todays gear, meaning it hurt a lot more to play goal. They were also pretty athletic back then. The only thing better now is technique and coaching. Goalies back then also didn't have the cushy team defences of today.

Kind of my point, exactly. I know goalies are not inherently more talented today, but they are better because equipment and technique in particular. To a point where it’s almost impossible to compare say Ken Dryden to Martin Brodeur…

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
For sure. I think people should be held accountable when they make ridiculous statements.

As I said in another thread, the fact that NHL players chose Carey as the best goalie in the league in the most recent NHLPA poll is enough for me. So anyone who doesn't think Price is elite is basically wrong.
Hilarious takes on here at times............guys on here think they know more, than the guys who actually PLAY in the best league in the world....

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012

I mean I agree with you and think Price is a beast, but at least don't make stuff up lol. Vasilevskiy was rated the best by 54%, Fleury 2nd, and Price 3rd with 8% voting.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I mean I agree with you and think Price is a beast, but at least don't make stuff up lol. Vasilevskiy was rated the best by 54%, Fleury 2nd, and Price 3rd with 8% voting.

My bad, I looked it up a few weeks ago but just misremembered. Should have said one of the best.

Can't argue with Vasi, though.

It is nice to see Carey finally get a chance to shine on the big stage because I do think postseason success is important for someone to reach legend status. But the stars may finally be aligning for him.

Reactions: User9992

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
My bad, I looked it up a few weeks ago but just misremembered. Should have said one of the best.

It is nice to see Carey finally get a chance to shine on the big stage because I do think postseason success is important for someone to reach legend status. But the stars may finally be aligning for him.
Price has been perpetually voted the best in the league by his peers for a long time now. This is the first year in I don't know how long that he hasn't won it. And quite frankly he really did get off to a rough start this year. It was the first time I watched him play and felt like it wasn't due to his D.

What was brutal though was how quick people just wrote him off. And this is just after knocking off the Pens in last year's playoffs. It was ridiculous.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario

I think this is the first year he wasn't voted best since Price's insane season when he won everything though. And is still top 3 this year.

Vasi has been an absolute monster though

Reactions: User9992 and HabsQC

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
Price deserved the Hart that season, but he would not have won the Hart in literally any other season dating back to 05-06.

Luongo had to deal with a prime Sidney Crosby scoring 120 points preventing him from getting the Hart.

Lundqvist had to contend with Malkin who had an absolute monster season, scoring 50g 59a 109pts in 75gp. That same year Stamkos scored 60 goals too.

If Price had to deal with that type of competition, with forwards having seasons such as the above mentioned, he would not have won the Hart. I agree, he deserved the Hart that season, but its primarily because he had to contend with players like Jamie Benn and Tavares. He didn't have to contend with prime/peak Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, etc.

Its why I think Price's Hart is completely overblown. It was the perfect storm to give the goaltender the Hart, literally everything had to go his way to get it and he did. Im not bashing him, but if we are being honest he won it because it was a historically weak season from the top end forwards.

Maybe cause Pricer stopped all their shots :sarcasm:

Imagine being so good, you made the entire league dip on offense ;)

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I think this is the first year he wasn't voted best since Price's insane season when he won everything though. And is still top 3 this year.

Vasi has been an absolute monster though
Imagine Price behind that team though... I mean Vasi had Hedman and McD plus powerhouse forwards that Price could only dream of. It's basically an all-star team.

I don't take anything away from Vasi but it's way easier to play behind that club than the crap that Price has had. There were times it looked like our D was playing for the other side.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
We've been seeing the beginning of the decline of a very good goalie in Carey Price for the last few years, but now we are truly seeing where this may end up going. It won't be pretty, but it typically isn't.

Price was touted as the perfect goalie prospect. And while he has had some highs, he clearly never reached the all time great status. He'll never be on a level with the best of this generation of goalies.

Goalies like Henrik Lundqvist, Marc-Andre Fleury, Tuukka Rask, and Pekka Rinna are the cream of the crop over the last 15 years. He's just never sustained the level of play long enough to be in this group.

He's beginning to be in a group with guys like Braden Holtby, Sergei Bobrovsky, and Jonathan Quick. Guys that had too short of a peak to be more than very good.

The one time you thought he would have his chance in 2014, and his own player went and took him out of the series, it was such a shame. He's never had a chance since then, and some of that lays at his own feet.

Maybe he can have another run in him, but this is looking more of the beginning of the end than a blip on the radar.

Imagine being this wrong after only a couple of weeks

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Imagine Price behind that team though... I mean Vasi had Hedman and McD plus powerhouse forwards that Price could only dream of. It's basically an all-star team.

I don't take anything away from Vasi but it's way easier to play behind that club than the crap that Price has had. There were times it looked like our D was playing for the other side.

No doubt, but Vasi is an absolute monster, and was the best goalie this year and has consistently been top 3/5 for I'd say 5 years now.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
No doubt, but Vasi is an absolute monster, and was the best goalie this year and has consistently been top 3/5 for I'd say 5 years now.
How great would he have been with Jordie Benn as his first pairing LD? How great would he have been without an all star offense?

How much better do you think Price's numbers would've been on that roster?

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Figured this got bumped when I started getting notifications out of nowhere lol

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
This thread is Hillarious.

Keep proving Doubters wrong, Carey!

$10.5 mill caphit since 2018, all the way to 2026. Who has he proven wrong? He hasn't lived up to being a top 3 goalie every season, which would be expected from that contract

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This thread bump kinda confuses me because the premise of what the OP said is right. I think the OP is wrong about some things, but I think they're wrong in that no goalies today are going to go down as an "all time great" of their generation. There are no active goalies today who will go down as being on par with Brodeur, Hasek or Roy. I think that's kinda what OP meant with Price, but I'm not positive.

10 different goalies in the last 12 years have the Vezina. If guys like Kane or Malkin aren't considered "all time greats" with their resumes, I don't really see an argument for why any active goalie should be either. Maybe Vasilevskiy can get into that category, but he's really the only one I think could do that.

Reactions: dragonballgtz

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
This thread bump kinda confuses me because the premise of what the OP said is right. I think the OP is wrong about some things, but I think they're wrong in that no goalies today are going to go down as an "all time great" of their generation. There are no active goalies today who will go down as being on par with Brodeur, Hasek or Roy. I think that's kinda what OP meant with Price, but I'm not positive.

10 different goalies in the last 12 years have the Vezina. If guys like Kane or Malkin aren't considered "all time greats" with their resumes, I don't really see an argument for why any active goalie should be either. Maybe Vasilevskiy can get into that category, but he's really the only one I think could do that.

Honestly, no offense to OP, but I think OP's Title is Confusing.
"All time Great of his generation" is a little redundant.
I think what he means is "One of The Best of his Generation". In which, in my opinion, he is.

Reactions: LurkerMcgee

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
74f6e990-882d-475c-b7d8-ec464a1b18c8-jpeg.400646

I think he could regain his form, but he's having this kind of year

Yikes....

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events