Carey Price showing he'll never be an all-time great of his generation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Some people in this thread are gonna be mad when Price gets into the HoF on his first ballot easily
If Fleury gets in already the standards may be lowered. But the HOF on goalies has been very rigid before and it would take a change for it to happen.

Reactions: Voight

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
If Fleury gets in already the standards may be lowered. But the HOF on goalies has been very rigid before and it would take a change for it to happen.

They've been rigid, but a goalie with a Hart, Vezina, Lindsay, Jennings, Gold Medal, World Cup Gold, and likely top-10 in wins is going to get into the Hall.

Reactions: HabsQC

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
His 2013-2016 peak years might be the 2nd best ever, behind Hasek.

Without his injury in 2015 in the ECF, he might have carried an average to below average team to the Stanley Cup.

He has suck in the last 2 years, but his place in the HoF is already set in stone.

tenor.gif

Holy crap what a hot take :facepalm:

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
tenor.gif

Holy crap what a hot take :facepalm:

I exclude anything before ‘95 because of the lack of comparability, and lower caliber of goaltending. I didn’t find any better 3 years stretch honestly regular season wise. Happy to admit I was wrong if you show me one.

.933 (1,96 GAA)
.934 (12 games only)

pretty awesome 200 games stretch right there at .928

Brodeur, Luongo, Lundqvist, Thomas, Rask, Holtby...they don’t have a better 200 game stretch using SV%. Thomas comes closest at .927.

Of course Brodeur and Luongo amongst other were more consistent over their career and better goalies.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I exclude anything before ‘95 because of the lack of comparability, and lower caliber of goaltending. I didn’t find any better 3 years stretch honestly regular season wise. Happy to admit I was wrong if you show me one.

.933 (1,96 GAA)
.934 (12 games only)

pretty awesome 200 games stretch right there at .928

Brodeur, Luongo, Lundqvist, Thomas, Rask, Holtby...they don’t have a better 200 game stretch using SV%. Thomas comes closest at .927.

Of course Brodeur and Luongo amongst other were more consistent over their career and better goalies.

Well for starters you said 2nd best ever..... and then proceeded to omit nearly 80 years of NHL history. :rolleyes: :facepalm:

SV% isn't the only metric to use by the way.

Overall, these are just as comparable -

Brodeur 2002-2007
Thomas 2007-2011
Luongo 2003-2008
Lundqvist 2010-2014
Kiprusoff 2003-2008

*1995-Present Only*

Reactions: Oddbob

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I mean...It's kind of an issue now.

I want Price gone, but even now it really isn't.

When your GM says number 1 centres don't get traded, but then they do. That's a problem.

When your GM refuses to spend what capspace he has, or make a trade for good players. That's a problem.

When your GM's plan is to hope Tavares goes to free agency and hopefully sign with you, but doesn't even meet with your team. That's a problem.

When your GM doesn't spend and hopes to get Duchene as a FA, but he choose another team. That's a problem.

When your GM gives a terrible offersheet. That's a problem.

When your team can't draft worth shit. That's a problem.

When your GM doesn't address team needs and rather trades your top prospect in a position of need for a position you're already fairly strong on. That's a problem.

And I could keep going.

Price's contract sucks, but it's not a problem right now. Maybe this off season, but right now it's not preventing them from doing anything they couldn't do otherwise.

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
Well for starters you said 2nd best ever..... and then proceeded to omit nearly 80 years of NHL history. :rolleyes: :facepalm:

SV% isn't the only metric to use by the way.

Overall, these are just as comparable -

Brodeur 2002-2007
Thomas 2007-2011
Luongo 2003-2008
Lundqvist 2010-2014
Kiprusoff 2003-2008

*1995-Present Only*

Goalies were not very good back then. People say it’s the most improved position in all sports in the last decades for a reason.

SV% is the more objective measure. Best stat to evaluate performance no doubt.

It’s a debatable take, but not as “hot” as you think. It’s not like I said he was the 2nd best ever.

May 2, 2005
Niagara Falls
While I don't think based on his NHL resume he should or would make the HOF - his international career is what will likely be the tipping aspect.

What I will say is that Price is the most excuse driven player I have ever heard fans of his rationalize for lack of playoff success, poor stats , inconsistent play etc .

I've heard fans say that for periods throughout the previous decade that he was playing behind an AHL roster which is just ludicrous because for most of the decade for most offensive and defensive statistics Montreal was a middle of the pack team on average. Yet people act like Montreal was averaging 40 shots against and getting no goal support.

I've heard that he has never had a capable defence corp infront of him. Once again they average pretty middling defense stats throughout the decade.

I've heard that stats don't matter or reveal the the truth for Price. This is absurd because no other player or goalie has ever gotten this type of rational to excuse poor play. They usually then insist something so vague like "you really just have to look at how calm and collected he is in the net".

It is nonsense to imply that even during his awful statistical seasons that he was actually a revelation overcoming the odds infront of a team so riddled with lack of everything that the only reason the team had any form of success was to him putting up middling to bad statistical outputs. The more reasonable assertion would be for periods this decade Price has ranged from the best goalie to top 5 to bottom 20.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Goalies were not very good back then. People say it’s the most improved position in all sports in the last decades for a reason.

It’s a debatable take, but not as “hot” as you think. It’s not like I said he was the 2nd best ever.
Some goalies still were very good and played up and beyond their competition, which is exactly how to judge them. You judge them by their comparable and SV% is far in away not an objective or best measure.

Sv% is varied and reliant on the era you are in for impact overall. Avgs change in a couple years, nowadays at leas the last 2/3 seasons Sv% Avg. is around .910 yet the 5 years ago early 2010s era it was higher up around .915 and it has been in different spots in eras. It's not great for that yet GSAA and some more metrics are better at comparing chances against and the impact or amount of saves made by how much a goalie faces and what they should of saved. Price didn't hit close to the peak of over great goalies.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

He won a single Vezina in that time frame and was nominated one other time. There are pleny of goalies who actually WON multiple during a 4 year stretch and were nominated more than twice.

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
Why is the HHOF much more strict for goalies than it is for skaters? Seems like a goalie has to have a cup win and be the top 3 at the position for a significant time to get in while skaters don't really need that. I don't see how Sundin is much more deserving of induction than Price.

hypereconomist

Mar 10, 2019
Why is the HHOF much more strict for goalies than it is for skaters? Seems like a goalie has to have a cup win and be the top 3 at the position for a significant time to get in while skaters don't really need that. I don't see how Sundin is much more deserving of induction than Price.

It makes sense to keep the criteria tight for goalies, as the talent pool is much, much smaller. In a 31 team league, there are 403+ forwards, 217+ defensemen, and 62+ goalies.

Last season there were 30 goalies that played more than half the games (35+ games) and this season there were only 28 goalies that played half the games (28+ games). Back when it was a 21 team league, there were only 15-20 goalies playing more than half the games in a season.

Objectively, it stands to reason that a very, very questionable HHOF forward induction like Andreychuk who was the 3rd best LW (AS voting) out of 160 LWs that played in the NHL in his best season is more impressive than being the third, fourth, or fifth best goalie out of 20-30 starting goalies in the league.

hypereconomist

Mar 10, 2019
If Price secures the Conn Smythe this year and can string together another Vezina-worthy season, he'll firmly be in Barrasso territory when it comes to the HHOF (i.e. should be inducted, but probably won't be)

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Well once Guy Carbonneau got in I pretty much assumed the requirements to be a hall of famer have become "have a pulse".

Not for goalies. Look how few have gotten in. Cujo and Osgood aren't in and they have over 300-400 wins in the NHL and Osgood has 3 Cups (2 as starter). For some reason they are super strict with goalies.

Reactions: Mount Suribachi

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

You don't have a clue what you are talking about. Goalies back then were way smaller and had way smaller equipment which also protected less than todays gear, meaning it hurt a lot more to play goal. They were also pretty athletic back then. The only thing better now is technique and coaching. Goalies back then also didn't have the cushy team defences of today.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
We've been seeing the beginning of the decline of a very good goalie in Carey Price for the last few years, but now we are truly seeing where this may end up going. It won't be pretty, but it typically isn't.

Price was touted as the perfect goalie prospect. And while he has had some highs, he clearly never reached the all time great status. He'll never be on a level with the best of this generation of goalies.

Goalies like Henrik Lundqvist, Marc-Andre Fleury, Tuukka Rask, and Pekka Rinna are the cream of the crop over the last 15 years. He's just never sustained the level of play long enough to be in this group.

He's beginning to be in a group with guys like Braden Holtby, Sergei Bobrovsky, and Jonathan Quick. Guys that had too short of a peak to be more than very good.

The one time you thought he would have his chance in 2014, and his own player went and took him out of the series, it was such a shame. He's never had a chance since then, and some of that lays at his own feet.

Maybe he can have another run in him, but this is looking more of the beginning of the end than a blip on the radar.

Carey says HI.

Reactions: Steeler23
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad