Carey Price is bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
He's been quite an injury prone goalie.

He had a great start to 08-09, and then bombed after a high ankle sprain. Then he went 3 seasons in a row where he couldn't even finish the season in 11-12, 12-13, and 13-14.

Since then, he's missed virtually an additional 2 full seasons with major knee issues.

He was a great goalie, but injuries have taken a toll, and they have finally caught up. That's not to say he can't be good, but his days of being at the very top are done IMO.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
He's been quite an injury prone goalie.

He had a great start to 08-09, and then bombed after a high ankle sprain. Then he went 3 seasons in a row where he couldn't even finish the season in 11-12, 12-13, and 13-14.

Since then, he's missed virtually an additional 2 full seasons with major knee issues.

He was a great goalie, but injuries have taken a toll, and they have finally caught up. That's not to say he can't be good, but his days of being at the very top are done IMO.

if we drafted kreider instead of leblanc, Price has 3 vezina and possibly a stanley cup!!

:sarcasm:

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I mean... he is, but you don't need to rub it in!

The cap space stuff would be relevant if the Habs had any use for that cap space at all. In my gut I know that 10.5m to a goalie who plays at most 70-80% of games is ridiculous but so far it hasn't impacted a thing on the Habs. Maybe if every Habs player turns out to be a stud (as many Habs fans like to imagine) and they all merit big raises it will turn out to be painful but by then we hope the cap will be higher.

The league is turning to be very top-heavy, and if young players and RFAs keep getting exploited then the Habs will have no choice but to trade away middle talents like Danault and Petry.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Hes won has last 4 starts

Looked damn good

vs Chicago Ott x 2 and Carolina. Okay.

Look he has been average to slightly below average all year. He hasn't been bad recently, but is that really the bar you want for a 10.5 million dollar goalie?

Fortunately Montreal has a ton of cap space so it doesn't really matter but it's not a good situation.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Hes won has last 4 starts

Looked damn good
He had a sub .900% in one of them and I think a .905 in another...not that good...

If we want to use wins as a metric then price has been middling at best through his career. The number of times he couldn't crack 20 or 25 wins is amazing when you consider how hyped he is.

When you look a his ability (or inability) to stay below a 2.5 GAA and when you look at his sv% it's similarly eye opening.

Guy couldn't stay healthy but for awhile, when he was healthy (and on his game), he was obviously a top G. They don't give you wins for all the games you miss though. They can't erase all the goals you let in during your down seasons either.

After dealing with some truly awful posts from habs fans in the "Is Price a HHOFer?" thread I'm loving this season. If he turns things around then it will be a microcosm of his career.

Good call to those select few. Real HOF stuff lol

Last edited:

Kunta Kinte

Nov 10, 2011
He had a sub .900% in one of them and I think a .905 in another...not that good...

If we want to use wins as a metric then price has been middling at best through his career. The number of times he couldn't crack 20 or 25 wins is amazing when you consider how hyped he is.

When you look a his ability (or inability) to stay below a 2.5 GAA and when you look at his sv% it's similarly eye opening.

Guy couldn't stay healthy but for awhile, when he was healthy (and on his game), he was obviously a top G. They don't give you wins for all the games you miss though. They can't erase all the goals you let in during your down seasons either.

After dealing with some truly awful posts from habs fans in the "Is Price a HHOFer?" thread I'm loving this season. If he turns things around then it will be a microcosm of his career.

He is a HOF Lock. I can bet with you any five figures you want on it.

danisonfire

2313 Saint Catherine
Jul 2, 2009

If price wins a Stanley Cup he would be a lock.

That being said he does have a gold medal from the Olympics (.972 save %), has won a WJC (mvp of tournament/best goalie, .961 save%), several NHL trophies with a few key ones and has collected 304 wins. If he could pass 551 wins and hit second on the all time list plus maybe add another few key trophies he would have a shot in a weaker year without a cup. He would have to at least play until 40 and I doubt he catches Martin Brodeur in wins.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Nah... he is bad... read the thread...1 good season only (thats the best one tp see who is really a dumbass).
Would you kindly put up his stats before dec 1?

Or do you only indulge in cherry picking a mo th of play and extrapolating that to a HOF career while ironically calling other people dumbasses?

Which, yes, saying he had 1 good season is dumb. But so is your comment

Last edited:

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
It's pretty crazy how Weber comes back and Price has looked like his old self ever since.
Nevermind the fact that even with Weber, the Habs have one of the worst defense in the league. Without Weber it was in fact the worst.

But eh, Price sucks and shouldn't be allowed in the NHL. He's an AHL goalie at best. He wouldn't hack it in the KHL. Hell, he probably wouldn't cut it in the SEL

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Wow, Price on a hot streak? Stop the presses. Niemi had a similarly hot streak just last season.

Still worth nowhere near what he's being paid.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
It's pretty crazy how Weber comes back and Price has looked like his old self ever since.
yeah who would have thought that having a less totally AHL level defense might help a goalie out ?

its stuff like this that the analytics nerds needs to let us know about !

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
Price has flashes of brilliance and looked great against the Bruins. The problem is that he has been extremely inconsistent the last few years. If he can finish the season strong and maybe have a good playoff run then the salary makes sense. Until then, in my opinion, he remains an extremely good goalie who is overpaid compared to his peers

Reactions: shinchanuuhh

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Nevermind the fact that even with Weber, the Habs have one of the worst defense in the league. Without Weber it was in fact the worst.

But eh, Price sucks and shouldn't be allowed in the NHL. He's an AHL goalie at best. He wouldn't hack it in the KHL. Hell, he probably wouldn't cut it in the SEL
When a goalie is paid 10.5 million a season and is put forward as "OMG BEST IN THE LEAGUE!" they don't get to use the "but they have a shitty defense" defense. You pay a goalie that much to cover for a shitty defense, not to be covered for their bad play by using shitty defense as an excuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad