Carey Price is bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Would you kindly put up his stats before dec 1?

Or do you only indulge in cherry picking a mo th of play and extrapolating that to a HOF career while ironically calling other people dumbasses?

Which, yes, saying he had 1 good season is dumb. But so is your comment

look at the defense he was playing behind

lolzner ( waived, and cleared)
ouellet ( waived, and cleared)
schlemko ( waived and cleared)
juulsen ( green, up and down)
mete ( green, up and down)
jordie freaking benn
reilley

then

jeff petry ( who through december was the ONLY NHL level D player on the team)

You know of another goalie that played behind a defense where more than half of them were waived, and cleared ? if so, please let me know. Some people worry about the second and third pairings, until weber came back we had NO NHL caliber defensive pairings.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Is his contract ridiculous yes, is he a bad goalie no. He looked phenomenal against the Avs, his positioning and movements are so dialed in and efficient. Id take him over a goalie who is always out of position having to make ridiculous athletic saves that should've been routine if the play was read correctly.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
He isn't the hat good that's for sure. He had 2-3 good years though. But he'd need an incredible back half of his career to make the Hall. He could do it

It depends on what your definition of "good years" is.

Below average .907 and lower- 2008-2009, 2012-2013 & 2017-2018
Average .908-.918 sv pct - 2009-2010, 2011-2012 & 2018-2019 (so far, but trending upwards)
Good: .919-.924 sv pct- 2007-2008, 2010-2011, 2016-2017
Very good: .925-.929 sv pct- 2013-2014
Excellent/Phenomenal: .930 and higher - 2014-2015 (Hart/Vezina) & 2015-2016 (only 12 games and got injured) 2

Looking at the seasons he's had, he's been kind of up & down, but injuries have played a major role in slowing him down. I would say he's had at least 5 good to excellent seasons. Keep in mind that Price has never played behind a true Stanley Cup contender. Most if not of the teams he's played on have been pretty much average (some a little above average and some terrible)

Even with the "terrible" year he had last year, he's still second in save percentage (for starters) since 2013-2014 behind John Gibson only at .921.

If we count the last 5 years he's 4th in sv pct among starters at .920.

I think if he continues on his pace since December, the haters will forget quickly. He'll obviously never be worth that contract though, and that's what people will remember.

Reactions: shinchanuuhh

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
look at the defense he was playing behind

lolzner ( waived, and cleared)
ouellet ( waived, and cleared)
schlemko ( waived and cleared)
juulsen ( green, up and down)
mete ( green, up and down)
jordie freaking benn
reilley

then

jeff petry ( who through december was the ONLY NHL level D player on the team)

You know of another goalie that played behind a defense where more than half of them were waived, and cleared ? if so, please let me know. Some people worry about the second and third pairings, until weber came back we had NO NHL caliber defensive pairings.

Yes I am aware his d was bad. I am also aware that he played a lot of bad hockey. I watched him do it and read the gdt's/pgt's where pretty much the entire habs fanbase knew and openly talked about it.

The "bad d" explanation only takes you so far before it becomes an excuse, especially when he seems to frequently perform mediocre-poorly for large swaths of his career. Right now, you've taken it well past the point of making excuses. He's a multi time all star, hes got a ton of talent. He's played at the highest level in a few best on best tournaments.

Hes also been poor, mediocre or hurt for close to the majority of his nhl career.

HHOFers lift bad teams more than Price. HHOFers get dragged down a helluva lot less

Last edited:

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Wow, Price on a hot streak? Stop the presses. Niemi had a similarly hot streak just last season.

Still worth nowhere near what he's being paid.

This is actually the level he's being paid to play at. As a top 3 goalie.

Last year was bad but he's been steadily improving from those lows with health problems. At the beginning of the season he was also behind a wreck of a D, but with Weber back could be said to be more middle of pack and suddenly his save % jumps 20 points...

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013

Average .908-.918 sv pct - 2009-2010, 2011-2012 & 2018-2019 (so far, but trending upwards)
Excellent/Phenomenal: .930 and higher - 2014-2015 (Hart/Vezina) & 2015-2016 (only 12 games and got injured) 2

Looking at the seasons he's had, he's been kind of up & down, but injuries have played a major role in slowing him down. I would say he's had at least 5 good to excellent seasons. Keep in mind that Price has never played behind a true Stanley Cup contender. Most if not of the teams he's played on have been pretty much average (some a little above average and some terrible)

Even with the "terrible" year he had last year, he's still second in save percentage (for starters) since 2013-2014 behind John Gibson only at .921.

If we count the last 5 years he's 4th in sv pct among starters at .920.

I think if he continues on his pace since December, the haters will forget quickly. He'll obviously never be worth that contract though, and that's what people will remember.

Great post. 6 mediocre or worse seasons.
5 good or better.

Multiple injuries that greatly impacted his career. Price is a top, but inconsistent talent who is not a HHOFer by any objective metric right now. But he's definitely capable of getting there in terms of his talent

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Yes I am aware his d was bad. I am also aware that he played a lot of bad hockey. I watched him do it and read the gdt's/pgt's where pretty much the entire habs fanbase knew and openly talked about it.

The "bad d" explanation only takes you so far before it becomes an excuse, especially when he seems to frequently perform mediocre-poorly for large swaths of his career. Right now, you've taken it well past the point of making excuses. He's a multi time all star, hes got a ton of talent. He's played at the highest level in a few best on best tournaments.

Hes been poor, mediocre or hurt for close to the majority of his nhl career.

HHOFers lift bad teams more than Price. HHOFers get dragged down a helluva lot less

so on high scoring chances, pucks that are 50/50, the rationale is that price should stop 100% of those. That he should, singleghandedly negate the craptastic defense we have. That they give up tons of odd mand rushes, fail to clear rebounds and if they score, its the goalies fault ?

our defense prior to december wasn't " bad" it was amongst one of the leagues worst. We are still ( knock one wood) one injury away from it returning to that bad.

Behind a good defense he would be among the best goalies in the league. How do I know this ? because behind a defense of weber/petry and chaff he's top three.

montreal's historic inability to score meant that he had to be perfect to win. Last year the habs routiniely let in 2 goals and lost because we couldn't score. This year, out PP is the worst in the league.
When you have a craptastic D and you give the goalie no goal support, whining about how HE'S letting the team down is heeeee-freaking-larious

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

Yup. And one of his below-average year happened when he was 21, and only two other netminders were starting (or in 1A/1B duties) at that age : none of them (for the record, those two netminders are Steve Mason and MAF) actually had a better season than Carey Price : MAF was more or less equal and; Mason was somewhat (but clearly) worse; all three were above replacement value though, so it's not like their season are absolute negative.

TL;DR : Holding the 08-09 season against Price is ill-advised at best and stupid at worst, considering the players he's being compared to were not in the NHL at that age.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
With the new era of scoring, I thought Carey lost his game. Looks like he has found it back

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
This hasn't aged well...
Better than that contract will

200.webp

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
so on high scoring chances, pucks that are 50/50, the rationale is that price should stop 100% of those. That he should, singleghandedly negate the craptastic defense we have. That they give up tons of odd mand rushes, fail to clear rebounds and if they score, its the goalies fault ?
Is this a joke? Re read what I actually wrote (bc it wasnt whatever garbage you just threw at me) and respond to it

We arent talking about him being an all star. We arent talking about him being good.

You want to make a case for him to be a HHOFer. You dont get in by having half of your career be mediocre or worse while winning zero cups. If there are Gs who made it in under those circumstances I'd love to see them

I dont mean that sarcastically. I'd legit love to see it bc at least it'd make for a valid argument/good point.

If he plays at a top level for another 3 years then I could see him getting in, cup or no

Last edited:

Vern

Dec 9, 2013
with one top 4 D on the team he sucks. with two he's pretty good.

With three, like when Petry was added to Subban and Markov, he's winning Vezina's and Hart's... if he's not injured.

on Nashville or Tampa he'd probably have GOAT stats.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I think with Price, it will be easier to judge his career as a whole when he retires rather than individual seasons as he has been somewhat injury plagued and in my opinion, a little fragile between the ears (for the Montreal market). At the same time, we can't forget that this is a guy that's been a full time NHL goalie since the age of twenty in arguably the toughest market in the NHL He's basically grown up in front of Montrealers. It seems like he's already had a full career as we've been watching him for 12 seasons already. Every little thing that he does (and has done) gets analyzed under a magnifying glass and judged. It takes a tough personality to be able to deal with that. At times, he's let it get to him and it has affected his play.

Price is a tremendous talent as he has all the tools to dominate on a regular basis. He obviously has never played behind a top tier defense like some other goalies, but any time he's represented Canada on the international stage (behind good teams), he's been elite.

When all is said and done, the next 5 years will probably define how people will view him at the end of his career. He will likely challenge/ surpass Jacques Plante's record of 437 wins for the Montreal Canadiens. With his career so far, he certainly has the potential to one day be a Hall of Famer, but he needs to stay healthy, be consistent, rack up the wins and potentially win another Vezina (or win a Stanley Cup) to have a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad