Carey Price is bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
He’s total shell of his former self. Just an average goalie at this point . Blame it on the injuries. Truly elite goalies like Lundqvist post .920 save % even with a terrible team in front of him

Lundqvist actually never did such a thing for a season.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Discuss.

In a season where goalies have a average sv% lower than what it usually is, Price is still well below that mark.

I figured at the time MTL would regret that contract, but his decline has been steeper than even I thought

The Price is WRONG.png

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Lundqvist actually never did such a thing for a season.
Except all the years he did? Unless you're talking about maintaining that all season and not final numbers.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Except all the years he did? Unless you're talking about maintaining that all season and not final numbers.

I'm talking about the Rangers never having a terrible team before last season (since Lundqvist's debut).

If you think the Rangers were, at any point before 2017-18, a "terrible" team, then the meaning of "terrible" have changed and someone should advise Merriam-Webster ASAP.

Anyways, that's neither here or there. Price is far from playing great hockey since the beginning of the season, but he's definitely not as terrible as .898 SV% would suggest. And it happens that he's actually posting better numbers since Claude Julien isn't stuck playing a Jamie Benn - Jeff Petry 1st pairing for 23 minutes a game (nothing against Petry, but if he's to play 23 minutes a game, he really can't do so with someone like Jamie Benn or Brett Kulak or David Schlemko).

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
If his name wasn't Carey Price, if he never won a vezina, and he wasn't being paid 10+ million dollars, he would be riding a bus to the minors by now

They can't do that because it would be too embarrassing for both him and the organization, so they are stuck with him as a starter regardless of how bad he plays

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Discuss.

In a season where goalies have a average sv% lower than what it usually is, Price is still well below that mark.

I figured at the time MTL would regret that contract, but his decline has been steeper than even I thought
Yet Canadian media still spreads the cheeks anytime he's mentioned and act like he's routinely out there stealing games. He hasn't been an elite goalie for a few years now.

Reactions: Caroline Says ll

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Yet Canadian media still spreads the cheeks anytime he's mentioned and act like he's routinely out there stealing games. He hasn't been an elite goalie for a few years now.

Actually, since (and including) last season.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Put Price on a team with an actual defense group and he’s the best goalie in the league unquestionably. Our defense is putrid and he bails them more than he should need to. He’s singlehandedly the reason why the Habs aren’t in the basement and why they haven’t missed the playoffs a few seasons.

Is he worth that contract? No, but it’s not killing us. We still have plenty of cap space, and with the cap growing every season, it’s not going to be too big of an issue. Most of these “Price is ****” or “Good luck with that contract m8” comments are from people who don’t watch the Habs and look at basic stats.

Since the start of last season, the Habs are top 10 in scoring chances against.

The whole "the Habs don't play NHL defense" narrative is just Price tire-pumping.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
The Hawk could take him in exchange for Crawford (Montreal kid) and some sweeteners. What do you offer?

Chicago ain't winning anyway, and they need some chips.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
Price is being exposed this season (and last season) for what he really is, an average NHL goalie

He had one good season, where his team and defense made him look better then he really is,

He has done zero in the playoffs when things matter,

I wish we traded him in the summer of 2015

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Since the start of last season, the Habs are top 10 in scoring chances against.

The whole "the Habs don't play NHL defense" narrative is just Price tire-pumping.
All of this prayers up! Look, I get some people love Price and why many more have bought into this narrative that he's the best goalie in the league by default, but he just isn't now and there's been many years prior where he hasn't been either. The excuses made for Carey Price are pretty incredible.

I don't know any elite goalie that has lost their job to backups and been the best version of the team like in 2010. He's oft injured, seems kind of temperamental and I've just never gotten the hype.

Reactions: Machinehead

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Price is being exposed this season (and last season) for what he really is, an average NHL goalie

He had one good season, where his team and defense made him look better then he really is,

He has done zero in the playoffs when things matter,

I wish we traded him in the summer of 2015

RIP your credibility.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
All of this prayers up! Look, I get some people love Price and why many more have bought into this narrative that he's the best goalie in the league by default, but he just isn't now and there's been many years prior where he hasn't been either. The excuses made for Carey Price are pretty incredible.

I don't know any elite goalie that has lost their job to backups and been the best version of the team like in 2010. He's oft injured, seems kind of temperamental and I've just never gotten the hype.

Ehh, Price did lose his starting job to Halak in 2010, but...

- He mostly played great between 2010-11 and 2016-17
- He was still very young then. Like Rinne and Lundqvist couldn't have lost their starting job at the age Carey Price did (in 2010), because they hadn't even started their careers yet.

Carey Price is, well, quite underwhelming this season. And last season. Whoever calls him the best NHL netminder is out to lunch, and probably a bit drunk too. That's obvious to any observer who has remotely a clue about what he's watching. But other than a few games, he hasn't been completely awful either. But blaming him for losing his starting job at an age where there aren't many goalies with a job in the first place is disingenuous.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Put Price on a team with an actual defense group and he’s the best goalie in the league unquestionably. Our defense is putrid and he bails them more than he should need to. He’s singlehandedly the reason why the Habs aren’t in the basement and why they haven’t missed the playoffs a few seasons.

Is he worth that contract? No, but it’s not killing us. We still have plenty of cap space, and with the cap growing every season, it’s not going to be too big of an issue. Most of these “Price is ****” or “Good luck with that contract m8” comments are from people who don’t watch the Habs and look at basic stats.

This is a dumb comment. Why you decided this was a good idea to post is beyond logic. Leave players personal lives alone. It’s not your business.

I don't know that this would be true, especially unquestionably. Price would definitely have better numbers, and I'd even say most likely be looked at as a top goalie currently in the NH. You wouldn't be seeing all these HF post about Price being done, but best in the league, unquestionably? I wouldn't be comfortable saying that anymore.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I'm talking about the Rangers never having a terrible team before last season (since Lundqvist's debut).

If you think the Rangers were, at any point before 2017-18, a "terrible" team, then the meaning of "terrible" have changed and someone should advise Merriam-Webster ASAP.

Anyways, that's neither here or there. Price is far from playing great hockey since the beginning of the season, but he's definitely not as terrible as .898 SV% would suggest. And it happens that he's actually posting better numbers since Claude Julien isn't stuck playing a Jamie Benn - Jeff Petry 1st pairing for 23 minutes a game (nothing against Petry, but if he's to play 23 minutes a game, he really can't do so with someone like Jamie Benn or Brett Kulak or David Schlemko).

Majority of those years have been terrible teams. Maybe on paper they look better, but those teams were not performing anywhere near what on paper should suggest.

2006 defense
Sandis Ozolinsh (21 Games), Darius Kasparaitis (24 Games - last year in the NHL because he sucked), Dan Girardi - first year (34 games), Tom Poeck (44 Games), Aaron Ward (60 Games), Fedor Tyutin (66 Games. 2 full season), Marek Malik (69 Games), Michael Rozsival (80 Games), Karel Rachunek (66 Games), Paul Mara (19 Games)

Now Lundqvist only put up .922 and .917 those years first 2 years, but the defense was arguably worse in 2005-2006. And it took a long time before we got better.

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Majority of those years have been terrible teams. Maybe on paper they look better, but those teams were not performing anywhere near what on paper should suggest.

2006 defense
Sandis Ozolinsh (21 Games), Darius Kasparaitis (24 Games - last year in the NHL because he sucked), Dan Girardi - first year (34 games), Tom Poeck (44 Games), Aaron Ward (60 Games), Fedor Tyutin (66 Games. 2 full season), Marek Malik (69 Games), Michael Rozsival (80 Games), Karel Rachunek (66 Games), Paul Mara (19 Games)

No, they weren't terrible.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
No, they weren't terrible.
So what makes you say that? Is it because they had 1 good scoring line in the mid-2000's? Is it because Rangers eventually got Marc Staal and Girardi playing a really good shutdown role, then McDonagh emerged? Or is it because Rangers weren't considered a lottery team based on points finished? Is it the wording "terrible" where bad would be more preferred?

From 2005/2006 - 2010-2011, NYR are 29th in the league for goals against. #30 - NJD. This team was bailed out by Lundqvist game after game. The defense we had during that period was not good enough to suggest they were a large part of the reason our goals against was that good. We ranked 22nd during that same time in goals scored. If you go 1 year further to 2011-2012, NJD and NYR are flipped for goals against.

Maybe NYR wasn't a bottom 3 team, but the reason we didn't finish close to the bottom is because of Lundqvist. This isn't about Lundqvist vs Price - just that Lundqvist absolutely carried bad teams with a .920 save %.

Last edited:

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
He has like a 3.10 GAA and .895 SV% or whatever it is in his last 70 games going back to last season. Saying he’s bad is an understatement at this point and I say that as someone who’s always supported him.

Has our defense been bad? Yes, but when you pay a goalie that much you expect him to be able to bail them out somewhat with respectable numbers at the very least.
Exactly, look at Lundqvist (someone a lot of people thought Price was going to end up having a better career than) he’s doing much better on a much, much worse defense at a significantly older age. Price just isn’t good and is overrated because of that insane ~2 year peak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad