Carey Price is bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
I've been saying this for years.

He's probably even worse than my weak goal count, as a lot of pucks should just be hitting this guy due to his massive girth and equipment. So goals that don't really look stoppable on him are probably shots that hit other similarly structured goalies like Ben Bishop.

I think he's a ghost. It feels as if pucks go through him.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The Habs are 3oth in the league in giving up high danger chances...haters gonna hate..............he is not playing nearly as bad as people think...watch the games...
That contract though....the result of a clown GM who is in over his head.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
Thinking about a team and not a goalie... would about 3 GAA seem “out there” for a team you know is putrid defensively?

I don’t doubt Price had been playing bad, but goalies stats are team stats more than any other position
Sub .900 definitely looks bad but I don’t know enough about hockey how to analyze that and 3GAA together on a really bad defensive team.

If they’re allowing opponents to consistently own the net-front and walk into the slot, and or allowing opponents much zone time and generally losing small puck battles I can imagine that majorly affecting a goalies stats
Can't like this post enough for just a like button. That is 100% true. Price has been very good this season and starting to look like himself time to time. It's the overall team defence that has been absolutely terrible. The d-core is filled with waiver-wire-caliber 7th defencemen playing 20mins per game, so naturally the goalies stats are doomed to fail.

EDIT: The contract is still terrible, but we know that.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I've got to remember to link to that hilarious thread where a few desperate Habs fans wanted to offer some of the more insipid arguments I've ever seen in favor of Price being in the HHOF

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
It’s like the pressur eof his contract has shook him. He needs to see a sports phsycologist and find a way to get focused again

No.

He's got knee issues. I think he had some groin injury as well. Those types of injuries lead to quick, irreversible declines for big goalies.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Is it the worst contract in the entire cap era (assuming he doesn't improve)?

• 8 year contract
  • In year 1, he's tied for 3rd highest caphit in the entire league
  • In year 1, he's in the running for worst starting goalie in the NHL
  • Goalies, unlike forwards/defencemen, are only valuable (i.e. worth more than a ~2M caphit) if they're a #1G. A #1C can still slowly shift to a #2C then #3C as they decline, and still retain at least fairly decent value. Goalies can't really play a depth role. They're either starting or they're not.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Don't ever give big term and cap to any goalie past their mid 20s, and never pay any goalie anything north of $7.5-8m. You can thank me later.

I mean.

I feel that outside of 1 man, anybody who has ever watched a hockey game knows these things.

I agree but there are exceptions. It worked very well for the Rangers. Hank has been great and still is a very good goalie.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Can't like this post enough for just a like button. That is 100% true. Price has been very good this season and starting to look like himself time to time. It's the overall team defence that has been absolutely terrible. The d-core is filled with waiver-wire-caliber 7th defencemen playing 20mins per game, so naturally the goalies stats are doomed to fail.

EDIT: The contract is still terrible, but we know that.
Yeah, but the Habs Defense used to be putrid as well and Price would carry the team to the playoffs anyway or at least play great and have great stats.

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014

• 8 year contract
  • Goalies, unlike forwards/defencemen, are only valuable (i.e. worth more than a ~2M caphit) if they're a #1G. A #1C can still slowly shift to a #2C then #3C as they decline, and still retain at least fairly decent value. Goalies can't really play a depth role. They're either starting or they're not.

He could drastically improve to “average”, and the contract would still be awful. I still don’t think the Rangers should have signed Lundqvist to his contract, but at least he had a large sample size of being an elite goalie. Price had a good season, a fantastic season, and then got paid like he’s been elite for a decade.

His defense isn’t great. He is far from the only goalie dealing with this issue.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

• 8 year contract

to make it even worse, he is 31 in the 1st year of the deal.

So they are paying an overrated goalie $10m a year from ages 31-39

Reactions: amethyst
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad