Carey Price is bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
The problem has not all been Carey Price. The problem is the defence or lack their of.

Weber just came back but was off for a whole year. These are the degencemen Price had playing in front of him;

Petry, Juulsen, Reilly, Mete, Benn, Schlemko, Ouellet, Alzner, Kulak

No goalie in the NHL would be capable of posting good numbers with that defence group.

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
Anyone judging a goalie based on his stats does not know anything about goaltending. The eye test is the only true test for a goalie's performance, and he's doing fine. He's not playing out of this world, or as godly as his Vezina season, but he's not playing badly.

This is the best post in this thread. Price is the least of the Habs worries. Get a good left sided defense in front of him and things will change fast. Worst contract of the league, yeah yeah habs still have 8M in cap space, he could be paid 18M it would not change anything this season and when it will mater, the cap will be 90M and all will be manageable

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

CMDEADLY

Jun 6, 2014
Can we go back like two years to all the Price threads about how he's the best goalie of all time and point and laugh?

Reactions: Galactico

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Discuss.

In a season where goalies have a average sv% lower than what it usually is, Price is still well below that mark.

I figured at the time MTL would regret that contract, but his decline has been steeper than even I thought
The Habs have been a basement team for years that manages to make the playoffs almost every year anyway solely because of Carey Price. If his sv% is down its just because he's facing even more quality chances than normal because the rest of the team is that much worse.

Seriously, trade him away and watch what happens to the team's win%.

Reactions: MasterMatt25

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
For those who don't know, I've reviewed every goal scored on every goalie this year so far as part of a project to see if the guys with poor save percentages also play as poorly on my eye test. There's been some exceptions, mostly backups or guys with limited games, but the numbers are really starting to take shape right now. For example, I had Bobrovsky at a pretty high count for his save percentage being above average. I only counted 2 goals that I considered stoppable on the 8 he allowed tonight. So he didn't play as poorly tonight as the goals against said, but that game did knock his season save percentage down to probably where it should be right now. There was a game last week where Bobrovsky allowed just 2 goals and both were poor. Holtby also had a very high count, but it wasn't going up much in the last several weeks, since his save percentage had risen. In the game where the Ducks blew him up for 6 goals, I only counted 1 that I'd consider stoppable, but it brought his numbers down to where they probably should be.

As far as Price goes, the stoppable goal percentage by my count hasn't been as high as guys like Mike Smith, Jake Allen, Jacob Markstrom, Cam Talbot, or probably even Craig Anderson, but it's still probably higher than it was in those years where he was good. This is my first year of doing this for every goalie around the league, but when I saw him play last year, there were quite a few games where I was thinking ''Price looks like trash in this game''. So, I'm not sure if he's legit on the decline like Cory Schneider definitely is or if he's having a couple of those seasons like Rinne had after the lockout, where he'll eventually come back to form or if he just needs a change of scenery after this way too fat of a contract.

A couple of the goals the other night against the Sharks were not good. The Justin Braun goal was abysmal. I would have counted that against any goalie and from any shooter, but the fact that it was Justin Braun and not Al MacInnis is what made it really pathetic. I gave him off on that Burns goal also, because he didn't look like he made much of an attempt to look for that one. He looked very complacent on that one. I didn't slash him on either of the Sens goals last night, for what it's worth.

He's played a little better on the eye test recently, because I haven't added many goals to his count the last couple weeks, aside from the Sharks game. He had an abysmal stretch in between though, where they were adding up real fast, after having what I thought was a pretty solid first month of the season.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
You think the owners would allow it, when they still has to pay almost his entire contract? His contract is buy-out proof.
I don't think it's buy-out proof.

If Rick DiPietro can be bought out like 6 years into his 15 year contract, Price can be bought out 2-3 years into his 8 year contract. I say 2-3 years because I don't see him getting bought out until an amnesty buyout happens, which every team will almost assuredly get one, if not two of them when the CBA expires in 2-3 more years.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
For those who don't know, I've reviewed every goal scored on every goalie this year so far as part of a project to see if the guys with poor save percentages also play as poorly on my eye test. There's been some exceptions, mostly backups or guys with limited games, but the numbers are really starting to take shape right now. For example, I had Bobrovsky at a pretty high count for his save percentage being above average. I only counted 2 goals that I considered stoppable on the 8 he allowed tonight. So he didn't play as poorly tonight as the goals against said, but that game did knock his season save percentage down to probably where it should be right now. There was a game last week where Bobrovsky allowed just 2 goals and both were poor. Holtby also had a very high count, but it wasn't going up much in the last several weeks, since his save percentage had risen. In the game where the Ducks blew him up for 6 goals, I only counted 1 that I'd consider stoppable, but it brought his numbers down to where they probably should be.

As far as Price goes, the stoppable goal percentage by my count hasn't been as high as guys like Mike Smith, Jake Allen, Jacob Markstrom, Cam Talbot, or probably even Craig Anderson, but it's still probably higher than it was in those years where he was good. This is my first year of doing this for every goalie around the league, but when I saw him play last year, there were quite a few games where I was thinking ''Price looks like trash in this game''. So, I'm not sure if he's legit on the decline like Cory Schneider definitely is or if he's having a couple of those seasons like Rinne had after the lockout, where he'll eventually come back to form or if he just needs a change of scenery after this way too fat of a contract.

A couple of the goals the other night against the Sharks were not good. The Justin Braun goal was abysmal. I would have counted that against any goalie and from any shooter, but the fact that it was Justin Braun and not Al MacInnis is what made it really pathetic. I gave him off on that Burns goal also, because he didn't look like he made much of an attempt to look for that one. He looked very complacent on that one. I didn't slash him on either of the Sens goals last night, for what it's worth.

He's played a little better on the eye test recently, because I haven't added many goals to his count the last couple weeks, aside from the Sharks game. He had an abysmal stretch in between though, where they were adding up real fast, after having what I thought was a pretty solid first month of the season.

Okay. He's really bad, then.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm kind of loving this, even though I actually like Price. There's a guy at work that's been on me about how much better he thinks Price is than Lundqvist. He's been a bit quiet this year! :D

I do hope that Price figures it out though, he seems like a good guy and I can't imagine he's feeling good about this.
I never considered Price better than Lundqvist, as far as overall goalie rankings go for more than probably the 2 years before this. I had Price over Lundqvist coming into this year, because I think Price should have been afforded one bad, isolated season, with how good he'd been for the few years before that. And Lundqvist also looked like he was declining a bit. And Lundqvist probably is declining, but it's a very modest decline. What happened to Price, barring a turnaround this year, looks like more than a decline. It looks like he went from possibly the best goalie in the league to being very washed up in one year. I feel the same about Cory Schneider the last 2+ years and Holtby looks like he might be on his second straight poor season, although not to the level of Price.

Price was never on Lundqvist's level as far as all-time goes. Not even close. I really think out of that generation, only Lundqvist and Luongo are locks for the HOF and I'm almost skeptical Luongo will be in sometimes, even though I think he should be. At the very least, I could see him having to wait 2-3 years of eligibility before getting. I don't see any other goalie of the era getting, outside of Fleury who has a chance. I don't even think Corey Crawford will make the HOF. Quick has an outside chance if he stays healthy and wins over 400 games, which will be the most winngest American born goalie of all time. He already owns the shutout record among US born goalies, as well as two cups as a starter and a Conn Smythe, If he stays healthy and the Kings aren't as bad this year in the coming years, he has a better shot than Price. As of right now that is, Price could get back in the conversation if he resurrects his career as being dominant.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm kind of loving this, even though I actually like Price. There's a guy at work that's been on me about how much better he thinks Price is than Lundqvist. He's been a bit quiet this year! :D

I do hope that Price figures it out though, he seems like a good guy and I can't imagine he's feeling good about this.
I never considered Price better than Lundqvist, as far as overall goalie rankings go for more than probably the 2 years before this. I had Price over Lundqvist coming into this year, because I think Price should have been afforded one bad, isolated season, with how good he'd been for the few years before that. And Lundqvist also looked like he was declining a bit. And Lundqvist probably is declining, but it's a very modest decline. What happened to Price, barring a turnaround this year, looks like more than a decline. It looks like he went from possibly the best goalie in the league to being very washed up in one year. I feel the same about Cory Schneider the last 2+ years and Holtby looks like he might be on his second straight poor season, although not to the level of Price.

Price was never on Lundqvist's level as far as all-time goes. Not even close. I really think out of that generation, only Lundqvist and Luongo are locks for the HOF and I'm almost skeptical Luongo will be in sometimes, even though I think he should be. At the very least, I could see him having to wait 2-3 years of eligibility before getting. I don't see any other goalie of the era getting, outside of Fleury who has a chance. I don't even think Corey Crawford will make the HOF.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Okay. He's really bad, then.
Markstrom has been pretty poor this year. Probably about 30% of the goals he allows or a little more.

Allen and Smith are well into the 30's, as far as percentage goes. Not 30+ stoppable goals yet. A couple other guys are too, but they also haven't played an adequate amount of games yet.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Can we go back like two years to all the Price threads about how he's the best goalie of all time and point and laugh?
Can you show me one thread or yet one post where that claim is made or are you making up your usual BS.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
he went from:

Jesus Christ to Best Goalie in the World to Best Goalie in the NHL to Best Goalie in the NHL with a ton of objectivity to Best Goalie in the World backed with references from the past to Goalie to Backup Goalie to Jesus again; but this time nailed to a cross
Look this thread is about Price not Quick.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Markstrom has been pretty poor this year. Probably about 30% of the goals he allows or a little more.

Allen and Smith are well into the 30's, as far as percentage goes. Not 30+ stoppable goals yet. A couple other guys are too, but they also haven't played an adequate amount of games yet.

Markstrom is a pile of jack dung.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Markstrom is a pile of jack dung.
I've been saying this for years.

He's probably even worse than my weak goal count, as a lot of pucks should just be hitting this guy due to his massive girth and equipment. So goals that don't really look stoppable on him are probably shots that hit other similarly structured goalies like Ben Bishop.

paragon

May 5, 2010
I don't think it's buy-out proof.

If Rick DiPietro can be bought out like 6 years into his 15 year contract, Price can be bought out 2-3 years into his 8 year contract. I say 2-3 years because I don't see him getting bought out until an amnesty buyout happens, which every team will almost assuredly get one, if not two of them when the CBA expires in 2-3 more years.
When Islanders bought out DiPietro's last 36M, they actually saved 12 million. That hurt, but it was still only 24M. If Price is bought next summer Montreal still has to pay him 65M out of the remaining 69M. They would save a whopping 4M. I don't know how many owners are willing to throw away 65M. Would be cheaper to get him Hossa's doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille