Player Discussion Carey Price - Covid Playoff Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I was funny last night the debate at AC Carbonneau saying "yes goaltending is huge pressure in mtl but he got the contract for the job until he is 38. If you can't do the job, become a gardiner." ( si té pas capabe de faire la job, deviens un jardinier!) lol, that was funny to hear.
Now bergy surrounded him with better team and he just have to stop the pucks like he used to do. If he doesn't do the job, place Allen until CP rebecome good. Mtl will not spoil a season because of him.

That's a sort of resumé of what they said last night.

BushFireRecordsRedux

I'm a Dapper Dan man
Sep 10, 2018
Hasek’s heyday was played in the clutch & grab era w a red line in place and no one piece rocket launchers

League average SV% was *much* higher during Price's era than Hasek's. What Hasek did is basically impossible to replicate now, you'd need like a f***ing .950 SV% to beat league average SV% by as much as Hasek was every year. He was like Babe Ruth hitting more home runs than entire teams lol.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Always ready to apologize for Price. Hes the one making this team bad with his mood swing and bad vibes. The team is competing big times with Allen in the net

BTW LG I admire your loyalty and your determination to defend Price no matters how bad he suck. Its truly amazing. Anyone would love to have a personal cheerleader pumping his tire even on bad days
Me: "Price has been bad this season..."

You: 'Always ready to apologize for Price...'

Okay...

Saying the team is playing like crap is not an apology for Price. He's played poorly this year. Period. But that doesn't mean we aren't playing like crap as well. I've defended him in the past but not this season.

The gameplan over the years has been to over-rely on goaltending to win. That's not a recipe for success. It wasn't in the past and it won't be going forward. And people who frame it as though we have to choose goaltending instead of team play are creating a false choice. It's not one or the other... it's both. When you have both, you're far more likely to win. And right now, we're not doing anything well. That's not an apology for any player, it's my assessment of the team.

Take Price out of this debate altogether. Say Allen becomes the starter for the rest of the year... we shouldn't rely on him to steal games every night. But that's been our M.O forever now. It might work for while but over time we'll get killed.

Last edited:

Habano

Allez les Bleus, (Blancs, Rouges)
May 18, 2012
Scratch him rest of the season and he will be happy to waive to go to Seattle and be closer to home and actually get to play. Francis gets a name to market same as Knights did with MAF

I agree with you and I suggested that in one of the threads. My concern is, how much salary we will have to retain and more importantly, what kind of picks we will have to give up to get rid of this disaster of a contract. I guess at this point it doesn't really matter. Just send him packing already.

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
Man I still believe that this duo of 1A 1B right now isn't ideal for Carey at all. I just cant wrap my head around a goalie that is used to 85% starts is having the breaks in his schedule the way he is now. I heard it in one of the games that it was discussed with him and he likes this set up.

Still doesn't make sense to me for an individual with that many years of receptive experience to have this new approach. I really am hoping this is all in consideration for the playoffs and the last ten games where we ride with Price and get him in rhythm and he's back on .

Assuming we makes playoffs lol

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
Bergevin can’t give up on Price yet, but to maximize playoff chances, it’s gotta be 50/50 Allen/Price from now on or even 60/40. I’m sure Pricer can acknowledge his bad play and be a good team player by accepting reduced ice time until he puts he 3-4 straight decent performances.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Sure. And we can hope that he goes back to form or that Allen steals us games.

But we're still playing like crap.
Habs did not play like crap last night. First of all the D in front of Allen didn't commit those ugly braincramps last night.
Hellbuck was a solid goalie on the other side.
The first star last night was obviously that white Rogue who took the most exposure over the players, both teams combined. PLD is a hell of a good player.
Habs are improving in many aspects of the game, they kept the game close until Petry got his penalty and Evans lost clearly a face off. A straight pass the the shooter.

Allen did the job in my book.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
He lost his 2 dogs. He's done.
He got them back but he's still on the trauma of losing his two dogs.
One goal he allowed that has been under the radar is when Beagle scored the second goal in the 6-2 win over Vancouver. His name is Beagle = dog. The slump of Price happened just after that game.
That's the new theory that is running these days.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
He got them back but he's still on the trauma of losing his two dogs.
One goal he allowed that has been under the radar is when Beagle scored the second goal in the 6-2 win over Vancouver. His name is Beagle = dog. The slump of Price happened just after that game.
That's the new theory that is running these days.

His dogs are dead. They had to kill them both.

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
price_OHhCpVc.jpg

Reactions: TheRealPrice

rielledup

Sep 17, 2015
I’m not debating his “hof” credentials. Whether he has enough to get in is immaterial to the discussion about his recent season(s) performance. I actually think outside of one year’s performance his dominance is overstated. In that year he has 2 number 1 caliber dmen and he hasn’t repeated before or after. He likely does get in, but I don’t care about that. For the last 2-3 years he’s been completely underwhelming, I know many defenders cling to the past, but it’s 2021 now and things aren’t what they used to be.

I value your objective analysis over many posters on this board, but I feel you are stuck in past years here. He’s not that guy anymore. He can give you stretches like that, but you’re grasping at straws to suggest he can still do that on a routine basis. Other goalies do more with less imo, but we still coddle him like he’s a 20 year old taking over the reigns. He needs to be better and even he knows it. Stop trying to window dress his shitty play.

I think people who don't think Price has declined are delusional but the people who make the claim that he had one great year and was never that good are equally ridiculous. The season before he won the Hart Trophy he had a 2.32 gaa and a 927 save %. He also had two great seasons after he won the Hart trophy albeit one was short due to injury.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Habs did not play like crap last night. First of all the D in front of Allen didn't commit those ugly braincramps last night.
Hellbuck was a solid goalie on the other side.
The first star last night was obviously that white Rogue who took the most exposure over the players, both teams combined. PLD is a hell of a good player.
Habs are improving in many aspects of the game, they kept the game close until Petry got his penalty and Evans lost clearly a face off. A straight pass the the shooter.

Allen did the job in my book.
You're quoting a post from a few days ago.

As for last night... honestly it was a pretty boring game. I was half paying attention to it.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I saw this on LJM... ouch. And good on them for calling him out. Price has been a primadonna for a few years now. No accountability.
No accountability has run ramapant for years in Montreal, first with Molson and tjen Bergevin. Years between then, and now Price is having a rough patch and this crap show up? LOL
The Habs are a joke from the TOP down, since the sale of the team to Money Mol$on, so if you want to talk accountability please start with the right people.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I saw this on LJM... ouch. And good on them for calling him out. Price has been a primadonna for a few years now. No accountability.
This is just such a garbagy post. Primadonna? Right... this from the same guy who says he has no fire and doesn't care.

He can and should be held accountable for his play but he's been mostly bland in what he says if he says anything at all.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I think people who don't think Price has declined are delusional but the people who make the claim that he had one great year and was never that good are equally ridiculous. The season before he won the Hart Trophy he had a 2.32 gaa and a 927 save %. He also had two great seasons after he won the Hart trophy albeit one was short due to injury.
I don't think he has. The moment we put him behind AHL D his numbers crashed. To me that's not indicative of a decline, it's indicative of us having a crappy team and leaving him to fend for himself.

That being said, no accounting for what happened this year. This year is really on him. Yeah, we've given up way too many chances lately but even at the start of the year there were too many soft goals. Maybe it's his decline kicking in and maybe he's toast, but he's played as well as any goalie could behind bad teams for a while now and was brilliant in the playoffs. I don't think it's a decline but...

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
I don't think he has. The moment we put him behind AHL D his numbers crashed. To me that's not indicative of a decline, it's indicative of us having a crappy team and leaving him to fend for himself.

That being said, no accounting for what happened this year. This year is really on him. Yeah, we've given up way too many chances lately but even at the start of the year there were too many soft goals. Maybe it's his decline kicking in and maybe he's toast, but he's played as well as any goalie could behind bad teams for a while now and was brilliant in the playoffs. I don't think it's a decline but...

I dont understand this line of defense. They are goalies posting way better stats than Price playing behind equally or worst defense squad. Is Price making a difference or not? If the team is bad , Price is bad. If the team is good , Price is good. Then why the hell we pay him that kind of money if he makes no difference at all

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad