Player Discussion Carey Price - Covid Playoff Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Habs will not become a playoff team with a goalie who has clearly declined. Carey Price has built himself a nice career but his struggles are not recent...he has been below average for over 3 years
Agreed Price is not at all performing but he hasn’t declined, his reflexes are fine. Not sure what’s wrong in his head / confidence..

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
i have zero compassion for Price right now. I'm sorry. I don't blame him for his contract or for not taking a discount, i blame him for extraordinarily poor play and coming off as a basket case. No team survives that save % and he's not playing like an elite talent. it's so f***ing frustrating. he's playing a kid's sport and making millions and he needs perspective by taking time off? Give some of that money back or retire - or work to get yourself to another team if you hate the pressure

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I dont see an answer in this nonsense to why you picked such a small number of minutes, also see the edit gumshoe.
To address this point, maybe you need to read it again. It's all 77 goalies in the league who have played at least 1000 minutes 5 on 5, and have played the three years. It's not me picking anything. ITS ALL GOALIES.

Last edited:

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
I say roll with Allen. Holtby lost his starting spot with Washington the year they won the cup. Grubauer took over and started the first 2 games of the playoffs and was horrible so Holtby came back and we know what happened next. Price needs to figure some things out give him time to do that on the bench

widowmaker

Jun 21, 2009
MB
Just can't think of a star player who is so prone to these stretches of mental breakdowns/poor play seemingly every year through most of his career........For a chill guy, he has alotta slumps

Reactions: Magic Stick

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2021-2-26_19-35-14.png

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Brought this up a couple of years ago and it was completely shat on...

but what are the odds we expose Price in the expansion draft to Seattle? And what would be the odds they take him? Him playing junior there and being a west coast kid and all.

Habano

Allez les Bleus, (Blancs, Rouges)
May 18, 2012
Brought this up a couple of years ago and it was completely shat on...

but what are the odds we expose Price in the expansion draft to Seattle? And what would be the odds they take him? Him playing junior there and being a west coast kid and all.
If and it's a big if, he waives his NMC, we'd have to retain a bunch of salary and probably give up some picks. Ron Francis is not a dummy.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
If and it's a big if, he waives his NMC, we'd have to retain a bunch of salary and probably give up some picks. Ron Francis is not a dummy.
Scratch him rest of the season and he will be happy to waive to go to Seattle and be closer to home and actually get to play. Francis gets a name to market same as Knights did with MAF

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I’m not debating his “hof” credentials. Whether he has enough to get in is immaterial to the discussion about his recent season(s) performance. I actually think outside of one year’s performance his dominance is overstated. In that year he has 2 number 1 caliber dmen and he hasn’t repeated before or after. He likely does get in, but I don’t care about that. For the last 2-3 years he’s been completely underwhelming, I know many defenders cling to the past, but it’s 2021 now and things aren’t what they used to be.

I value your objective analysis over many posters on this board, but I feel you are stuck in past years here. He’s not that guy anymore. He can give you stretches like that, but you’re grasping at straws to suggest he can still do that on a routine basis. Other goalies do more with less imo, but we still coddle him like he’s a 20 year old taking over the reigns. He needs to be better and even he knows it. Stop trying to window dress his shitty play.

You might consider reading and responding to my post rather than conflating it with broader narratives on the board.

I don't think he's playing at that level right now, I don't think he's played at that level with any consistency in the past few years, and I don't think his contract is a good use of cap space...

And.

He clearly DID play at that level during the most important & highest pressure stretch of games this organization has had in recent years.

That's all I stated.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Price has never had one team in front of him near the caliber of which Plante, Dryden, or Roy had...not one team
You don't want to go around making false excuses for Price. This is squarely on him not the team in front of him. No team can win with .893% goal trending. Especially one carrying a caphit of 10.5m.

Price has been terribly inconsistent his whole career.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Scratch him rest of the season and he will be happy to waive to go to Seattle and be closer to home and actually get to play. Francis gets a name to market same as Knights did with MAF
I tend to agree. Price is killing the team. So many soft goals is killing their morale and hurting confidence in young players like Suzuki. He needs to go ASAP.

Bergevin does the same thing over and over. He did it with Lefebvre and Dudley. He stays with his mistakes too long and it has a domino effect

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
You might consider reading and responding to my post rather than conflating it with broader narratives on the board.

I don't think he's playing at that level right now, I don't think he's played at that level with any consistency in the past few years, and I don't think his contract is a good use of cap space...

And.

He clearly DID play at that level during the most important & highest pressure stretch of games this organization has had in recent years.

That's all I stated.
Sry bro, didn't mean to misrepresent your argument. Where we disagree is on the importance of those covid-invitational games. I think the games during this season are much more important than those games where we didn't even belong in the competition in the first place.

The team has committed to the cap finally, made what it thinks are win now moves and generally improved our overall roster, but he is playing awful under the new look. Despite my lack of love for MB, this team is clearly a playoff caliber team now with JA/TT/AR added to the roster. I didn't love the Edmunson signing and still feel our backend needs to improve before we are a top5 team, but I do believe we are a top 10 team and 2nd best in the Canadian Division, but goaltending is letting us down. I'd ride Allen for a bit, let Price clear his head and hope a break helps him find his covid-playin form and gets hot again towards the end of the year, but he is costing us points right now. He is letting is bad goals almost every game. I don't expect him to have to carry the team on his back like before, but I do expect him to be better than league average and he hasn't even been league average, he's been terrible.

Reactions: dnl4ever

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
I tend to agree. Price is killing the team. So many soft goals is killing their morale and hurting confidence in young players like Suzuki. He needs to go ASAP.

Bergevin does the same thing over and over. He did it with Lefebvre and Dudley. He stays with his mistakes too long and it has a domino effect
I noticed the seats are empty in the arena too. May as well blame Price for that. Suzuki struggles are on himself man this is ridiculous.

Mandala

Dec 7, 2006
We have Primeau, McNiven, Allen. Time to be creative and create some space. Price was dominant at times but overall not as great as many other goalies. Even a two goalie system of Halak caliber would have worked. Too much hype, just look at his career numbers of save pourcentage. He had his great moments like the Olympics and stretches of 10-20 games here and there.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Habs will not become a playoff team with a goalie who has clearly declined. Carey Price has built himself a nice career but his struggles are not recent...he has been below average for over 3 years

During the PO's he was what he was suppose to be though, so what changed?:huh:

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Price signed his contract on July 2, 2017. Since then, he has played 193 games, including the playoffs. During this period, he stopped 5230 of 5746 shots, giving him a goals-against average of 2.72 and a save percentage of .911. He also posted 11 shutouts during this time, including two in the playoffs last summer.
During the four years prior to signing the eight-year deal, Price played 229 games. He saved 6334 shots of 6829 possible, with a GAA of 2.16 and a save percentage of .928. He posted 22 shutouts during those years.

Which way is he trending? He's 50th in the league right now in SP. His SP is .888, last year it was .909

This is Price without any of the comparisons you want to negate. What do you think?

Myself, and most of the entire fanbase can agree his play this year as been abysmal. I don’t think there’s any argument to be had on that topic. As for the contract, as somebody who thinks Price is a good goalie, I’ve never understood it. It’s awful no doubt. What we disagree on is the last 3 years, or more specifically the last 2. He was bad in 17/18. I’ll give you that. But I think he was solid considering the supporting cast the previous two, especially with how hard we rode him both those seasons. He’s prone to bad mental lapses now, but he’s still capable of being a good goalie for a little while longer. As to where he is trending? I have no idea. It’s hard to judge something like that while he’s playing this poorly. He’ll likely never hit the level he was at in his prime, but he’s also not as bad as he’s playing right now.

Reactions: azcanuck

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Sry bro, didn't mean to misrepresent your argument. Where we disagree is on the importance of those covid-invitational games. I think the games during this season are much more important than those games where we didn't even belong in the competition in the first place.

The team has committed to the cap finally, made what it thinks are win now moves and generally improved our overall roster, but he is playing awful under the new look. Despite my lack of love for MB, this team is clearly a playoff caliber team now with JA/TT/AR added to the roster. I didn't love the Edmunson signing and still feel our backend needs to improve before we are a top5 team, but I do believe we are a top 10 team and 2nd best in the Canadian Division, but goaltending is letting us down. I'd ride Allen for a bit, let Price clear his head and hope a break helps him find his covid-playin form and gets hot again towards the end of the year, but he is costing us points right now. He is letting is bad goals almost every game. I don't expect him to have to carry the team on his back like before, but I do expect him to be better than league average and he hasn't even been league average, he's been terrible.

Ask Toronto fans how much spending to the cap meant for them before the Matthews era began. It means nothing if you don’t spread your budget accordingly. $15 million in goaltending, almost $8 million for a rapidly declining defenseman, $8 million for two bottom 6/fringe NHL defenseman, $3.5 million for a fourth liner, etc. It all adds up pretty quick. Adding two 30 point wingers was never going to drastically change the team. Bergevin did a good job selling to the fans and media that this was a much improved product but it’s not.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Maybe he is not into the game and pressure anymore. Playing in Montreal for well over a decade can't be easy.

Possible,but why the sudden change from the PO's to now? not all that long ago. If that is the case,he should ask for a trade before what little value he has now is entirely depleted. Is he too proud to not wear contact lenses if he actually needs them,is his family life effecting him that drastically. Most other professions will jettison an employee if not pulling their weight,and he certainly is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad