Player Discussion Carey Price - Covid Playoff Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I dont understand this line of defense. They are goalies posting way better stats than Price playing behind equally or worst defense squad. Is Price making a difference or not? If the team is bad , Price is bad. If the team is good , Price is good. Then why the hell we pay him that kind of money if he makes no difference at all
We shouldn't have paid him 10.5 and then surrounded him with AHL level D. You're right... it made no sense to do this! It's a stupid way to run a team.

As for other goalies being able to win with this squad, that hasn't been the case. We had one backup get hot in 2017 and the following year got smoked. And over the past couple of years Price had to play an insane amount of hockey because our backups were getting killed behind our D. That's why we ponied up the 4m for Jake Allen.

Instead of doing that we should've just got a decent LD. But we don't want to do that for some reason. We want to make it as hard on our goalies as we can. And it makes no f***ing sense at all.

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
We shouldn't have paid him 10.5 and then surrounded him with AHL level D. You're right... it made no sense to do this! It's a stupid way to run a team.

As for other goalies being able to win with this squad, that hasn't been the case. We had one backup get hot in 2017 and the following year got smoked. And over the past couple of years Price had to play an insane amount of hockey because our backups were getting killed behind our D. That's why we ponied up the 4m for Jake Allen.

Instead of doing that we should've just got a decent LD. But we don't want to do that for some reason. We want to make it as hard on our goalies as we can. And it makes no f***ing sense at all.

Thinking we could replace Markov with Alzner. Bergevin had the nerves to say his defense was better then ever. Oh boy cant wait for a new start. We have to tear it all down in order to rebuild from the ground up. There is no other way around. The reset on the fly only keep us in the no mans land wandering for salvation

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Thinking we could replace Markov with Alzner. Bergevin had the nerves to say his defense was better then ever. Oh boy cant wait for a new start. We have to tear it all down in order to rebuild from the ground up. There is no other way around. The reset on the fly only keep us in the no mans land wandering for salvation
I will defend the contract. I won't defend how we ran the team. That was just mindblowingly dumb. And I think if Price knew what was coming he never would've signed here.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I think people who don't think Price has declined are delusional but the people who make the claim that he had one great year and was never that good are equally ridiculous. The season before he won the Hart Trophy he had a 2.32 gaa and a 927 save %. He also had two great seasons after he won the Hart trophy albeit one was short due to injury.
Sure he’s got 4-5 excellent years. I’m not disputing this, but he was only the clear/cut best in the world for one. If you compile his 4best seasons in a row he is likely the best over that timeframe, but we’re 3-4 years away from that Price now. He’s not in contention anymore and currently he’s not the best on his own team.

Reactions: Habs Icing

TheRealPrice

Feb 26, 2021
No accountability has run ramapant for years in Montreal, first with Molson and tjen Bergevin. Years between then, and now Price is having a rough patch and this crap show up? LOL
The Habs are a joke from the TOP down, since the sale of the team to Money Mol$on, so if you want to talk accountability please start with the right people.

So you're saying with a different management group Price would be better?

Lets see, he played under:

7 different head coaches
3 Goalie coaches
2 different owners
3 different GMs

Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result is what they call insanity

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto

7 different head coaches
3 Goalie coaches
2 different owners
3 different GMs

Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result is what they call insanity
Hasn't our defence (scratch that, team) been pretty bad for most of those years regardless of coaches...

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

7 different head coaches
3 Goalie coaches
2 different owners
3 different GMs

The prime of his career was wasted by Marc Bergevin..........common knowledge.
There current regime with Molson and Bergevin were never interested in a Cup team, just a playoff team, $$$$ and they failed at that too. The failed the fans and their goalie. He would have had a Cup or two by now if drafted by another team. Put your hate and narrative aside.
Winningest goalie with the organization with the absolutely worst built teams.
Rough patche right now yup for sure...but when he was on hos game Lil petite Davide was his #1 centre.
LOL at the organization.

Reactions: peate

TheRealPrice

Feb 26, 2021
What did i say to trigger this response from you? I was just stating facts.

The prime of his career was wasted by Marc Bergevin..........common knowledge.
There current regime with Molson and Bergevin were never interested in a Cup team, just a playoff team, $$$$ and they failed at that too. The failed the fans and their goalie. He would have had a Cup or two by now if drafted by another team. Put your hate and narrative aside.
Winningest goalie with the organization with the absolutely worst built teams.
Rough patche right now yup for sure...but when he was on hos game Lil petite Davide was his #1 centre.
LOL at the organization.

But I mean if you're going to talk about wins
can you please tell me why you conveniently disregard these 2 facts here:

Lowest win ratio
And most losses

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
What did i say to trigger this response from you? I was just stating facts.

But I mean if you're going to talk about wins
can you please tell me why you conveniently disregard these 2 facts here:

Lowest win ratio
And most losses
These are the results of having arguably the worst teams the habs have ever had out in front of him.
Remember during his prime, his #1 C was Lil Petite Davide...
At least be fair about it, it's not like he had a good team in front of him.

TheRealPrice

Feb 26, 2021
These are the results of having arguably the worst teams the habs have ever had out in front of him.
Remember during his prime, his #1 C was Lil Petite Davide...
At least be fair about it, it's not like he had a good team in front of him.

i think you’re biased and you clearly have an agenda, i see no reason for one to argue with you... im sure you’re a good guy but damn son good luck in life

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
we'll see if Ducharme is serious about winning by starting Allen next game. Please no Price for at least two weeks.
Ducharme have to resist the people telling him to put back Price. Price needs to rest for a while, like a week or two. Waite have to close check the practices of Price and say yes he's ready.

Reactions: azcanuck

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
I'm pretty sure that Carey would agree that Zub goal was stoppable...

It was a well placed shot by Zub.

Who knows how easy it would have been for him to pick that weak spot just above the blocker - side pad if the pad wasn't super-high-contrast red??

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
It was a well placed shot by Zub.

Who knows how easy it would have been for him to pick that weak spot just above the blocker - side pad if the pad wasn't super-high-contrast red??

I get your vibe but apparently, it doesn't matter for the PROS as they learn to always shoot the puck in that area...

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Hope this goalie coach change helps Price. Price hasn’t had a save percentage over .910 since 2018-19 and has averaged a .908 mark over the past four seasons. Before Ottawa game he had a 3.13 goals-against average and .888 SV% this campaign.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018

7 different head coaches
3 Goalie coaches
2 different owners
3 different GMs

It's unfortunate that he didn't have a more complete NHL roster, in his younger years, in front of the net. At 33, Price's best years are behind him. Maybe the Habs need to cut their losses and allow him to win a championship somewhere else. His contract and NMC make him virtually untradeable though. Price's beginning in Montreal wasn't exactly seamless either. They kept him around to avoid another Roy fiasco and let go Halak.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Really interesting article on Price here: Carey Price is no longer the elite goaltender he once was

"Price signed his contract on July 2, 2017. Since then, he has played 193 games, including the playoffs. During this period, he stopped 5230 of 5746 shots, giving him a goals-against average of 2.72 and a save percentage of .911. He also posted 11 shutouts during this time, including two in the playoffs last summer."

"During the four years prior to signing the eight-year deal, Price played 229 games. He saved 6334 shots of 6829 possible, with a GAA of 2.16 and a save percentage of .928. He posted 22 shutouts during those years."

0.911 is certainly nothing to be proud of, especially not for the salary he is making. Obviously the team hasn't been very good since he signed that contract but I still expect much better than that.

Price's bad period coincides with our D-corps getting blown to smithereens by the idiot GM

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I will defend the contract. I won't defend how we ran the team. That was just mindblowingly dumb. And I think if Price knew what was coming he never would've signed here.

At the time, he probably thought Markov and Radulov were sticking around. Drouin was just traded for or was about to, forget the timing, so Price probably felt really good signing that contract. Sure, he had 80m reasons to fell good, but three more didn’t hurt.

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad