Player Discussion Carey Price - Covid Playoff Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Price definitely had a long stretch where he was the best goalie in the league. Won awards and many accolades, and deserved those.

But in 2021, he's living on reputation only. He's nowhere near the goalie he once was.

I don't know if it's physical, mental, both, whatever...but it's a major issue with this team.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
If someone were to trade him after we pay his $11M signing bonus this summer, he would only be owed $33.25M ($6.65M a year) for the remaining 5 years of his deal which a team that doesn't spend to the cap could find more manageable if they believe he can bounce back.

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
Price has to be the most coddled player in the NHL.

I was reading a Sportsnet article that maybe he needs time away from the ice and a break...what the f***. Did they not just have a long time off? If he can't play a month without needing a break then maybe he should find a different profession.

Maybe he just isn't that good anymore? He's the most overrated and overpaid player in the NHL. He's never, nor ever will be, a Roy/Hasek/Brodeur. For f***s sakes...he's never even taken a team to a Stanley Cup final. He's can play well for like one round in the playoffs and that's it.

He's gonna be 34 this summer. Some players play well in their mid-30's but I'd say the majority don't and are either in decline or out of the league all together. Price doesn't move as well anymore and doesn't read the play as well anymore. Often times he is guessing and completely out of position. His numbers are brutal and honestly they could be even worse. A number of times this year I've seen opposing teams miss open nets because Price is way out of position. He's not going to get better with age...

Bergevin has f***ed this team again with this contract.

Imagine reading an article from Sportsnet and blaming Price for being coddled from it. May as well blame him for people who defend him irrationally on the internet.

I think @MasterDecoy got it right in the PGT,Price is playing poorly, the defense is also playing poorly and he is getting bad breaks as well. The perfect storm, which happened in the start of the 2018-19 season as well and then he got it together from January-April while playing almost every single game when they missed the playoffs by 2 points. Play Allen for a bit, get some practice time in and see where it goes. Allen isnt the answer long term, the guy had to take mental breaks from being the starter in St. Louis.

Reactions: 417

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
How we can not play Allen as the starter at this point is beyond me. I love Carey, but the Price is wrong bitch

Game 1 with new coach - you 100% play Price. Clean slate. So no issues for me. But after last night - i'd be fine with this until he gets his game back.

Reactions: Tyson

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Imagine reading an article from Sportsnet and blaming Price for being coddled from it. May as well blame him for people who defend him irrationally on the internet.

That's just one example.

Habs fans have been notoriously overprotective of Price and constantly coming up with excuses for his poor play.

There always seems to be a reason why he's playing poorly and it's not just that he's playing poorly.

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
I think the hate on him this year is over the top. Sure he's letting in softies sometimes and is not playing at the level he should (people are mad because he's paid 10.5M and I understand that) but you should take a look at the defense. It just looks like everytime Weber and Chiarot are on the ice, they get stuck in the D zone and try to get the puck back like des poules pas de tête. Their coverage is, at best, mediocre and because of them last night, Winnipeg scored 3 goals that Allen couldn't even have saved.

The Chiaber experience needs to stop, other teams adjusted while these slowpokes can't adjust.

Reactions: Miller Time

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Just let the guy sit for a few games...ride Allen.

Appeal to his professional pride, maybe get Price pissed off for once because it doesn't look like he had a pulse right now.

We've seen this movie before.

Jake Allen is a good goalie and has deserved more starts then he's gotten this year.

Reactions: Miller Time

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
That's just one example.

Habs fans have been notoriously overprotective of Price and constantly coming up with excuses for his poor play.

There always seems to be a reason why he's playing poorly and it's not just that he's playing poorly.
Do you think Price tells them to do that? Do you think it has any affect on Price whatsoever in his performance or how he feels about his play?

Edit: I see people on this forum upset because Price thinks he is overthinking things. How can you watch him play and not believe that? The Brady Tkachuk 4-4 goal the other night is easily overthinking it. If he is playing normal and confident he just sits on that post.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I think the hate on him this year is over the top. Sure he's letting in softies sometimes and is not playing at the level he should (people are mad because he's paid 10.5M and I understand that) but you should take a look at the defense. It just looks like everytime Weber and Chiarot are on the ice, they get stuck in the D zone and try to get the puck back like des poules pas de tête. Their coverage is, at best, mediocre and because of them last night, Winnipeg scored 3 goals that Allen couldn't even have saved.

The Chiaber experience needs to stop, other teams adjusted while these slowpokes can't adjust.
Still no excuses for letting in soft goals. The 2 softies against Tkachuk cost us the game.

He simply looks uncomfortable in net.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
If someone were to trade him after we pay his $11M signing bonus this summer, he would only be owed $33.25M ($6.65M a year) for the remaining 5 years of his deal which a team that doesn't spend to the cap could find more manageable if they believe he can bounce back.
He still has a NMC which eliminate these teams... Price's extension was an aberration when he signed it... It just now that everyone is seiing it.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Most of the goals last night weren't on Price, but a goal like Thompson's is something he needs to have.

He was lights out in August, so it would be hard to believe he's now washed up. Considering he just had his first son and 3rd child in October, maybe his mind isn't 100% on hockey.

At this point, the team is a tire fire defensively and lots of goalies would struggle to look good. It makes sense to play Allen who is playing with a lot of confidence until Ducharme can hopefully fix things, with the way the team is playing defensively it doesn't make a lot of sense to be riding Price as the #1 guy right now.

tnq

Feb 16, 2004
If they want to win, they must take Price out of the team. Stop protecting the wrong guy. He is paid 10.5M per year because he suppose to be good. Imagine, if his name is Lingren, is he still in the line up after many bad games ? Bergevin tried to find someone to pay for his mistake.

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
Still no excuses for letting in soft goals. The 2 softies against Tkachuk cost us the game.

He simply looks uncomfortable in net.
Of course, not challenging that but he's not the only cause of the Habs struggle, far from it. Hope they get their s... together soon enough

Reactions: Tyson

cave troll

Oct 9, 2013
Croatia
I think, if Price was on .700 ppl will still blame the players infront of him.
Price on .920+ is gone forever. We can only hope he can play at least 2,3 seasons around .900.
And no, there is no team who can pick up a 10+ million buck goalie who can barely reach .900.
We will see coach after coach getting fired, Price a .900 goalie 10 times overpaid than his market worth, but the man who did all this will still be a GM.

Reactions: Tyson and Tuggy

1000eeer

Jan 28, 2020
Quebec city
Of course Price has been dog **** from the beginning of the season

But you can't trade a 10M$+ goalie in the NHL right now. Not with a flat cap. We are stuck with him unless Seattle takes him...

Price will bounce back. We've got Allen.. No need to panic right now regarding the goalie situation.

On the other hand though, we should do something with to fix our D. That's way easier and it doesn't require to turn the world around.

What's wrong with our D? Speed mainly. It's freaking 2021. Not 1996. We've got to have some speed in the back end.

Moving Romanov alongside Weber and bringing IN Fleury could be an option. Making a trade could be another one

Last edited:
Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John

But you can't trade a 10M$+ goalie in the NHL right now. Not with a flat cap. We are stuck with him unless Seattle takes him...

Price will bounce back. We've got Allen.. No need to panic right now regarding the goalie situation.

On the other hand though, we should do something with to fix our D. That's way easier and it doesn't require to turn the world around.

What's wrong with our D? Speed mainly. It's freaking 2021. Not 1996. We've got to have some speed in the back end.

Moving Romanov alongside Weber and bringing IN Fleury could be an option. Making a trade could be another one

I keep reading Price will bounce back or Price will be fine...but why?

What evidence is there to support this, other than blind faith?

The last season he had that was really good was 2016-2017 (so basically before his 30's). And we are sitting here in 2021...

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

Yeah it seems Bergevin thinks that Ken Daneyko types are the answer in 2021.

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
Maybe he needs another one of these

DmumuFuV4AA0bka.jpg

1000eeer

Jan 28, 2020
Quebec city
I keep reading Price will bounce back or Price will be fine...but why?

What evidence is there to support this, other than blind faith?

The last season he had that was really good was 2016-2017 (so basically before his 30's). And we are sitting here in 2021...

Look I'd gladly trade him but the guy makes more than 10M$ a year. It's truly stupid to put 10M$+ between the pipes. Every GM in the NHL knows that. So we're stuck with him... Unless a miracle happens.

Why are we the team with the most minors in the league (which is a big problem). Simply because our Ds aren't quick enough to get to the puck. So what do they do? Hooking, cross-checking, flashing and so forth... THAT NEEDS TO STOP ASAP.

Let Price take a breather (not that he should need one), put Allen between the pipes and let's fix our D. It can be done quickly. Time is of the essence here

Reactions: Tuggy

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Look I'd gladly trade him but the guy makes more than 10M$ a year. It's truly stupid to put 10M$+ between the pipes. Every GM in the NHL knows that. So we're stuck with him... Unless a miracle happens.

Why are we the team with the most minors in the league (which is a big problem). Simply because our Ds aren't quick enough to get to the puck. So what do they do? Hooking, cross-checking, flashing and so forth... THAT NEEDS TO STOP ASAP.

Let Price take a breather (not that he should need one), put Allen between the pipes and let's fix our D. It can be done quickly. Time is of the essence here

No doubt there are many issues with the team but this is a Price thread, so I'm just focusing on him.

I agree trading him is likely impossible, but that doesn't mean he's going to magically turn into the goalie of 4 years ago.

I don't have a solution and maybe blind faith and praying to the Flying Spaghetti Monster is our only hope.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Just let the guy sit for a few games...ride Allen.

Appeal to his professional pride, maybe get Price pissed off for once because it doesn't look like he had a pulse right now.

We've seen this movie before.

Jake Allen is a good goalie and has deserved more starts then he's gotten this year.
When Price is pissed off, he looks pissed off and everybody knows it. It's the kind of distraction that drown the entire team. I wonder if Price is not happy to sabotage the team because he wants to run the show by himself. It's him and nobody else. This is just my speculation from what I see. Body language tells a lot.

I guess Molson and Habs management doesn't want another drama à la Roy-Tremblay. But they will have to face tough decisions because Price isn't going to be younger. I guess in a year or two there will be a big clean-up house, from Bergevin to Timmins and Price and Weber. It have to be done because that team is sinking. A real rebuilt is needed.

Reactions: Tuggy

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I have ZERO doubts that Carey Price will find his game again...none whatsoever.

But it's disappointing that the team invested so much into a very capable backup, talked up his acquisition nonstop...for these very specific situations.

Yet they've continued to go back to him even though he hasn't really provided the Habs with any quality starts this year.

This is a 56 game season, there's no time to pander to egos.

1000eeer

Jan 28, 2020
Quebec city
No doubt there are many issues with the team but this is a Price thread, so I'm just focusing on him.

I agree trading him is likely impossible, but that doesn't mean he's going to magically turn into the goalie of 4 years ago.

I don't have a solution and maybe blind faith and praying to the Flying Spaghetti Monster is our only hope.

If you want a statement regarding Price, here's one: Price ATTITUDE s**ks, BIG TIME.

It bothers me even more than his performance on the ice

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I have ZERO doubts that Carey Price will find his game again...none whatsoever.

But it's disappointing that the team invested so much into a very capable backup, talked up his acquisition nonstop...for these very specific situations.

Yet they've continued to go back to him even though he hasn't really provided the Habs with any quality starts this year.

This is a 56 game season, there's no time to pander to egos.

This, and as some pointed out at the time of the Allen move, there is zero evidence that having a better back up or reducing Price's volume would enhance his play...

Was a terrible use of assets & cap space at the time. The same pick & cap used instead to get a PMD would've paid far better dividends on impacting price's play.

At 10.5M, we need Price to be better, not to be sitting on the bench. Playing Allen more may (or may not) help us win games short term, but it won't help address the shoddy D group nor is it likely to trigger better play from Price.

Terribly handled roster situation leading to terrible results... And so it goes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad