Player Discussion Carey Price - Covid Playoff Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
Saw someone post this on reddit. Can anybody tell me which stats websites are tracking this sort of thing? Looks very interesting and I'm curious how other goaltenders fare.

MNs2TqJ.png

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
How to make Price a drug dealer. That is the most important question and should be at the top of the priority list.

Flyinghab

Jul 18, 2012
Ontario
I remember when Marc Andre Fleury played for the Pens he went into a crazy slump and they got him a sports psychologist. I'd like the Habs to do the same for Price. If we are going to get rid of his contract we have to get him playing good again. His time as a Hab is clearly drawing to a close but the NMC is a huge obstacle. It's going to be interesting to see how Waite and Ducharme handle this.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I remember when Marc Andre Fleury played for the Pens he went into a crazy slump and they got him a sports psychologist. I'd like the Habs to do the same for Price. If we are going to get rid of his contract we have to get him playing good again. His time as a Hab is clearly drawing to a close but the NMC is a huge obstacle. It's going to be interesting to see how Waite and Ducharme handle this.
I can't believe this team doesn't have a psychologist on the payroll...

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
If they do have one he or she need to be fired...lol!
Sometimes it's really you and only you that can get it done IMO.

And I think that's what's happening with Price right now, he's moving well, he makes amazing saves but for some reason, he has these lapses of concentration where he lets in beach balls in...

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019

And I think that's what's happening with Price right now, he's moving well, he makes amazing saves but for some reason, he has these lapses of concentration where he lets in beach balls in...

Yes, that's what differentiates solid starting goalie to subpar goaltender. Price has been average to below average since 2017 and is not getting any younger. He has always been mentally weak but could compensate by his athletic abilities. At 33 years old, his mental lapse are more evident than ever. He is not coming back, there is no rewinding the wheel here.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Yes, that's what differentiates solid starting goalie to subpar goaltender. Price has been average to below average since 2017 and is not getting any younger. He has always been mentally weak but could compensate by his athletic abilities. At 33 years old, his mental lapse are more evident than ever. He is not coming back, there is no rewinding the wheel here.
He'll get his shit together, it's been always like this with Price....
He was always having these "he's done" moments throughout his career.

I'm starting to think he enjoys them...

Zam Boni

Dec 14, 2009

I do not think he is moving well at the moment, something is definitely off in his game. He used to be the smoothest goalie in the NHL, now he is scrambling and struggling like in his first seasons.
He goes down t0o low, losing his torso which used to much more upright in the butterfly.
His movement isn't as smooth as it used to be, on his feet nor in the butterfly.
He doesn't seal the ice as well in the butterfly either, also leaving the five hole open, which he NEVER did before.

Compare to this, which is obviously not in game action, but his movement, seal and butterfly is spot on and on a different level compared to what we are seeing today.
Is it in his head?
Injury?
Is he done, broken down?
Don't know, but we are seeing a different Price currently.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
There have been 55 goalies this season that have played 5 games or more. Price currently ranks 50th out of those 55 goalies with that sv%.
Carey Price is done. Another Scotty Gomez. We hung onto him too long.

He was overrated to start with. He is too inconsistent. Resulting from a combination of playing in hockey mad Montreal, young fans with no experience to high end goaltending and for short sprints could take his game to a high.

In '08, he was pretty good. By '09 and '10 he had fell off. Halak beat him out of his starting position and took team to Conference Finals. In '11 he was once again fairly good. By '12 he did another disappearting act. From '13-'15 he was at height of his career and did fairly well. By '16 he had fell off once again. 2017 solid, by '18 another tail spin. Playoffs last year he was hot again, this year he has fell off again.

I go back to end of Plante era. I have seen good goaltending. Price is not in same breathe as Plante, Roy or Dryden. They had their faults also, but not is same sentence as Price's inconsistency.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Carey Price is done. Another Scotty Gomez. We hung onto him too long.

He was overrated to start with. He is too inconsistent. Resulting from a combination of playing in hockey mad Montreal, young fans with no experience to high end goaltending and for short sprints could take his game to a high.

In '08, he was pretty good. By '09 and '10 he had fell off. Halak beat him out of his starting position and took team to Conference Finals. In '11 he was once again fairly good. By '12 he did another disappearting act. From '13-'15 he was at height of his career and did fairly well. By '16 he had fell off once again. 2017 solid, by '18 another tail spin. Playoffs last year he was hot again, this year he has fell off again.

I go back to end of Plante era. I have seen good goaltending. Price is not in same breathe as Plante, Roy or Dryden. They had their faults also, but not is same sentence as Price's inconsistency.
Price has never had one team in front of him near the caliber of which Plante, Dryden, or Roy had...not one team

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I can't believe this team doesn't have a psychologist on the payroll...

Honestly, this should be up to Price to seek help, perhaps with some encouragement from Waite and the staff. I get there’s a stupid stigma about asking for psychological help, but many athletes do it. Maybe Price is seeing somebody, but if not, he probably should.

TBH, even when things go well, any player should meet one when time allows.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
We need Carey Price to bounce back. Simple as that. He has it in him to still be good. He's not too old. We saw how great he was in August. It might be a small sample size - but I think he was the absolute best player in the NHL through 2 rounds.

People saying "play Allen" and "we'd win with Allen"...look Allen is having a good season, yes. But Allen has had some serious issues in performances in the past too, he's not a solution for us if we want to contend, or if we want to be good for next few years. Our success still goes through Carey Price, one way or another.

No idea how to fix him though.

Reactions: sandviper

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
How we can not play Allen as the starter at this point is beyond me. I love Carey, but the Price is wrong bitch

Reactions: Gains

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Price has to be the most coddled player in the NHL.

I was reading a Sportsnet article that maybe he needs time away from the ice and a break...what the f***. Did they not just have a long time off? If he can't play a month without needing a break then maybe he should find a different profession.

Maybe he just isn't that good anymore? He's the most overrated and overpaid player in the NHL. He's never, nor ever will be, a Roy/Hasek/Brodeur. For f***s sakes...he's never even taken a team to a Stanley Cup final. He's can play well for like one round in the playoffs and that's it.

He's gonna be 34 this summer. Some players play well in their mid-30's but I'd say the majority don't and are either in decline or out of the league all together. Price doesn't move as well anymore and doesn't read the play as well anymore. Often times he is guessing and completely out of position. His numbers are brutal and honestly they could be even worse. A number of times this year I've seen opposing teams miss open nets because Price is way out of position. He's not going to get better with age...

Bergevin has f***ed this team again with this contract.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
How a GM thought it was a sound idea to give 10.5 million to a goalie until the age of 38 and an owner who approved it is shocking to me. On a lesser extent watch how bad the Gallagher contract looks in a year or 2.

Maybe it is the GM who should be fired for consistently failing at his job???

Reactions: Tuggy

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
We need Carey Price to bounce back. Simple as that. He has it in him to still be good. He's not too old. We saw how great he was in August. It might be a small sample size - but I think he was the absolute best player in the NHL through 2 rounds.

People saying "play Allen" and "we'd win with Allen"...look Allen is having a good season, yes. But Allen has had some serious issues in performances in the past too, he's not a solution for us if we want to contend, or if we want to be good for next few years. Our success still goes through Carey Price, one way or another.

No idea how to fix him though.

I don’t think Allen is the long term answer for us, but IMO, Price needs to figure this out. In that case, I’d run with Allen a few games and ride him until he has a stinker or two. We have no back to backs for a couple weeks so maybe let him handle at least the next three games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad