Confirmed with Link: Carcillo on try out contract

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Why shouldn't the Pens get grittier and even dirtier? For years the league was about cracking down obstruction, then it slowly creeps back in and the refs do nothing. You want to push this team around? Well, they'll push back...then punch you when you aren't looking because **** you, that's why.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I'm excited, in a way I shouldn't be, at the idea of a Carcillo-Sill-Downie line if Goc were to get hurt.

Yeah, this is finally happening. I've been griping about the lack of toughness in the bottom six for years and I'm probably happier than I should be that the team has finally doing something about it.

But my dream 4th line at the moment is still Carcillo-Sill-Farnham.

Mic them all and turn them loose.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I want people to hate the Penguins because their team was the kid that took his lunch box home crying because the others wouldn't play fair.

**** the league, time for the Pens to be bullies. I like this a lot *Lloyd from dumb and dumber style*

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
Yeah, this is finally happening. I've been griping about the lack of toughness in the bottom six for years and I'm probably happier than I should be that the team has finally doing something about it.

But my dream 4th line at the moment is still Carcillo-Sill-Farnham.

Mic them all and turn them loose.

I'd love to watch that. LOL.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
this is the kind of tough I can support. Guys that can play. Guys that can skate. There's even some honest to goodness talent there.

imouttahereEdWinger

Jan 22, 2014
It's not being a hypocrite to change your mind. It's like 3 or 4 years later. He tried walking the walk, the rest of the league laughed at his high-minded ideals, and he changed his mind and decided not to hamstring his own team when no one else tried to follow his lead.

The league won't protect the stars, couldn't have cared less about its poster child taking repeated blows to the head in nationally televised playoff games proving they only talk out their ass about concussion issues and player safety, so it only makes sense to start delivering the blows instead. You touch Sid, now we have the loose cannons willing to head shot your stars too so consider carefully your crosschecks.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
this is the kind of tough I can support. Guys that can play. Guys that can skate. There's even some honest to goodness talent there.

Guys that need a PTO to find a team. Guys that have been shuffled around the leagaue the past three years. Guys that have reoccuring concussion issues and when they do play are often cited for the horrible penalties they take.

Is this how Vancouver's forum sounded after 2011?

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
Guys that need a PTO to find a team. Guys that have been shuffled around the leagaue the past three years. Guys that have reoccuring concussion issues and when they do play are often cited for the horrible penalties they take.

Is this how Vancouver's forum sounded after 2011?

oh ok we'll grab all the rookie goons who can score 30

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
oh ok we'll grab all the rookie goons who can score 30

No, but I think banking on the fact that our bottom six will be vastly improved because we have multiple players that are journeymen is a little bit of an assumption. There is a reason these players are traded and signed by different teams every year, ever read Terry Ryan's book called A First Round Nothing?

I think it just speaks towards Rutherford's ability as a GM and also kind of fortifies what all the Canes fans were saying about him, is that he values players that aren't necessarily aspects of today's NHL anymore. Makes sense, dude has been a GM since '94. Thing is players like Carcillo have no place in today's game and that's why every single cup contender that had him, gave him away the season after they made a run. Also, I didn't realize a player that is a healthy scratch the majority of the season and playoffs can make an impact.

Antaris

Totally Trustworthy
Dec 5, 2010
Sweden
debbie.jpg

Being nice and skilled, with AHL bottom 6 sure got us far.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
debbie.jpg

Being nice and skilled, with AHL bottom 6 sure got us far.

Downie has been neutered since he left Tampa Bay. Carcillo is just a moron, I'm all for adding a Cooke level player. I loved Matt Cooke when he was here and I love players like that, Carcillo and Downie are not players like that and that is why they have trouble finding permanent jobs in the NHL. Downie's issues are more health related, but the fact is these aren't players that Stanley Cup Contenders bring in to shape their bottom six. They are players you bring in on trade deadline deals to add a spark.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Downie has been neutered since he left Tampa Bay. Carcillo is just a moron, I'm all for adding a Cooke level player. I loved Matt Cooke when he was here and I love players like that, Carcillo and Downie are not players like that and that is why they have trouble finding permanent jobs in the NHL. Downie's issues are more health related, but the fact is these aren't players that Stanley Cup Contenders bring in to shape their bottom six. They are players you bring in on trade deadline deals to add a spark.

So you don't like adding these guys in August but you're fine with giving up picks for them in March?

Fordy

May 28, 2008
carcillo, as we've established, is the DEFINITION of a player cup contenders bring in to fill out their bottom six... chicago, la, ny

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
We've also "established" he was let go from all of those teams following the playoffs and was often a healthy scratch on their roster. If he's such a good player why does he have to accept a PTO?

In case Adams files a grievance when the team doctor flunks his physical.

I don't think this is a camp tryout, by the way. I think it's a "we can't sign you to a contract until after camp but we will" sort of thing.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
No, but I think banking on the fact that our bottom six will be vastly improved because we have multiple players that are journeymen is a little bit of an assumption. There is a reason these players are traded and signed by different teams every year, ever read Terry Ryan's book called A First Round Nothing?

I think it just speaks towards Rutherford's ability as a GM and also kind of fortifies what all the Canes fans were saying about him, is that he values players that aren't necessarily aspects of today's NHL anymore. Makes sense, dude has been a GM since '94. Thing is players like Carcillo have no place in today's game and that's why every single cup contender that had him, gave him away the season after they made a run. Also, I didn't realize a player that is a healthy scratch the majority of the season and playoffs can make an impact.

I don't know if you're having problems with pattern recognition or what, but the Penguins have been beaten the same way three years in a row. Troll their best players until they lose their minds->win. There's nothing "dated" about employing rats to play psychological games. Just this year all of Philly, Boston and us lost to that strategy. And that's just in the East.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
I don't know if you're having problems with pattern recognition or what, but the Penguins have been beaten the same way three years in a row. Troll their best players until they lose their minds->win. There's nothing "dated" about employing rats to play psychological games. Just this year all of Philly, Boston and us lost to that strategy. And that's just in the East.

They lost for a lot of different reasons one big one being depth. Last year the 3rd and 4th lines were garbage and Sid was nullified because of his line mates couldn't create offense.

Really besides the Philly series trolling our best players wasn't even one of the bigger issues.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
They lost for a lot of different reasons one big one being depth. Last year the 3rd and 4th lines were garbage and Sid was nullified because of his line mates couldn't create offense.

Really besides the Philly series trolling our best players wasn't even one of the bigger issues.

and signing Downie and offering Carcillo a tryout helps solve that issue as well...

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011

You don't see Staal cross-checking Sid in the head over and over, with no response from our lineup a problem? Not to mention we did zilch to troll the other teams' stars. There are other issues, but these are certainly things that needed fixing, and I'm glad to see we're finally getting around to it.

In the regular season, I'm sick of seeing teams singular focus being on getting our stars off their games. With guys like Downie and Carcillo out there, they'll have to worry about their stars.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
You don't see Staal cross-checking Sid in the head over and over, with no response from our lineup a problem? Not to mention we did zilch to troll the other teams' stars. There are other issues, but these are certainly things that needed fixing, and I'm glad to see we're finally getting around to it.

In the regular season, I'm sick of seeing teams singular focus being on getting our stars off their games. With guys like Downie and Carcillo out there, they'll have to worry about their stars.

When has this concept ever been true? The only thing that will happen is Carcillo will be goaded into taking stupid penalties on reputation based calls. You know, kind of like what happened right before his Game 7 winner against the Flyers. I don't see where people are getting the idea that Dan Carcillo has done anything but prevent five players being on the ice for whatever he took a penalty for. Does anyone not remember who sparked the turn in the Flyers / Pens series when we won the cup?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad