Confirmed with Link: Carcillo on try out contract

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Mad respect for your opinion usually Burgs, but man. This has got to be one of the most hyperbolic satements I have ever read on here. NOBODY is even insinuating that yet you are arguing the point as if that is the majority opinion around here.
We all want this team to win.
You CAN troll the league AND win at the same time. Trolling the league isn't mutually exclusive with losing.
You're assuming that this signing means that we will suddenly become losers, and carrying that assumption further, you are assuming that nobody will care so long as we get our league wide trolling mandate in.
Comon man!

You're interpreting way too much into what I said. It was mostly sarcasm stemming from my impression that a vocal part of the posters here seems downright traumatized by Adams and the general lack of toughness to the point that they'd cheer signing just about any goon simply because "at least he's better than Adams". Well, duh. I don't remember anyone on here complaining faster and louder than I did when he signed his 2 year deal last summer. I wanted him gone then, and I want him gone even more now. But what does he really matter in the gameplan? He's an old 4th liner and his biggest fan got fired. He can easily be replaced from within.

I completely agree that our bottom six needed much work. And I think it already was clearly better before this tryout. I even get why people would welcome Carcillo. Yes, we need to get tougher and more proactive in defending our own, and we need to draw at least a little of the opposition's aggression away from Sid and Geno. I just vehemently disagree about the who and how.

IMO Carcillo is way too much of an idiot to be trusted with doing this job. I hate that guy (no surprise there, I guess) and not just because of his stupid molester stache. He's not the type of guy who ends the abuse. He's someone who starts stupid crap because he likes to, consequences be damned. His antics can motivate the opponent just as well. What happened again after he fought Talbot in the 2009 playoffs? It cost the Flyers the game, we won the series and later the Cup. His 'trolling' can easily spin out of control and end up hurting us, in penalties and retaliatory fouls. We're not the only team to figure out that you'd have to send your goons not after their goons but after their core players. And why would our coaching staff be the first ones to reign him in? Nobody else in the league has been able to but rookie coach Johnston and his crew will? They have their hands full with implementing their new system. And already have Downie to manage, too.

I want us to play tough and smart from whistle to whistle, and walk away from the sideshow crap. I want Sid to return to being the Sid who had 3 teeth knocked out by Hatcher's high stick, returned to the game and scored two goals including the OT game-winner. There was a time when he thrived off being targeted. I want someone to sit Geno down and train him not to fly off the handle every other time he gets slashed. Some years ago we owned Philly and their 'trolling' to the point of sweeping the season series. Because the team was tough mentally as well. This kind of abuse will never stop if the other side feels we have no mental fortitude. And Carcillo has none either, only he flips out and attacks instead of wilting away. Neither are solutions.

Some of that mindset will hopefully be fixed by the new coaching staff who will take the chains off our tougher players and get our stars to focus again. The rest needs to be installed by players you can trust not to **** things up at the worst possible moment. Like I've said before, I want my agitators to be in control, and to instigate in a tactically smart way. That doesn't preclude them from playing tough and intense. Roberts was often pretty dirty, Armstrong liked to headshot vulnerable players, Ruutu was great at causing trouble, Godard would not waste time with niceties when brutality was needed, Rupp and Asham knew their jobs and did them well. But none was a ticking timebomb on the ice like Carcillo (except Cooke who was a much better overall player). Rebuilding a roster to that level of toughness can't be done in one off-season, I understand that, but IMO Carcillo won't help either now nor down the line.

Basically IMO it comes down to this: the people who want Carcillo want him for the same reasons several contenders acquired him in the past. And those who don't want him do so for the same reasons all these contenders discarded him shortly afterwards, and he's now going to be on his 5th team in 5 years. It doesn't make anyone losers or hypocrites (words I never used). Time will tell who's right. I think he's a net negative. I hope I'm wrong but I do not trust this player at all.

Finally...Malone? Penner?
Dear lord people. We are really reaching. If they were actual "potential" options on a team with obvious holes in the top 6 then they would have been brought in as well. These guys are NOT options for any teams top 6 and thinking so is revisionist history...not to mention grasping at straws in order to justify the negativity surrounding this signing.
Hell, bring back Bill Guerin then. He is a net front presence and about as fast as both Penner AND Malone.
I can't believe I am reading those names seriously.

Yes we are reaching but it's a big need and those are the only cheap options who might possibly be able to fill it. I doubt they can but I'd spend a tryout on them to find out. Malone is only two years removed from scoring 20 in 68. Why, in the opinion of many, can Downie get healthy and smarten up but the same would be impossible with Malone? And yes Penner is a lazy slug (even his name means 'bum' in German) but he's got a huge body to protect the puck and screen the goalie, and he's always done best with a great center which he'd have here. Both players have big drawbacks but they just might provide a missing element I think is important.

I specifically agree with the bolded part, why anyone would believe or think that PL3 is an NHL hockey player is beyond me. He's not even close to NHL caliber, and anyone claiming otherwise should probably stick to being a fan of WBS as thats where PL3 will be this year.

And it's where he should be, too. I was asked to name players in the organization who can provide toughness. PL3 would likely be the best fighter on the team if called up, so he is at least an option if we expected another Islanders type massacre. And unlike MacIntyre he wouldn't look completely out of his depth playing regular 4th line mins for a game or two.

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010
Say what you want about Carcillo (or Downie), they certainly fit the mold of what JR has targeted this off-season. Possession players, agitators, players who drive the net, and work the corners. Look at the difference.

Neal - Hornqvist
Jokinen - Spaling
Kobesew - Downie
Glass - Carcillo
Vitale - Goc
Pyatt - Comeau

Kunitz Crosby Dupuis
Hornqvist Malkin Bennett
Spaling Sutter Downie
Carcillo Goc Comeau
Adams :(

Each line has someone who is able to stir things up/agitate. I love it. Oh, plus, dump Scuderi (and Adams hopefully) when Maatta comes back and trade for a top six upgrade at the deadline.

And for all of you thinking Carcillo will cause cap problems, he doesn't. He will cost less than Megna and the same as Sill who he's fighting against for the same spot.
Sill and Megna can be the first call ups if they get beat out by Carcillo.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
carcillo is almost certainly not going to be an every day player, if he even makes it. i would love to see him and megna share time

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
carcillo is almost certainly not going to be an every day player, if he even makes it. i would love to see him and megna share time

pretty much this. Both would play when we have injuries though. Megna would be an excellent guy to have on the 4th line ready to move to the 3rd.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
i get so excited thinking about lineup flexibility. it's like 2013 all over again. you can go so many ways when you have even a bit of depth and players with very different styles. and of course a coach that's willing to move the third wingers around.

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010
pretty much this. Both would play when we have injuries though. Megna would be an excellent guy to have on the 4th line ready to move to the 3rd.

Oh I agree, I would have put that in the lineup I posted, but we'd have to move Adams for that to happen... Well, I suppose we could carry Megna when Maatta is on IR. Then Carcillo and Megs should rotate based on matchups.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Say what you want about Carcillo (or Downie), they certainly fit the mold of what JR has targeted this off-season. Possession players, agitators, players who drive the net, and work the corners. Look at the difference.

Neal - Hornqvist
Jokinen - Spaling
Kobesew - Downie
Glass - Carcillo
Vitale - Goc
Pyatt - Comeau

Kunitz Crosby Dupuis
Hornqvist Malkin Bennett
Spaling Sutter Downie
Carcillo Goc Comeau
Adams :(

Each line has someone who is able to stir things up/agitate. I love it. Oh, plus, dump Scuderi (and Adams hopefully) when Maatta comes back and trade for a top six upgrade at the deadline.

And for all of you thinking Carcillo will cause cap problems, he doesn't. He will cost less than Megna and the same as Sill who he's fighting against for the same spot.
Sill and Megna can be the first call ups if they get beat out by Carcillo.

Except the Pens lost a lot of top end scoring talent that isn't replicated and some of the players are poor possession players (Spaling, Carcillo).

Neal > Hornqvist
Jokinen >> Spaling
Stempniak >>>>> ?
Glass = Carcillo (if he makes the team)
Kobasew < Downie (depends on which Downie shows up to play)
Vitale < Goc
Pyatt < Comeau

So the Pens see improvements in the bottom 6, but even the most balanced teams see about 60% production from the top 6 where the Pens are leaning on Crosby and Malkin more than the last year [Source].

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Why do people compare post deadline rosters with those out of training camp?

Probably because most people don't even remember what the roster looked like out of training camp from last season, so it's easier to compare to the roster they remember.

For the record, however, here's the opening night roster from last season (and these were the lines and pairings used for the opening night game, based on ShiftChart):
Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Jokinen-Malkin-Neal
Bennett-Sutter-Kobasew
Glass-Vitale-Adams
scratch: Jeffrey
IR: D'Agostini

Orpik-Martin
Scuderi-Niskanen
Maatta-Bortuzzo
scratch: Engelland
IR: Letang

Fleury
Zatkoff
IR: Vokoun

We don't yet know what the current opening night roster will be, since camp hasn't even started yet, but taking a stab based on one-way contracts and the like, here are players that are gone, and who is replacing them:
Forwards:
Neal -> Hornqvist
Jokinen -> Spaling
Kobasew -> Downie
Glass -> Comeau
Vitale -> Goc
Jeffrey -> ? (probably one of Megna, Sill, Payerl or Carcillo)
D'Agostini -> Pick an AHL callup of your choice.

Defense:
Niskanen -> Ehrhoff
Orpik -> Despres
Engelland -> Samuelsson most likely (due to waivers)

Goalies:
Vokoun -> Greiss

Those aren't all precise one-to-one exchanges, but I figure that's close enough. Make whatever judgements you so choose.

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010
Except the Pens lost a lot of top end scoring talent that isn't replicated and some of the players are poor possession players (Spaling, Carcillo).

Neal > Hornqvist
Jokinen >> Spaling
Stempniak >>>>> ?
Vitale < Goc
Pyatt < Comeau

So the Pens see improvements in the bottom 6, but even the most balanced teams see about 60% production from the top 6 where the Pens are leaning on Crosby and Malkin more than the last year [Source].

Sorry I didn't include Stempniak because I was doing start of the season rosters, not post deadline. (Plus Stemps is replaced by Dupuis essentially). Carcillo is better than glass esp for this team. Bennett is replacing Jokinens offensive out put (hopefully). But the Spaling vs. Jokinen was more about board play, which is the only area Spaling beats him (maybe pure speed to). Hornqvist vs Neal is the same thing. Perimeter vs net front. But yes, the pure offensive output is lessened. But I still like the trade off because I like the other aspects the players bring.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Why do people compare post deadline rosters with those out of training camp?

Someone put Pyatt on the list who was a mid-season injury pick-up? Even if you take out Stempniak, they've improved the bottom 6 and lost two skill players in the top 6.

Plus I don't see a mid-season or deadline trade that is going to be worth the cost and add skill to the top 6. Rutherford is not a traditionally savvy GM trades-wise.

Sorry I didn't include Stempniak because I was doing start of the season rosters, not post deadline. (Plus Stemps is replaced by Dupuis essentially). Carcillo is better than glass esp for this team. Bennett is replacing Jokinens offensive out put (hopefully). But the Spaling vs. Jokinen was more about board play, which is the only area Spaling beats him (maybe pure speed to). Hornqvist vs Neal is the same thing. Perimeter vs net front. But yes, the pure offensive output is lessened. But I still like the trade off because I like the other aspects the players bring.

If you are doing rosters both Bennett and Dupuis were on the roster, and Dupuis played half a season. They aren't replacement players.

Funnily enough, the team is moving to too many grit and grind players and not enough skill players. And it still doesn't address the fact that Crosby and Malkin have to virtually single handedly drive 60-70% of the scoring. Even other top heavy teams, SJS for example, have better top 6 support.

Last edited:

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010
Someone put Pyatt on the list who was a mid-season injury pick-up? Even if you take out Stempniak, they've improved the bottom 6 and lost two skill players in the top 6.

Plus I don't see a mid-season or deadline trade that is going to be worth the cost and add skill to the top 6. Rutherford is not a traditionally savvy GM trades-wise.

If you are doing rosters both Bennett and Dupuis were on the roster, and Dupuis played half a season. They aren't replacement players.

Funnily enough, the team is moving to too many grit and grind players and not enough skill players. And it still doesn't address the fact that Crosby and Malkin have to virtually single handedly drive 60-70% of the scoring. Even other top heavy teams, SJS for example, have better top 6 support.

I used Pyatt instead of D'agostini, but the same comparison applies since they both stunk. I only said Dupuis replaced Stempniak because the other poster asked why I didn't include Stemps. The Bennett comment was based on the fact that Spaling won't replace Jokinens offense. But Bennett is now top six and Spaling where Bennett was last year. I hope that explains where I'm coming from.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
You're interpreting way too much into what I said. It was mostly sarcasm stemming from my impression that a vocal part of the posters here seems downright traumatized by Adams and the general lack of toughness to the point that they'd cheer signing just about any goon simply because "at least he's better than Adams". Well, duh. I don't remember anyone on here complaining faster and louder than I did when he signed his 2 year deal last summer. I wanted him gone then, and I want him gone even more now. But what does he really matter in the gameplan? He's an old 4th liner and his biggest fan got fired. He can easily be replaced from within.

I completely agree that our bottom six needed much work. And I think it already was clearly better before this tryout. I even get why people would welcome Carcillo. Yes, we need to get tougher and more proactive in defending our own, and we need to draw at least a little of the opposition's aggression away from Sid and Geno. I just vehemently disagree about the who and how.

IMO Carcillo is way too much of an idiot to be trusted with doing this job. I hate that guy (no surprise there, I guess) and not just because of his stupid molester stache. He's not the type of guy who ends the abuse. He's someone who starts stupid crap because he likes to, consequences be damned. His antics can motivate the opponent just as well. What happened again after he fought Talbot in the 2009 playoffs? It cost the Flyers the game, we won the series and later the Cup. His 'trolling' can easily spin out of control and end up hurting us, in penalties and retaliatory fouls. We're not the only team to figure out that you'd have to send your goons not after their goons but after their core players. And why would our coaching staff be the first ones to reign him in? Nobody else in the league has been able to but rookie coach Johnston and his crew will? They have their hands full with implementing their new system. And already have Downie to manage, too.

I want us to play tough and smart from whistle to whistle, and walk away from the sideshow crap. I want Sid to return to being the Sid who had 3 teeth knocked out by Hatcher's high stick, returned to the game and scored two goals including the OT game-winner. There was a time when he thrived off being targeted. I want someone to sit Geno down and train him not to fly off the handle every other time he gets slashed. Some years ago we owned Philly and their 'trolling' to the point of sweeping the season series. Because the team was tough mentally as well. This kind of abuse will never stop if the other side feels we have no mental fortitude. And Carcillo has none either, only he flips out and attacks instead of wilting away. Neither are solutions.

Some of that mindset will hopefully be fixed by the new coaching staff who will take the chains off our tougher players and get our stars to focus again. The rest needs to be installed by players you can trust not to **** things up at the worst possible moment. Like I've said before, I want my agitators to be in control, and to instigate in a tactically smart way. That doesn't preclude them from playing tough and intense. Roberts was often pretty dirty, Armstrong liked to headshot vulnerable players, Ruutu was great at causing trouble, Godard would not waste time with niceties when brutality was needed, Rupp and Asham knew their jobs and did them well. But none was a ticking timebomb on the ice like Carcillo (except Cooke who was a much better overall player). Rebuilding a roster to that level of toughness can't be done in one off-season, I understand that, but IMO Carcillo won't help either now nor down the line.

Basically IMO it comes down to this: the people who want Carcillo want him for the same reasons several contenders acquired him in the past. And those who don't want him do so for the same reasons all these contenders discarded him shortly afterwards, and he's now going to be on his 5th team in 5 years. It doesn't make anyone losers or hypocrites (words I never used). Time will tell who's right. I think he's a net negative. I hope I'm wrong but I do not trust this player at all.

Yes we are reaching but it's a big need and those are the only cheap options who might possibly be able to fill it. I doubt they can but I'd spend a tryout on them to find out. Malone is only two years removed from scoring 20 in 68. Why, in the opinion of many, can Downie get healthy and smarten up but the same would be impossible with Malone? And yes Penner is a lazy slug (even his name means 'bum' in German) but he's got a huge body to protect the puck and screen the goalie, and he's always done best with a great center which he'd have here. Both players have big drawbacks but they just might provide a missing element I think is important.

And it's where he should be, too. I was asked to name players in the organization who can provide toughness. PL3 would likely be the best fighter on the team if called up, so he is at least an option if we expected another Islanders type massacre. And unlike MacIntyre he wouldn't look completely out of his depth playing regular 4th line mins for a game or two.

Understand brotha. Completely.
I understand the baggage that he brings. I understand the potential risk.
But in turn, I am hoping that a coach who isn't BFF's with a crap player like Adams will be able to reign that aspect in. If he is costing the team, then simply don't play him. If he isn't good enough to help our horrific bottom six, then don't sign him (man it will be refreshing to have leadership that doesn't put out a worse lineup based on personal relationships).
Again, it isn't an absolute situation. There is a solution for your conundrum.

As far as the Malone/Penner's go? Why bring in guys who are absolutely and obviously washed up????
You say they "might" be able to fill a need.
I must ask you this simple question. Why are you willing to give them the benefit of the doubt when the evidence suggests that they absolutely CAN'T fill an organizational need yet you can't do the same for Carcillo who clearly and absolutely fills not just one, but SEVERAL organizational needs?
IMO, I would SOOOO SOOOO much rather bring in a guy like Peter Mueller. You want "potential" for the top 6? That is a guy whom I can get on board with.

And yes. We have upgraded our bottom 6 already. Yet Carcillo is still an upgrade over our 12th, 13th and so on forwards. So the bottom line remains. He simply fills a couple of needs that we are weak in. As do the others that we have signed this offseason. And if the past few seasons have taught us anything, we certainly need the depth in our line up.
We are a better team with this guy (or a player who fills these needs) than we are without him. Baggage or not, he adds to this team and makes it better. And more than ANYTHING else, that is what I care about at the end of the day. If this team is better or worse with ANY single given player.
I believe that we are better served with Carcillo as a 12th/13th forward than "Ferrari" Adams.

BTW (not exactly directed at you BURGS, but if you know, Id certainly love an answer), I have read in this thread about Adams "tattle telling" on players on the team, or kinda being a mole for Bylsma/Shero etc...I haven't heard about the story behind that, can anybody give me the juicy details????????

Novel over...back to cheesy/awesome 90's Jean Claude Van Damme movie marathon!

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Probably because most people don't even remember what the roster looked like out of training camp from last season, so it's easier to compare to the roster they remember.

For the record, however, here's the opening night roster from last season (and these were the lines and pairings used for the opening night game, based on ShiftChart):
Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Jokinen-Malkin-Neal
Bennett-Sutter-Kobasew
Glass-Vitale-Adams
scratch: Jeffrey
IR: D'Agostini

Orpik-Martin
Scuderi-Niskanen
Maatta-Bortuzzo
scratch: Engelland
IR: Letang

Fleury
Zatkoff
IR: Vokoun

We don't yet know what the current opening night roster will be, since camp hasn't even started yet, but taking a stab based on one-way contracts and the like, here are players that are gone, and who is replacing them:
Forwards:
Neal -> Hornqvist
Jokinen -> Spaling
Kobasew -> Downie
Glass -> Comeau
Vitale -> Goc
Jeffrey -> ? (probably one of Megna, Sill, Payerl or Carcillo)
D'Agostini -> Pick an AHL callup of your choice.

Defense:
Niskanen -> Ehrhoff
Orpik -> Despres
Engelland -> Samuelsson most likely (due to waivers)

Goalies:
Vokoun -> Greiss

Those aren't all precise one-to-one exchanges, but I figure that's close enough. Make whatever judgements you so choose.

Stuff like this is irritating because it is so obviously flawed in it's skewed concept.
Yes, we can say that Neal > Horny, but do we remember who it was who helped Neal become fraking Neal???? Yeah, the same guy who Horqvist will most likely play with. That is an intangible which we have absolutely no idea what the outcome will be. As in, what will Neal be like without Malkin and what will Horny be like WITH Geno.
Also, why are we comparing Juice with Spaling? Jesus, is that skewed to favor Juice. Spaling is a bottom 6 guy, brought in for the bottom 6, to upgrade the bottom 6. So if we are comparing him to a top 6 guy to fill a top 6 role then of course the outcome will favor the top 6 guy.
Furthermore, I disagree that Vitale > Goc (sorry, I know the love fest for Vitale on this board, but I never understood it), or Glass > Carcillo (are we effing serious here???), or even Vokoun> Greiss at this point. Or Jeffery being better than any of those guys whom he is listed with. Definitely disagree STRONGLY with Nisky > Ehrhoff or Orpi over anybody really at this point.

The bottom line is that this team is FAR FAR deeper and has legitimate NHL players throughout. Play the comparison game however you wish. I like the direction of this team compared to last years.

Maybe I am mis reading the "greater than" symbol being used here because some of these are so obviously wrong that I simply don't understand why anybody would use such a symbol?

ObsessedCreative*

Neal > Hornqvist
Jokinen >> Spaling
Stempniak >>>>> ?
Vitale < Goc
Pyatt < Comeau

Are you ****ing kidding me...

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Maybe I am mis reading the "greater than" symbol being used here because some of these are so obviously wrong that I simply don't understand why anybody would use such a symbol?

Pretty sure those are arrows to show transition, not greater than/less than.

As in the player who filled this role has been replaced by this other player.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Stuff like this is irritating because it is so obviously flawed in it's skewed concept.
Yes, we can say that Neal > Horny, but do we remember who it was who helped Neal become fraking Neal???? Yeah, the same guy who Horqvist will most likely play with. That is an intangible which we have absolutely no idea what the outcome will be. As in, what will Neal be like without Malkin and what will Horny be like WITH Geno.
Also, why are we comparing Juice with Spaling? Jesus, is that skewed to favor Juice. Spaling is a bottom 6 guy, brought in for the bottom 6, to upgrade the bottom 6. So if we are comparing him to a top 6 guy to fill a top 6 role then of course the outcome will favor the top 6 guy.
Furthermore, I disagree that Vitale > Goc (sorry, I know the love fest for Vitale on this board, but I never understood it), or Glass > Carcillo (are we effing serious here???), or even Vokoun> Greiss at this point. Or Jeffery being better than any of those guys whom he is listed with. Definitely disagree STRONGLY with Nisky > Ehrhoff or Orpi over anybody really at this point.

The bottom line is that this team is FAR FAR deeper and has legitimate NHL players throughout. Play the comparison game however you wish. I like the direction of this team compared to last years.

Neal is a more skilled and in my opinion more complete player at his best. Hornqvist basically has two things that he can do - work in front of the net and compete hard. He does those two things really well, but Hornqvist is not a skill player.

One exchange of a skill player for a really good character, grit and grind guy is fine. But the Pens also lost Jokinen who has no replacement. Plus the added Spaling, Downie, and Carcillo all of whom are more hard working, character guys rather than hard working, skill guys. Instead of worrying about being too soft, maybe they should be worrying about having too many of the same type of player.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Neal is a more skilled and in my opinion more complete player at his best. Hornqvist basically has two things that he can do - work in front of the net and compete hard. He does those two things really well, but Hornqvist is not a skill player.

One exchange of a skill player for a really good character, grit and grind guy is fine. But the Pens also lost Jokinen who has no replacement. Plus the added Spaling, Downie, and Carcillo all of whom are more hard working, character guys rather than hard working, skill guys. Instead of worrying about being too soft, maybe they should be worrying about having too many of the same type of player.

Downie is actually pretty skilled. And honestly, I think Hornqvist is closer to Neal in skill than you seem to. Not because I think Hornqvist is more skilled than you do, but because Neal really isn't that skilled. He has an incredible release on his wrist shot. Hornqvist trades that for netfront work. Outside of that one elite skill each, they are both pretty average top 6 players.

Jussi is definitely the biggest loss from last year. Hopefully a healthy Bennett all year can help make up that loss.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Ranger fan coming in peace. carcillo was a pleasant surprise for us last year. Personally I think he should've played over dorsett 100% of the time, and I wish we wouldve singned him in favor of that Glass fellow:shakehead:rant:

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
As far as the Malone/Penner's go? Why bring in guys who are absolutely and obviously washed up????
You say they "might" be able to fill a need.
I must ask you this simple question. Why are you willing to give them the benefit of the doubt when the evidence suggests that they absolutely CAN'T fill an organizational need yet you can't do the same for Carcillo who clearly and absolutely fills not just one, but SEVERAL organizational needs?

Because we have internal options as far as physical 4th liners go. What we don't have is a big winger who can score 15+ goals. Without a trade (if we could really get Stewart for Scuds and a pick, forget about these tryouts!) seeing what Malone/Penner still have to offer is the only short-term option.

IMO, I would SOOOO SOOOO much rather bring in a guy like Peter Mueller. You want "potential" for the top 6? That is a guy whom I can get on board with.

Sure but Mueller is off the market, he signed with the Blues back in July. There really isn't anyone good left out there.

BTW (not exactly directed at you BURGS, but if you know, Id certainly love an answer), I have read in this thread about Adams "tattle telling" on players on the team, or kinda being a mole for Bylsma/Shero etc...I haven't heard about the story behind that, can anybody give me the juicy details????????

Mark Madden (I think) told that story some weeks ago. He said one of the younger players told him how Adams would basically bully the young guys. And that they were calling him a narc because he'd have coffee every morning with Bylsma, ostensibly to report back about locker room stuff. Madden has been the only source for this, I don't remember anyone else confirming it. But it sounds believable given how close Bylsma and Adams were, and how Adams was never ever scratched despite his horrendous play.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Mark Madden (I think) told that story some weeks ago. He said one of the younger players told him how Adams would basically bully the young guys. And that they were calling him a narc because he'd have coffee every morning with Bylsma, ostensibly to report back about locker room stuff. Madden has been the only source for this, I don't remember anyone else confirming it. But it sounds believable given how close Bylsma and Adams were, and how Adams was never ever scratched despite his horrendous play.

I thought one of the writers hinted at it too.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Ranger fan coming in peace. carcillo was a pleasant surprise for us last year. Personally I think he should've played over dorsett 100% of the time, and I wish we wouldve singned him in favor of that Glass fellow:shakehead:rant:

Thanks for this, I tried to say earlier that rangers fans have nothing but good things to say about Carcillo, but a lot of people are still acting like he's a complete loose cannon that can't lineup for a face-off without foaming at the mouth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad