Confirmed with Link: Carcillo on try out contract

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don't know if you're having problems with pattern recognition or what, but the Penguins have been beaten the same way three years in a row. Troll their best players until they lose their minds->win. There's nothing "dated" about employing rats to play psychological games. Just this year all of Philly, Boston and us lost to that strategy. And that's just in the East.

Trolling players until they lose their mind.. hm. This has never happened to Dan Carcillo or Steve Downie before. Nope, they actually DETER this kind of behavior, huh?

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
Trolling players until they lose their mind.. hm. This has never happened to Dan Carcillo or Steve Downie before. Nope, they actually DETER this kind of behavior, huh?

its ok if you're 4th liners and secondary players get wrapped up in garbage. Thats the point. You want those guys in the middle of everything...not Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin :shakehead

when **** hits the fan...because it inevitably will, do you want Craig Adams telling everyone to calm down or Dan Carcillo making everyone calm down?

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Kind of guys needed on the 4th line. Grit, tenacity, **** stirring abilities. 1 year deal so he is hungry. I'd like to see him kept and used in certain situations.

I like the direction JR has went in with these bottom 6'ers. None of this 3 year ******** where a borderline NHL'er is guaranteed a spot night after night.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
its ok if you're 4th liners and secondary players get wrapped up in garbage. Thats the point. You want those guys in the middle of everything...not Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin :shakehead

when **** hits the fan...because it inevitably will, do you want Craig Adams telling everyone to calm down or Dan Carcillo making everyone calm down?

I have never seen Dan Carcillo make any player calm down and most of the times I've seen him in a scrum his team comes out with an extra two minutes. If that is what you want for fourth liners, sweet. Good luck with that. Can't wait until we finish in the bottom half of the Eastern Conference.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
When was the last time Carcillo was on a team that missed the playoffs? Did the Coyotes miss in his rookie year?

Sorry, take the high road with a guy like Gibbons, lose, and get beat up in the process. I'd rather win with players like Carcillo and ignore the whiney editorializing that comes with it.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
The way i look at it is, it's about time we got back to trolling/agitating opponents again. The Cookes's and the Ruutu's needed to creep back into the roster.

I don't consider them "bullies" cuz they aren't gonna smash peoples faces in on a nightly basis but they have the ability to drive opponents insane.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I have never seen Dan Carcillo make any player calm down and most of the times I've seen him in a scrum his team comes out with an extra two minutes. If that is what you want for fourth liners, sweet. Good luck with that. Can't wait until we finish in the bottom half of the Eastern Conference.

Look at the 2 years we went to the Cup, and some of the guys who were skating for us. Having guys like Carcillo on your team help when the refs start swallowing whistles. If you have Carcillo skating regular minutes, that would probably hurt the team. If you have him as a 4th liner who you send out there to dump a puck in and then run a defenseman through the end boards to give you team a bump when they are playing flat...he's perfect for that.

I subscribe to the theory that you always want the crazy guys on your side.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Look at the 2 years we went to the Cup, and some of the guys who were skating for us. Having guys like Carcillo on your team help when the refs start swallowing whistles. If you have Carcillo skating regular minutes, that would probably hurt the team. If you have him as a 4th liner who you send out there to dump a puck in and then run a defenseman through the end boards to give you team a bump when they are playing flat...he's perfect for that.

I subscribe to the theory that you always want the crazy guys on your side.

The refs never swallow theirs whistles for players like Carcillo. My dad is a Flyers fans, I watch the Kings. Every fanbase that employs him ends up hating his antics. Whatev. He is better than Adams at this point so.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009

ruutu always got unwarrented calls.

didnt seem to put us in the middle of the eastern conference

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I like almost any move to get away from the chess club and sweater vest feel this team has had for the past three years.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Wasn't Carcillo trolling the hell out of the Flyers in the Rangers vs Flyers series? He was a major distraction to the Flyers at times, while he just kept on playing. He scored 2 goals in the 3 games he played against the Flyers and a +2 in that series.

Carcillo's biggest gaffe last year?

Getting payback on Prust because Prust should have been tagged for his hit on Stepan and never was. Seems like the usual idiocy of the NHL Referee's.

Prust was suspended for his hit on Stepan after the game, Carcillo just wanted to get at him and the ref tried to hold him away from it.

I'd rather have that kind of guy than one that idly stands by and watches (*cough* Orpik & a lot of the ex Pens *cough*).

Even Biz Nasty would go after someone if they went after his team mates.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Glad to see the curse of pretty hockey haunts this fanbase. Never change, that's the Yinzer way.

There's a reason none of the 90's teams besides some legendarily stacked squads ever did anything in the playoffs while lesser teams won cups. There's also a lot of evidence that agitators like Ruutu and Cooke were pretty effective in the bottom 6 too.

Give me carcillo over adams, downie over the midget brigade any day. Keep your pretty, ineffectual hockey, thanks. I get enough of it overseas, anyway.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Not wanting mentally disturbed *******s who will eventually hurt the team through their viscious stupidity is not the same as wanting pretty ineffectual hockey. Not that Bylsma's dump and chase was that pretty anyway.

I want the Pens to be bigger and tougher, too. But just hiring some new cheapshot artists won't change much. The entire team needs to grow some balls and hopefully, with Johnston taking the chains off, will step up better to defend each other. We already have guys who can get nasty, they just weren't allowed to, or were stuck in the AHL. Let them play and use tryouts for positions of need. We still have a giant hole in the top 6 that needs to be filled before we can seriously contend. But apparently trolling the league is now more important than winning. :rolleyes:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Not wanting mentally disturbed *******s who will eventually hurt the team through their viscious stupidity is not the same as wanting pretty ineffectual hockey. Not that Bylsma's dump and chase was that pretty anyway.

I want the Pens to be bigger and tougher, too. But just hiring some new cheapshot artists won't change much. The entire team needs to grow some balls and hopefully, with Johnston taking the chains off, will step up better to defend each other. We already have guys who can get nasty, they just weren't allowed to, or were stuck in the AHL. Let them play and use tryouts for positions of need. We still have a giant hole in the top 6 that needs to be filled before we can seriously contend. But apparently trolling the league is now more important than winning. :rolleyes:

Adding Downie and Carcillo does absolutely nothing to keep us from filling the hole in the top 6. And Downie actually gives us one of our better stop-gap solutions for filling it right now. The dude has some legit talent if he is healthy.

Carcillo is a 4th liner who is competing with other 4th liners for a job. A job that we haven't even given him a real contract for yet. He does less than nothing to prevent us from filling a top 6 spot.

Also, who are these guys we have who would get nasty? Bortuzzo and who else? No, its just Bortuzzo. Sill if he makes the team. Sadly, he's like our 14th best forward. 15th with Carcillo here.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Adding Downie and Carcillo does absolutely nothing to keep us from filling the hole in the top 6. And Downie actually gives us one of our better stop-gap solutions for filling it right now. The dude has some legit talent if he is healthy.

People here said that in previous years as well when Shero sprinkled half a million here and 750k there on players we didn't really need. Every bit of cap space counts this season. Downie is a calculated risk (in more ways than one), I get why Rutherford would try that. But Downie hasn't been healthy in a while and given his style of play he won't stay healthy for long. His top 6 experience is limited to about two seasons as well. At least we're not handcuffing us with multi-year deals this time.

Carcillo is a 4th liner who is competing with other 4th liners for a job. A job that we haven't even given him a real contract for yet. He does less than nothing to prevent us from filling a top 6 spot.

After Carcillo getting the tryout Johnston said he's at the number of players he wants to open camp with. My point is moot if they invite someone else but I'm not happy with Carcillo getting a tryout over a guy with top 6 skill. And I'm pretty sure they will sign him, too.

Also, who are these guys we have who would get nasty? Bortuzzo and who else? No, its just Bortuzzo. Sill if he makes the team. Sadly, he's like our 14th best forward. 15th with Carcillo here.

Bort, Sill, Payerl, Farnham, PL3 if you want a pure fighter. Some months in probably McNeill. Kunitz and Letang can dish out hits, too, though they are not the guys you want in a scrum.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
People here said that in previous years as well when Shero sprinkled half a million here and 750k there on players we didn't really need. Every bit of cap space counts this season. Downie is a calculated risk (in more ways than one), I get why Rutherford would try that. But Downie hasn't been healthy in a while and given his style of play he won't stay healthy for long. His top 6 experience is limited to about two seasons as well. At least we're not handcuffing us with multi-year deals this time.
We need 12 forwards. I don't really know what you are getting at here. I guess that Sutter and Spaling are overpaid?
After Carcillo getting the tryout Johnston said he's at the number of players he wants to open camp with. My point is moot if they invite someone else but I'm not happy with Carcillo getting a tryout over a guy with top 6 skill. And I'm pretty sure they will sign him, too.
Who would you have preferred? What guys with top 6 skill are out there who are better than the guys we currently have fighting for top 6 spots?
Bort, Sill, Payerl, Farnham, PL3 if you want a pure fighter. Some months in probably McNeill. Kunitz and Letang can dish out hits, too, though they are not the guys you want in a scrum.

So Bort, two guys who will be competing for a spot with Carcillo, two AHL players with no business in the NHL, our 12th or 13th best available d-man and two guys we don't want in scrums. All Sill or Payerl needs to do is play better than Dan Carcillo and they should have that spot. Based on your opinions on Carcillo, that shouldn't be too hard. I'm assuming you don't want them taking a spot from Downie, who is simply better at playing hockey than everyone on that list.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Regarding Carcillo, those who are upset should chill until he makes the team. It's a tryout. No contract. The rest of us are kind of just happy he could possibly replace Adams and be a pest. Nothing more.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
We need 12 forwards. I don't really know what you are getting at here. I guess that Sutter and Spaling are overpaid?

No, that we already have enough bottom sixers and don't need to waste a tryout spot on another 4th liner. Sutter, Spaling, Dupuis, Downie, Goc, Comeau, Megna, Sill, Payerl and Adams. That's 10 players suited for the 3rd and 4th line. 9 if you move one up to play with Sid where there's still a whole on his RW.

Who would you have preferred? What guys with top 6 skill are out there who are better than the guys we currently have fighting for top 6 spots?

I want to see how much Ryan Malone has left. Or if Dustin Penner would gel with Geno. They're not awesome options but worth a tryout as they would bring some much-needed size to the top 6.

So Bort, two guys who will be competing for a spot with Carcillo, two AHL players with no business in the NHL, our 12th or 13th best available d-man and two guys we don't want in scrums. All Sill or Payerl needs to do is play better than Dan Carcillo and they should have that spot. Based on your opinions on Carcillo, that shouldn't be too hard. I'm assuming you don't want them taking a spot from Downie, who is simply better at playing hockey than everyone on that list.

Yes, Downie is above all these guys on the depth chart. But I see a bit of a logjam of gritty 4th liners on our team, or rather a lack of open spots for that type of player. And I see no point in bringing in Carcillo of all people.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
No, that we already have enough bottom sixers and don't need to waste a tryout spot on another 4th liner. Sutter, Spaling, Dupuis, Downie, Goc, Comeau, Megna, Sill, Payerl and Adams. That's 10 players suited for the 3rd and 4th line. 9 if you move one up to play with Sid where there's still a whole on his RW.

But Carcillo is better than 3 of those players, and 1 of those guys will be in the top 6.

I want to see how much Ryan Malone has left. Or if Dustin Penner would gel with Geno. They're not awesome options but worth a tryout as they would bring some much-needed size to the top 6.
Ryan Malone sucks. So does Dustin Penner. Neither is as good as Dupuis in the top 6. I'd rather bring in good bottom 6 guys than bad top 6 guys.
Yes, Downie is above all these guys on the depth chart. But I see a bit of a logjam of gritty 4th liners on our team, or rather a lack of open spots for that type of player. And I see no point in bringing in Carcillo of all people.
He is probably better than Adams, Sill and Payerl. Those are his competition for that 4th line spot most likely. Megna possibly, but that would be taking the 4th line a completely different direction. I would go that way, but if we are going with a grit guy in that spot, Carcillo is the best option we have.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Ryan Malone sucks. So does Dustin Penner. Neither is as good as Dupuis in the top 6. I'd rather bring in good bottom 6 guys than bad top 6 guys.

We already have bad top 6 guys in Dupuis and probably Spaling. If healthy, Malone and Penner could provide secondary scoring along with using their size in Johnston's puck possession game. That's why it would make sense to watch them in a tryout. If Malone's legs are gone, and if Penner can't even be bothered to move his ass on a tryout, then send them home. But the upside is much higher than with yet another 4th liner.

but if we are going with a grit guy in that spot, Carcillo is the best option we have.

Agree to disagree there. I think Carcillo comes with too much baggage to be a net positive. Sill only had a single minor penalty when he was up, and can win faceoffs. I prefer our agitators to be able to control themselves. And we already have Downie. One loose cannon we can probably handle but two of the biggest dirtbags at the same time? Tocchett better get those mythical coaching powers ready.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Yeah people are acting like b/c we have Hornqvist and Downie, we're good on netfront guys. From the sounds of it, MJ's system is all about wingers with size and netfront skill. Any lack of speed through the neutral zone can be mitigated with our group of centers and D handling the puck.

Like Burgs said, if Malone's toast, let another team take a chance on him.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Yeah people are acting like b/c we have Hornqvist and Downie, we're good on netfront guys. From the sounds of it, MJ's system is all about wingers with size and netfront skill. Any lack of speed through the neutral zone can be mitigated with our group of centers and D handling the puck.

Like Burgs said, if Malone's toast, let another team take a chance on him.

I don't care about Malone, I just think that Carcillo will cause more negatives than positives because that is all I hear from every fan base that has employed him. I think the fact that we've been starved for aggressive forecheckers the past two years that aren't horrible players like Tanner Glass, makes us like a shiny new toy like Carcillo or Downie. I think it is funny that when I first brought up bringing Downie into the fold in June most people thought it was a ridiculous proposition, especially if he played the occasional first line minutes. Now, we all love him and think he's going to put up 40 points.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Malone and Penner aren't providing secondary scoring. Not in 2014. Penner's numbers are deceiving. Had some success on Anaheim's first line, but moved off it he had sub-goon offense. Perry and Getzlaf, by contrast, started scoring a lot more once Beleskey was there. Beleskey's nothing. Average player., IMO. Only thing he brought to that line is he's not crap like Penner. And even that modest contribution was a pretty big deal.

Now that the bottom six doesn't have Swiss league players on it and toughness is rounding into form, the next weakness on my triage list that bears looking at is team speed. Penner and Malone exacerbate that weakness without providing much of anything to compensate. Memories of the past don't constitute contributions in my book.

Pens17

Aug 3, 2009
Glad to see the curse of pretty hockey haunts this fanbase. Never change, that's the Yinzer way.

There's a reason none of the 90's teams besides some legendarily stacked squads ever did anything in the playoffs while lesser teams won cups. There's also a lot of evidence that agitators like Ruutu and Cooke were pretty effective in the bottom 6 too.

Give me carcillo over adams, downie over the midget brigade any day. Keep your pretty, ineffectual hockey, thanks. I get enough of it overseas, anyway.

:nod: :yo: :handclap:

Carcillo, Downie along with Bort and Simon, and suddenly we have legitimacy! Just say no to being a speed bag ever again! Best of all, the personality transformation will occur spending only "chump change."

Fordy

May 28, 2008
The refs never swallow theirs whistles for players like Carcillo. My dad is a Flyers fans, I watch the Kings. Every fanbase that employs him ends up hating his antics. Whatev. He is better than Adams at this point so.

except the rangers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad