Pre-Game Talk: carbos

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
I still can't get that image out of my head of him drop-passing to a Bruin behind his own net although to be fair the whole Leafs team fell apart at the seams by then. Hopefully w/ the change of scenery he shakes that off, we'll just have to see.

We just did it again.

I'm now cheering for the Canes in the east and Avs in the west.

Go jerks!

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
We just did it again.

I'm now cheering for the Canes in the east and Avs in the west.

Go jerks!

Ooh the Canes/Avs social media teams are BFF's, that might cause a rift in the friendship :laugh:

BTW congrats to your team for their comeback Friday night. I know it was all for naught but damn it made for some great watching and proved again why the Stanley Cup Playoffs are the best. :handclap:

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Game 1: Tuesday 8/11 at 8 pm
Game 2: Thursday 8/13 at 8 pm
Game 3: Saturday 8/15 at noon
Game 4: Monday 8/17 at 8 pm
Game 5: Wednesday 8/19, time tbd*
Game 6: Thursday 8/20, time tbd*
Game 7: Sunday 8/23, time tbd*

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I would think Bruins fans are happy to draw the Canes. This is gonna be a tough one for sure. I think we have the tools to win, but good God stay out of the box.
We aren't at all, it was 45-9 on a vote for wanting to play the Islanders when it became clear it was one of the Islanders or Canes. We have some casuals that just look at last year's series but most are smart enough to know it's not the same thing, Canes have a bunch of young players that improved and experience is a big thing.

I'm hoping for a good series, but the Bruins have legitimately looked awful and with the uncertainty coming back there's not much else to go on. I do think they showed signs of life vs. Washington but there are way too many questions about the middle 6 wingers (which was exacerbated by the deadline acquisitions missing so much camp time) and the D-core was shockingly bad in the 4 games so far. They really struggled to handle the puck and that's a nightmare combination with the Canes having the best forechecking game in the league. Carlo in particular was awful, if they dump it into his corner with regularity it's going to be awful. McAvoy has also looked really bad on the top pair, along with Chara. I honestly can't say any defenseman has looked good.

I do think the top line struggles have been way overblown though. They have been buzzing the last couple games. Marchand does look off but Bergeron and Pastrnak look good. Marchand's legs and hands are there, he's just in one of those funks he gets in, overthinking things and forcing plays. The PP is also really off right now. Pastrnak didn't practice for the longest time and I know they barely practiced PP until really late in camp. It's one of those things that could click at some point, but they've already been trying different looks (they had Coyle on the first unit when they usually have DeBrusk in the net-front/puck retrieval role).

Krejci looks off right now. Coyle looks like his usual self though. But after that the forward group is really a question mark. 4th line looks good but that's not something that tips the scale in any way.

jiitu

Jun 17, 2013
Ok, Boston it is. I am scared, but on the other hand, I wanted to see this. I would be more scared of Philly right now.

Last year, Aho had clearly some injuries (althought didn't ever come much out about them) and now Svech is one year more mature and not coming off of concussion. Round robin should not be taken too seriously, but it's anyway not bad thing that B did not show that well there. I am also sure, Rod and whole team have had a lot of time (last summer and now still a week) thinking, what should they make different from last year.

I think there is a clear chance. Better than last year. I think it should be tight series. I'm scared to say anything too optimistic, but I really go from side t side. On one hand I think this is super moment to face them, on one side I am super scared. I really don't know what to think and you see it in this post. Just can't wait tuesday. After game 1 so much more can be said.

But one thing is that our lower lines need to produce. That is the key. I am very very happy if top line battle will be more or less even. The difference must come from lower lines.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
On the plus side we’re going to know if we’re for real this year really quick. Our weaknesses will likely be very clear and we’ll know if the trades worked.

Everything else about drawing the B’s is kinda ....woof.

Covid is the only thing that threw the B’s off their game, they just need to get in touch with it. I don’t take their play so far as anything to pay attention to. Those games didn’t mean much. We were playing for our lives, they had little concern about winning.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
the D-core was shockingly bad in the 4 games so far. They really struggled to handle the puck and that's a nightmare combination with the Canes having the best forechecking game in the league. Carlo in particular was awful, if they dump it into his corner with regularity it's going to be awful. McAvoy has also looked really bad on the top pair, along with Chara. I honestly can't say any defenseman has looked good.
idontbelieveyou.gif

But seriously, last year I thought defense was going to be the chink in the armor that the Canes exposed. Clearly that was wrong. Unless the Canes can make the Bruins other 3 lines look like the Rangers other 3 lines, exploiting their defense is really the only hope. If I hadn't recently watched the Bruins summarily dismantle the Canes, I would see this series as being similar to the matchup with the Rangers -- great 1st line, PP, goaltending, but mediocre forward depth and not-great defense -- but the Bruins being stronger across all of those areas (and other things, like PK).

My brain is tainted from having recently watched The Last Dance, but I've seen Aho as having something of Jordan-like mental approach to the game (SUPER focused, holding grudges, wanting to prove people wrong). If you'll allow the Bruins to be the Pistons, I think this is the 1990 NBA Eastern Conference Final, and I'm ready for that great show.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
3e3xltD.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad