Pre-Game Talk: carbos

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
I am seeing a lot of victim complex posts from B's fans on the main boards. Its amusing watching some essentially trying to convince people they're the underdog in this series against the big bad Canes.

Other fans are “poll trolling” them so I think that’s got them worked up lol.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
They swept us. The excuses we make about that sound like the excuses a Rangers fan not accepting what happened to them gives. They were a significantly better and deeper team.

Our skill players are a year better but our depth up front isn’t necessarily better unless Trochek and Necas step up. If they do there’s a difference, and having a second pp could help. Our defense is not better, I think it’s worse. Goaltending I think is not what it was last year but Reimer is better than Mcbackup.

I think the biggest thing, and this may be what he’s hinting at is this team isn’t the hard nosed grinding team that it was last year, not to the same level. We try to play more skilled. Other than some of the skill guys improving I don’t think we’re better. I doubt they think we’re better. We didn’t have a better season. Nothing has changed that would change their opinion so he’s fine saying it.

I think this comes down to them. If they’re as good as they were in the regular season we’re gonna struggle. If they’re as bad as they’ve been this week we’ve got a good chance.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Dom L has the Bruins winning percentage at 64.6%
Captain_Chaos.jpg

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
They swept us. The excuses we make about that sound like the excuses a Rangers fan not accepting what happened to them gives. They were a significantly better and deeper team.

Our skill players are a year better but our depth up front isn’t necessarily better unless Trochek and Necas step up. If they do there’s a difference, and having a second pp could help. Our defense is not better, I think it’s worse. Goaltending I think is not what it was last year but Reimer is better than Mcbackup.

I think the biggest thing, and this may be what he’s hinting at is this team isn’t the hard nosed grinding team that it was last year, not to the same level. We try to play more skilled. Other than some of the skill guys improving I don’t think we’re better. I doubt they think we’re better. We didn’t have a better season. Nothing has changed that would change their opinion so he’s fine saying it.

I think this comes down to them. If they’re as good as they were in the regular season we’re gonna struggle. If they’re as bad as they’ve been this week we’ve got a good chance.
respectfully disagree. We are more than capable of forechecking a team to death if it comes to it, but we prefer to showcase the skill a bit more this year than last because we have more skill this year than last. We are far deeper offensively this year than we were last.

And I also disagree that we are worse defensively this year than we were last year. We're different, but we're still very good, and don't get caught out of position very often, which doesn't allow too many A+ scoring chances, as we saw vs NY. And I'd say we are better at clearing the puck out of the zone and transitioning quickly to offense than we were last year, with that only improving if/when Hamilton comes back.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
respectfully disagree. We are more than capable of forechecking a team to death if it comes to it, but we prefer to showcase the skill a bit more this year than last because we have more skill this year than last. We are far deeper offensively this year than we were last.

And I also disagree that we are worse defensively this year than we were last year. We're different, but we're still very good, and don't get caught out of position very often, which doesn't allow too many A+ scoring chances, as we saw vs NY. And I'd say we are better at clearing the puck out of the zone and transitioning quickly to offense than we were last year, with that only improving if/when Hamilton comes back.
I can’t see being FAR deeper on offense. Necas, Trochek and an unknown Geekie. The first two make a great second line if they’re productive. And I said if they’re that then we ARE deeper. Trochek doesn’t have a point yet.

I think we’re just as scattered when pinned in our zone as we were last year. Of course our transitions are better, that’s what the team is designed to do and we keep shaping it that way. This isn’t the standard playoffs but the standard playoffs is being stuck in your end and grinding. We’re not better at that, and that is defense. We’re maybe a touch better at not being stuck back there in the first place than we were. Fluery and Edmunson are slam the puck off the boards when in trouble guys, as is TVR. That’s not transition, that’s merely clearing.

You can’t really point to the Rangers series. They didn’t put up a fight. I doubt that will be an issue here.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Hey Guys, Avs fan coming in peace.

Any word on whether Hamilton gets back in this series? Curious from a hockey pool perspective :laugh: I think you guys are running through the East this year so if Hamilton is gonna be healthy soonish I want to take him in a pool.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
I agree with this. However, I will say that the biggest difference this year to last is the strength down the middle. It's going to take a load off of Staal and Williams, which will hopefully allow them to match up against lesser-quality line. I also remember the bottom-6 getting their asses handed to them last year, but I don't think that's going to happen to Foegele/Staal/Williams and McGinn/Geekie/Martinook.

My prediction is that this series will continue be penalty-filled -- just as last year's ECF was, and the play-in series have been -- and that's to the advantage of BOS. CAR is going to look like world-beaters at times in this series when getting sustained even-strength time, but ultimately special teams will be their downfall.

Bruins in 6

Reactions: DaveG

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Hey Guys, Avs fan coming in peace.

Any word on whether Hamilton gets back in this series? Curious from a hockey pool perspective :laugh: I think you guys are running through the East this year so if Hamilton is gonna be healthy soonish I want to take him in a pool.
Uncertain, probably going to be decided on the last practise.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I agree with this. However, I will say that the biggest difference this year to last is the strength down the middle. It's going to take a load off of Staal and Williams, which will hopefully allow them to match up against lesser-quality line. I also remember the bottom-6 getting their asses handed to them last year, but I don't think that's going to happen to Foegele/Staal/Williams and McGinn/Geekie/Martinook.

My prediction is that this series will continue be penalty-filled -- just as last year's ECF was, and the play-in series have been -- and that's to the advantage of BOS. CAR is going to look like world-beaters at times in this series when getting sustained even-strength time, but ultimately special teams will be their downfall.

Bruins in 6
I won’t disagree with that. I don’t think we can get physical with them, I don’t think it’s our strong suit. I think their special teams are more proven and clutch. We put a lot of faith in a few guys up front, they need to match what the B’s do.

Reactions: DaveG and geehaad

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Bruins in 6

Yep, that's my comment earlier. If the Canes continue to go to the box at the same level (and I'm not sure why we'd expect it to be any different), they are going to have an even tougher time in this series.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
I don’t think we can get physical with them, I don’t think it’s our strong suit.
Right. My comment about the bottom-6 was more about not being outclassed, as opposed to out muscled. My hope is that they can absorb and outlast the physicality like they did during last year's series against WSH.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Uncertain, probably going to be decided on the last practise.

Thanks!

That would be huge for you guys. Bruins swept you last year but I really think that extra year of experience is going to benefit a tonne of your younger guys and I think you are a lot deeper then last year.

I think you guys take the Bs in 6 and then ride that momentum into a cup finals appearance at least. Hopefully for an eventual loss to my Avs ;)

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Seems like there are a number of unknowns. Given that our one and only regular season game 8 months ago with them was essentially a draw on their home ice with Reimer in net - until 4 mins left in the 3rd - then Gardiner had his snafu?

It was a tense and exciting game. Clark Bishop played in it. Slavin's shot went through the netting.

Here's a video recap

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
The Canes didn't do a good job of getting to the Bruins' defense on the forecheck last year either. Some thought that would be a big advantage going into that series with Chara being older/slower, Krug not being very big, etc... The Bruins totally neutralized that with their passing and forwards giving the D passing lanes. Puck was gone before the forecheckers got there.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
The Canes didn't do a good job of getting to the Bruins' defense on the forecheck last year either. Some thought that would be a big advantage going into that series with Chara being older/slower, Krug not being very big, etc... The Bruins totally neutralized that with their passing and forwards giving the D passing lanes. Puck was gone before the forecheckers got there.
That’s a huge part of it, will that be different this year? When we got more physical and really started chasing them they handed the physical right back and passed so well we never came close to putting on pressure.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
That’s a huge part of it, will that be different this year? When we got more physical and really started chasing them they handed the physical right back and passed so well we never came close to putting on pressure.

Hard to tell if it will be any different. My gut says no, but with all the time off, I don't know what to really expect. The Canes shouldn't be as mentally and physically spent as they were last year, so maybe it can be different if they are quicker to the D. If the Canes, as a whole, worked harder to keep in shape during the lay off, they could have an advantage (not saying they did work harder, I'm saying IF they did, it could have an impact). They don't need to be overly physical, just need to make it hard for the D to handle the puck and make plays by harassing them and taking away time and space. I guess part of it depends on who wants it more.

Regardless, IMO this series will come down to special teams play. Either a goalie needs to stand on his head, or the Canes need their special teams to outplay the Bruins. That's a tall task.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
In essence, this matchup is going to be about elite PP vs. elite PK and 5-on-5. People are trying to look at regular season numbers to justify predictions about what happens in the postseason. That's a dubious take at best, IMO. To me, a lot of the end results in playoff hockey are mental in nature. Again, the Hurricanes are going to be incredibly hungry because of last year's sweep, and that alone counts a lot. The emotional momentum, at least for now, is clearly on the Canes' side. It's a big reason why I also see Tampa obliterating Columbus the second time around. Also, our stats this postseason, at least to start, have been amazing on both ends of the ice. Right now, they're playing incredibly well, maybe at an even higher level than when we went on our big ECF run.

Last edited:
Reactions: Svechhammer

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
From the Athletic’s latest series prediction article (2 out of 3 scouts/coaches/execs pick BOS):

“Sebastian Aho is a star. That guy is a star. Jaccob Slavin is a star that people don’t talk about enough. I like what those coaches have done,” said the coach. “Rod (Brind’Amour) has done a great job with a kooky owner who doesn’t want to pay for oatmeal. All the shit he’s had to deal with behind the scenes. The way they play — the discipline and the structure, they’re the same as the Islanders. They’re just good.”

Reactions: Stickpucker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad