Pre-Game Talk: carbos

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
In general I loved our defense against the Rangers. Am I the only one who is a bit concerned with Sami Vatanen? To me he got walked too much for my comfort against skillful, dancing Rangers forwards. I could see the same thing against Marchand/Pastrnak. Fortunately Sami's offense was fantastic, and largely made up for it.

It'd be a moot point if Hamilton is comfortable enough to play as the #1RD.

I agree with everybody that we need to stay out of the farking box.
Vatanen wasn’t great the third game as 1RHD. Vatanen as 2RD, even better

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Advanced analytics are cool but Rod continues to give Gardiner the most sheltered minutes of any defender. 1st and 3rd game he played 4 less minutes than Fleury who had the 2nd lowest number by a decent amount. The 2nd game Gardiner play 4 seconds more than Fleury, who played his lowest minutes of the series. I don’t see how we take out a guy playing 18-20 minutes a night for a guy playing 8-13 minutes a night. IMO Gardiner’s numbers only look great because he is given the most favorable situations.

Rod doesn’t agree with Gardiner’s signing and is letting it be known by his time on the ice.

The reduced ice time had a lot to do with us taking so many penalties and Gardiner not being used to kill penalties like someone such as, say, Slavin or Edmundson (This could be an argument in favor of a Gardiner-Eddy pairing, though I think that Fleury can kill penalties pretty well, too). Even when he is given longer ice time, his analytics have mostly been very good. It isn't just a one time thing, it's been happening throughout his career. Also, Rod hasn't benched him once throughout the whole year.

Last edited:

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
The reduced ice time had a lot to do with us taking so many penalties and Gardiner not being used to kill penalties like someone such as, say, Slavin or Edmundson (This could be an argument in favor of a Gardiner-Eddy pairing, though I think that Fleury can kill penalties pretty well, too). Even when he is given longer ice time, his analytics have mostly been very good. It isn't just a one time thing, it's been happening throughout his career. Also, Rod hasn't benched him once throughout the whole year.
While that was true game one, it wasn’t game 3. We had the lowest total of PK time of the three games in game 3. Game 1 had almost the same as 2 & 3, combined.
Regular season: ES
Slavin: 19:19
Pesce: 18:16
Skjei: 17:49
Hamilton: 17:43
Edmundson: 15:33
Gardiner: 14:45
TVR: 13:32
Fleury: 12:45

the only change in the ranks based on total TOI/G is Hamilton jumped to 2nd. Even then Gardiner was still protected as the 5th defender in games.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
lol at the "quoting for later" guy on the Series Talk thread in the main board. People predicting a Canes win gets him so...angry.
He’s going all about it all wrong. Just predict your team to win, trash talk a little bit, then when your team wins go back and like the posts where people guessed wrong. This guy is way too on the nose with his trolling. It’s kind of adorable to watch.

Reactions: DaveG and cptjeff

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
While that was true game one, it wasn’t game 3. We had the lowest total of PK time of the three games in game 3. Game 1 had almost the same as 2 & 3, combined.
Regular season: ES
Slavin: 19:19
Pesce: 18:16
Skjei: 17:49
Hamilton: 17:43
Edmundson: 15:33
Gardiner: 14:45
TVR: 13:32
Fleury: 12:45

the only change in the ranks based on total TOI/G is Hamilton jumped to 2nd. Even then Gardiner was still protected as the 5th defender in games.

Doesn't surprise me too much. Rod is IMO sometimes too conservative with his lineup choices and ice time allocation. Even so, Eddy's only getting a minute more ES ice time than Gardiner is, which does bolster the argument that the bulk of Eddy's extended ice time is PK-based. With the kinds of penalty differentials that we've had the whole year, that's not a huge surprise.

Reactions: Tryamw

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Justin Williams gon be like

giphy.gif

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Doesn't surprise me too much. Rod is IMO sometimes too conservative with his lineup choices and ice time allocation. Even so, Eddy's only getting a minute more ES ice time than Gardiner is, which does bolster the argument that the bulk of Eddy's extended ice time is PK-based. With the kinds of penalty differentials that we've had the whole year, that's not a huge surprise.
The wildest thing is Fleury surpassed him in ES time after Hamilton and Pesce went down. Skjei did as well even though not knowing the system. Unless he somehow blows Roddie away he’ll be at best the 5th defender here. Knowing that we’ll want a strong PK game against Boston, Ed will be in and without Pesce in, Fleury might be in too.

Reactions: LostInaLostWorld

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
It's just makes less and less sense the more I think about it! What do these two teams even have to do with each other, and even if you mistook the Islanders for the Rongos, we swept THEM. And the fact they got that "stock photo" sad pic of Joel, like WHAT?
It makes perfect sense. It’s only a couple degrees of separation away.

The Florida Panthers lost to the islanders.

Florida Panthers is basically the Carolina Panthers, but that can’t be right since they play eggball, not stickpuck. Obviously the team we need for the headline is the Carolina Hurricanes.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
It makes perfect sense. It’s only a couple degrees of separation away.

The Florida Panthers lost to the islanders.

Florida Panthers is basically the Carolina Panthers, but that can’t be right since they play eggball, not stickpuck. Obviously the team we need for the headline is the Carolina Hurricanes.
Truly a dizzying intellect...

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Leaf fan coming in peace.

Please beat the crap out of the Bruins.
And remember, if you find yourself in a game 7, sit Jake Gardiner.

I still can't get that image out of my head of him drop-passing to a Bruin behind his own net although to be fair the whole Leafs team fell apart at the seams by then. Hopefully w/ the change of scenery he shakes that off, we'll just have to see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad