Carabao Cup 2020/21

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Wenger could have dealt with Arsenal's problems from a position of strength when they were still a legit contender and top team in Europe. Instead he allowed it to deteriorate to a situation where you have a borderline top 6 squad who get their pride from winning other competitions de-prioritized by their title rivals and being better than Everton South i.e. Spurs.

It was a classic situation where Arsenal were in a downward trajectory and he jumped off halfway down. Hiring meh managers afterwards hasn't helped, but it's also an easy situation to look like a 'meh' manager.
Wenger did the best he could with the financial backing he got towards the end, maybe not in 17/18 but he never underacheived.

I mean most of our problems come from the fact that we hired two absolutely incompetent coaches to follow up our biggest legend, so I'd say sacking Arteta and hiring someone genuinely good would solve a lot of things.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I don't think the transfer strategy was entirely beyond Wenger's responsibility. And Arsenal has been unable to recruit and sign good defensive players for a long long time. Wenger shaped the culture of Arsenal as the pretty, creative one among the Premiership's top sides, and it's almost like the club embraced that having forgotten that its glory years under Wenger had more to do with Patrick Vieira than just about any other player.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I don't think the transfer strategy was entirely beyond Wenger's responsibility. And Arsenal has been unable to recruit and sign good defensive players for a long long time. Wenger shaped the culture of Arsenal as the pretty, creative one among the Premiership's top sides, and it's almost like the club embraced that having forgotten that its glory years under Wenger had more to do with Patrick Vieira than just about any other player.

The sides with Vieira played the most pretty, creative football in the league. Ironically, if we had a world class midfielder who could win the ball like Vieira we would have won the league 3-4 times in the 2010s. That was the exact profile we missed.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
The sides with Vieira played the most pretty, creative football in the league. Ironically, if we had a world class midfielder who could win the ball like Vieira we would have won the league 3-4 times in the 2010s. That was the exact profile we missed.
If you added a world class talent in a position of need to any of the top 6 teams, they’d win the league multiple times.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W

Thing is he never replaced Vieira with a player like that. Don't know if he even tried. Imagine Arsenal signs Kante a few years ago. It'd be a different team. The team never gained the stability again without an anchor like that.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I couldn't watch the match, but I told you lot like a month ago that Arsenal is one goalkeeper injury away from actually being relegated.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Thing is he never replaced Vieira with a player like that. Don't know if he even tried. Imagine Arsenal signs Kante a few years ago. It'd be a different team. The team never gained the stability again without an anchor like that.

Kante actually begged to come to us in 2016. Gazidis chose Xhaka instead.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00