Confirmed with Link: [CAR/VAN] Canucks acquire D Ethan Bear (18% retained), C Lane Pederson for 5th Round Pick in '23

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Absolutely.

Bruce is saying is he wants to help Bear regain his confidence after being pushed out of the line-up in Caroline.

That is what Bruce is known for.
kind of funny for him to say it out loud though. i guess one of the perks of being a 600 game winner.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
he played like 40 games after he caught covid. if he wasn't in game shape why'd he keep getting put back in? fact is he lost his spot in carolina because he's not reliable, not because of fitness

not reliable doesn't mean not good. it just means he's gonna make mistakes that cost the team. he *probably* makes up for it with what he brings but coaches hate mistakes so we'll have to see how much boudreau can tolerate from him
Wrong there Debbie Downer....clearly, his play diminished after his bout with covid..Read up on long covid issues....Like any pro, he wanted to play, and tried to play through it last season.

In his interview today he stated that his covid symptoms (couldn't breathe) lasted right till the end of last season..

Start at 2.40..

Reactions: brock hughes007

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
This seems like a reach.

It’s no secret that Bear has struggled and been a healthy scratch and these are pretty benign comments on the safe assumption that the player probably isn’t filled with confidence right now.

Absolutely.

Bruce is saying is he wants to help Bear regain his confidence after being pushed out of the line-up in Caroline.

That is what Bruce is known for.
Bear is a regular bottom pairing defenceman and occasionally can step into the top 4. Boudreau speaks as if Bear was a bonafide top 4 D-man for years in the league. He doesn't even have 200 NHL games, same level as a guy like Brisebois. These are roughly equal talent players, except some young guys had more opportunities than others.

All of their trades recently are for under 25, tweener players.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Bear is a regular bottom pairing defenceman and occasionally can step into the top 4. Boudreau speaks as if Bear was a bonafide top 4 D-man for years in the league. He doesn't even have 200 NHL games, same level as a guy like Brisebois. These are roughly equal talent players, except some young guys had more opportunities than others.

From what the reports say..Carolina traded for Bear to be a top 4 D man (with the departure of Dougie Hamilton)..and thats precisely where he played until he got covid.

Comparing him to career minor leaguer Brisebois is way off base.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

What in the actual?

Brisebois is an AHL journeyman who has had 1 good NHL game in his life. Bear has been effective playing 20+ minutes in the NHL over a full season.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I don't know why Bear would be playing over Myers/Schenn/Burroughs on the right side, especially with the team coming off two wins. I'm sure he'll get his chance, but no rush to get him in there.

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
I really liked what Bear brought to the table in his first full season with Edmonton. He did a decent job with a firly heavy workload with over 20 minutes a game on average. He regressed somewhat and was squeezed out on the 'Canes blueline, but hopefully with a change of environment and a shot at a regular shift he can regain some of the form he showed with the Oilers.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
one other detail is that he settled for $2.2m when his qualifying offer was $2m. which means he used the threat of going ahead with arbitration to get $200k out of the canes. i doubt the team ownership appreciated that. it may explain why he did not sniff the ice this year.

Capfriendly has his QO $2.4m, other report it as $2m?

For guys like Bear arbitration is often seen as a safety net to assure he has a contract. Contacts talks aren't going well, he doesn't know if he'll get a deal done, so he elects for arbitration to ensure he has a deal before the season starts if negotiations fail. It is a fallback to stop the team stonewalling. In Bear's case it never made it to arbitration.

Last edited:

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
if the coaching staff can work with ethan bears game he will be in the top 4 group in no time. can skate the puck out and gets pucks on net when he has a chance. maybe hughes bear pairing down the line..? hmm who knows. wished van gotten him earlier in the summer. he was made available to 31 other teams but guess nobody was interested or tight capwise.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
if the coaching staff can work with ethan bears game he will be in the top 4 group in no time. can skate the puck out and gets pucks on net when he has a chance. maybe hughes bear pairing down the line..? hmm who knows. wished van gotten him earlier in the summer. he was made available to 31 other teams but guess nobody was interested or tight capwise.
I think your expectations are a little too high. Jalen Chatfield, who couldn't even make it on the Canucks, beat out Bear on a much better Carolina team.

Reactions: David71

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I think your expectations are a little too high. Jalen Chatfield, who couldn't even make it on the Canucks, beat out Bear on a much better Carolina team.

There's more nuance to it then that though.

Chatfield plays a safer game then Bear does, which is a better fit in the role that Carolina is using him in, as their 6-7. Bear wasn't getting the special teams time in Carolina he likely will in Vancouver. They also have a stacked top 4 compared to ours.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
easy w for vancouver.
There's no guarantee its going to work out with Bear in Van ..I was initially opposed to trading for him because I didnt want to give up a good asset for him...After a deeper dive into whats transpired with this player the last two years, I'm definitely more optimistic now.

For what we gave up to acquire him, it was a no brainer to give him an opportunity here.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
There's more nuance to it then that though.

Chatfield plays a safer game then Bear does, which is a better fit in the role that Carolina is using him in, as their 6-7. Bear wasn't getting the special teams time in Carolina he likely will in Vancouver. They also have a stacked top 4 compared to ours.

It's incredible what structure can do to a player's game - a defined role can change an athlete's mentality for the better.

Brind'Amour is a fantastic coach.

Reactions: Nucker101

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
There's no guarantee its going to work out with Bear in Van ..I was initially opposed to trading for him because I didnt want to give up a good asset for him...After a deeper dive into whats transpired with this player the last two years, I'm definitely more optimistic now.

For what we gave up to acquire him, it was a no brainer to give him an opportunity here.
given the cost and vancouvers circumstances it was an easy decision.

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
Great patience by the management team to wait until Carolina came down with their offer. 5th round pick for a RHD with upside + a very good AHL player is a steal.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
On the subject of 'age gap' players, it should be noted that there are two *very* different types of players that fans tend to lump together as being the same thing.

1) The failing prospect at the end of their waiver eligibility. These players are usually 23 and were much-hyped high picks who haven't been able to make the next step and who organizations are now trying to pawn off for an asset before they lose them on waivers.

2) The actual NHL player who has stagnated. These players are normally 24-25 and actually did make the step to the NHL and have shown effective NHL play in the past and spent full seasons on NHL rosters, but have fallen off or fallen out of favour with their teams.

Guys in (2) have a way, way, way higher success rate than guys in (1). The second group has actually shown NHL ability but are struggling and not in the right situation, and a new team and better opportunity often returns them to form. The first group have never shown NHL ability and teams are hoping that maybe the potential they showed age 18-20 can be rekindled.

Virtually all of Jim Benning's 'age gap acquisitions' were the first type of player. Vey, Baertschi, Pouliot, Etem, Granlund. And they stunk.

When you look at what Florida did to turn their team around, they went huge for the second type of player and knocked it out of the park. Bennett, Forsling, Duclair, Verhaege, Montour. Pat Quinn also knocked it out of the park on this type of asset for the Canucks in the early 1990s - Ronning, Lumme, etc.

Studnicka is (1). Bear is (2). Dermott was also (2). I always like picking up guys in (2).

I'll also add that I hate the term 'age gap'. That was something specific to the mid-2010s Canucks when they specifically decided they needed more players in the 1991-94 DOB range to bridge a gap in their roster between the 80s-born veterans and the 'young core' coming up. It shouldn't apply at all to acquisitions now when we have tons of Petterssons and Hugheses in the same age range as these guys.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
"Age gap" is the new "goalie graveyard".

It's so dumb. Trading a small asset for a reclamation project is one of the most common types of transactions in this league. Every team does this here and there.

But because the previous group turned it into a weird part of a plan, gave it a name, and then did it really really badly ... everyone here freaks out when the team makes a totally normal small transaction.

This fanbase right now is like a traumatized assault victim who thinks their attacker might be lurking around every corner and sees their attacker in every face on the street.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
On the subject of 'age gap' players, it should be noted that there are two *very* different types of players that fans tend to lump together as being the same thing.

1) The failing prospect at the end of their waiver eligibility. These players are usually 23 and were much-hyped high picks who haven't been able to make the next step and who organizations are now trying to pawn off for an asset before they lose them on waivers.

2) The actual NHL player who has stagnated. These players are normally 24-25 and actually did make the step to the NHL and have shown effective NHL play in the past and spent full seasons on NHL rosters, but have fallen off or fallen out of favour with their teams.

Guys in (2) have a way, way, way higher success rate than guys in (1). The second group has actually shown NHL ability but are struggling and not in the right situation, and a new team and better opportunity often returns them to form. The first group have never shown NHL ability and teams are hoping that maybe the potential they showed age 18-20 can be rekindled.

Virtually all of Jim Benning's 'age gap acquisitions' were the first type of player. Vey, Baertschi, Pouliot, Etem, Granlund. And they stunk.

When you look at what Florida did to turn their team around, they went huge for the second type of player and knocked it out of the park. Bennett, Forsling, Duclair, Verhaege, Montour. Pat Quinn also knocked it out of the park on this type of asset for the Canucks in the early 1990s - Ronning, Lumme, etc.

Studnicka is (1). Bear is (2). Dermott was also (2). I always like picking up guys in (2).

I'll also add that I hate the term 'age gap'. That was something specific to the mid-2010s Canucks when they specifically decided they needed more players in the 1991-94 DOB range to bridge a gap in their roster between the 80s-born veterans and the 'young core' coming up. It shouldn't apply at all to acquisitions now when we have tons of Petterssons and Hugheses in the same age range as these guys.

Agree here. Any method that limits overpaying for players on the trade market or in free agency is the way to go. Whether that is weaponizing cap space, or buying low on players. Since we aren’t rebuilding, we really don’t have anything in the prospect pool, and aren’t in a position to weaponize cap space, this isn’t a bad way to try to improve the team.

Having a Dman under 30 that can play in the top 4 is a huge need. If Bear returns to form I see him more as a 4/5, and I don’t think he has much more upside than that. Ideally I would want someone with more upside but beggars can’t be choosers, and we really didn’t give up anything. It may also allow to trade Myers, and if we also move a winger we may actually be in an okay cap situation.

I do think eventually we will have to bite the bullet and pay the price for someone better though if we really want to compete with this group. If we don’t want to do that than trying to find gold in a trade like this is the only other option.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
It's so dumb. Trading a small asset for a reclamation project is one of the most common types of transactions in this league. Every team does this here and there.

But because the previous group turned it into a weird part of a plan, gave it a name, and then did it really really badly ... everyone here freaks out when the team makes a totally normal small transaction.

This fanbase right now is like a traumatized assault victim who thinks their attacker might be lurking around every corner and sees their attacker in every face on the street.

Reactions: Bojack Horvatman

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013

It would be a non issue if there wasnt already parallels and they didnt literally say the same justifications as the last idiots..

You want to complain about specifics on player types, the specific players are good targets, but thats the opposite of the point that generally speaking the similarities are a concern.

As you state ppl are raising said concerns because of the previous regime and traumatic decade.

But we changed management to the best most progressive in the world, so its disappointing to some that it seems very similar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad