Confirmed with Link: [CAR/VAN] Canucks acquire D Ethan Bear (18% retained), C Lane Pederson for 5th Round Pick in '23

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
oel wasn't good last year. he wasn't terrible and wasn't beat in obvious ways like he is this year but he really struggled to do the things you need to do to be a good nhl defender. he was the key reason the penalty kill was awful

fans just really wanted him to be good and made a ton of excuses for him
well like i mean he was advertised as a norris level all situations one d

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Also worth noting that Jalen Chatfeild outplayed Bear for a roster spot.
The same Chatfield who was our #8 on one of the leagues worst defenses when he was here... which doesnt look good for Bear...

But then again, Chatfield is a regular for the elite defensive Canes so basically nothing makes sense anywhere anytime anyplace

giphy.gif

crazy-weird.gif

tumblr_mym5n9yWJA1rufl3do1_500.gif

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
The way drance explains it is Chatfield plays a game that's a much better fit within Brind'amour's system then Bears is. Safer more responsible etc.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
in the 2019/2020 season, Bear played some major minutes.
pretty much over 20 minutes every night and he played 23 minutes + almost 30 games that season.
If we can get solid play out of him for 20 minutes a night, that's a major win.
I wonder if he could play with Hughes and let OEL/Myers try to regain their form from last year.
then on the third pairing, not sure what you do, maybe Rathbone / Schenn ?

Reactions: bossram

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
I'm hoping Bear will have a resurgence similar to another defenceman who couldn't crack the 'Canes roster and was eventually claimed off waivers by Florida.

• Love
Reactions: quat and racerjoe

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Seems like Bears career was on an upward trajectory until he caught covid..He got slammed pretty hard with it,badly affecting his breathing and cardio..It’s been somewhat of a downward spiral since then.

Reactions: Oldracer

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Seems like Bears career was on an upward trajectory until he caught covid..He got slammed pretty hard with it,badly affecting his breathing and cardio..It’s been somewhat of a downward spiral since then.
Question is, if this is the issue, how do we get him back to normalcy? I hope the Canucks have some good doctors/nutritionists who can help him make a full recovery.

If he can end up playing at a top 4 level, with Burroughs also in the picture, the right side for the Canucks ends up not looking too bad.

3 top 4 RHDs in Burroughs, Bear and Myers is pretty good actually. Obviously everyone wants that 1st pairing RHD, but it's really not a bad situation to have 3 guys who could, conceivably, play in the top 4 without looking horrible.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, that will be the question with Bear. Is he recovered and healthy? Presumably the team has done their homework on this?

He started last year pretty well - 16-2-4-6 +8 playing about 18:20/game. Then after he came back, he apparently stunk.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
bear's problem isn't conditioning or health. it's that he's prone to costly mistakes and coaches eventually lose trust in him and play worse players over him. that's why he gets scratched for players like chatfield and kris russell. they're definitely not as good but they won't be visibly and aggravatingly bad a couple plays a game

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Bear fixes some of our issues in the present but I didn't think he was particularly good on either the Oilers or the Canes, and both teams let him go. I mean, the OIlers...their defence could use literally anyone decent.

I've always found he looks solid but then makes a Sbisa-esque play.

Issue is that he's not a defenceman on a contending team, and I want us to be a contending team. Neither is Stillman. Surely more depth could have been added in the off-season without paying some of these prices.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
bear's problem isn't conditioning or health. it's that he's prone to costly mistakes and coaches eventually lose trust in him and play worse players over him. that's why he gets scratched for players like chatfield and kris russell. they're definitely not as good but they won't be visibly and aggravatingly bad a couple plays a game

he's the defenceman equivalent of a top 6 or bust forward. he's subpar as a reliable dman, and needs to produce enough to be given rope to freelance and justify prime deployment. he may have to reinvent himself to stay in the league. it's an interesting pick up given rutherford's recent comments about the need for systems hockey that replacement players can step into and play. he's not that kind of dman.

aside from his inconsistent play i think dollars might be a factor here given it is the canes. bear got himself into the hutton zone where as a rfa his arbitration value exceeded his value to the team. that never ends well even on teams that have no internal budget. instead of just letting him walk, they signed him on a one year deal to try and recover value.

one other detail is that he settled for $2.2m when his qualifying offer was $2m. which means he used the threat of going ahead with arbitration to get $200k out of the canes. i doubt the team ownership appreciated that. it may explain why he did not sniff the ice this year.

Reactions: mossey3535

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Who is he going to push out of the lineup? I don't see a fit for him with this group. Hughes needs a defensive dman and they probably won't break up OEL-Myers. Rathbone and Bear would be terrible defensively.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
As usual, you're ill informed..Prior to catching covid, he was playing in the Canes top 4.

Reactions: sting101

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Bear fixes some of our issues in the present but I didn't think he was particularly good on either the Oilers or the Canes, and both teams let him go. I mean, the OIlers...their defence could use literally anyone decent.

I've always found he looks solid but then makes a Sbisa-esque play.

Issue is that he's not a defenceman on a contending team, and I want us to be a contending team. Neither is Stillman. Surely more depth could have been added in the off-season without paying some of these prices.
The book on him appears to be that he is very good at transitioning the puck out of his pwn zone (which the Canucks desperately need)..but the flip side of that, is that he is prone to giving up turnovers.

The way Bear performs under Boudreau could be completely different than how he was utilized (and marginalized) by Brind'a'mour..Tyler Myers definitely improved under Boudreau..hopefully it works out for Bear.

Last edited:

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
one other detail is that he settled for $2.2m when his qualifying offer was $2m. which means he used the threat of going ahead with arbitration to get $200k out of the canes. i doubt the team ownership appreciated that. it may explain why he did not sniff the ice this year.

Bear's QO was 2.4m. He agreed to 2.2m before an arbitration hearing.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Bear's QO was 2.4m. He agreed to 2.2m before an arbitration hearing.

interdesting. you are correct. but in my defence i read two articles earlier today where his qo was reported as $2m.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
As usual, you're ill informed..Prior to catching covid, he was playing in the Canes top 4.

so bear is wally pip and brendan smith is the next lou gehrig i guess.

from bear's game log he was -9 and a minus player 11 times in the 20 regular season games from march 1st to the end of the season last year. in the same period he was a plus player just 4 times. the team was 10-7-3 in that stretch. his ice time was all over the place, but he had multiple games playing top 4 minutes.

it looks like he played himself out of the lineup. maybe covid was a reason.

Reactions: mossey3535

credulous

Nov 18, 2021

he played like 40 games after he caught covid. if he wasn't in game shape why'd he keep getting put back in? fact is he lost his spot in carolina because he's not reliable, not because of fitness

not reliable doesn't mean not good. it just means he's gonna make mistakes that cost the team. he *probably* makes up for it with what he brings but coaches hate mistakes so we'll have to see how much boudreau can tolerate from him

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
The book on him appears to be that he is very good at transitioning the puck out of his pwn zone (which the Canucks desperately need)..but the flip side of that, is that he is prone to giving up turnovers.

The way Bear performs under Boudreau could be completely different than how he was utilized (and marginalized) by Brind'a'mour..Tyler Myers definitely improved under Boudreau..hopefully it works out for Bear.

Boudreau needs to say less to the media. These quotes can seem odd if you are Bear, reading stuff about yourself before you've spoken to your own coach. He's already talking about you... "Build people back up". I have no idea what is up with Bear, so Boudreau clearly knows something most don't.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Boudreau needs to say less to the media. These quotes can seem odd if you are Bear, reading stuff about yourself before you've spoken to your own coach. He's already talking about you... "Build people back up". I have no idea what is up with Bear, so Boudreau clearly knows something most don't.

This seems like a reach.

It’s no secret that Bear has struggled and been a healthy scratch and these are pretty benign comments on the safe assumption that the player probably isn’t filled with confidence right now.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
This seems like a reach.

It’s no secret that Bear has struggled and been a healthy scratch and these are pretty benign comments on the safe assumption that the player probably isn’t filled with confidence right now.
Absolutely.

Bruce is saying is he wants to help Bear regain his confidence after being pushed out of the line-up in Caroline.

That is what Bruce is known for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad