Confirmed with Link: [CAR/VAN] Canucks acquire D Ethan Bear (18% retained), C Lane Pederson for 5th Round Pick in '23

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Not a fan of Bear.

Just a total logjam of bottom pairing defensemen now. Guess this means Stillman and/or Dermott is probably out long-term.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Just thankful it wasn’t Hoglander

This x 1000.

I was flabbergasted that that was the Canes' ask.

Bear for a 5th seems like reasonable value - I'm just not sure it materially improves our team at this time. We have a lot of guys around Bear's level. What we're lacking is guys who can take and handle top four minutes without being caved in.

All that said, Bear seems like a terrific human being. From a personnel standpoint, I'm really happy he's a Canuck, and he'll be easy to cheer for.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Bear also had a really bad case of COVID about a year and a half (?) ago and put him on the outside looking in for a Canes core that is pretty deep (funny that Chatfield is one of the guys who pushed him out of course)

When paired with the retention it's a very cheap acquisition with upside that fills a much needed role. If he can regain the form he had with EDM (serviceable middle pair) we will be laughing.

A big part of the deal seems to be us taking on an additional contract and freeing up two slots for CAR.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
This x 1000.

I was flabbergasted that that was the Canes' ask.

Bear for a 5th seems like reasonable value - I'm just not sure it materially improves our team at this time. We have a lot of guys around Bear's level. What we're lacking is guys who can take and handle top four minutes without being caved in.

All that said, Bear seems like a terrific human being. From a personnel standpoint, I'm really happy he's a Canuck, and he'll be easy to cheer for.

Teams will not be giving up any top 4 dmen and we don't have the assets to acquire potential or already bona fide top 4 guys.

I guess the next best option is hope that guys like Stillman, Dermott or Bear somehow breakout. Only issue is you start sacrificing assets (2nd, 3rd and now a 5th).

Reactions: Indiana and bh53

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Teams will not be giving up any top 4 dmen and we don't have the assets to acquire potential or already bona fide top 4 guys.

I guess the next best option is hope that guys like Stillman, Dermott or Bear somehow breakout. Only issue is you start sacrificing assets (2nd, 3rd and now a 5th).
It’s something where you can be like “ok sure whatever” with all of those trades in isolation but when you start adding the sum of what you gave up, there has to be a hit there.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
AHL depth, blueline depth, retained salary for a 5th. That to me is fine. Still don't like picks going out the door but it's not a high pick and well the organization needs depth.

I don't expect much from Bear but I want him to do well. I liked his rookie season but then he just seemed to stop developing. Not shocking in Edmonton but Carolina seems to turn everyone into gold on that blueline that it's concerning Bear was an exception.

Both players are also RFA after this year so potential cost controlled assets in the future.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
It’s something where you can be like “ok sure whatever” with all of those trades in isolation but when you start adding the sum of what you gave up, there has to be a hit there.

the justification for literally every player acquisition by fans is always 'they can move them later for a pick' but it never happens

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad