Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Canes sign Scott Darling (4 years, $4.15m AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Carolina has a better d-core moving forward than the aging Blackhawks. I think he'll be well protected.

Thats very true he does have a nice D-core behind him in Carolina. I'm intrigued to see how his season goes next year. Like I said already, his unorthodox style makes me nervous, but he certainly is capable of playing great and making multiple 10 bell saves.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
He us currently the 23rd highest paid goalie. Once Bishop, maybe Miller, Mason, etc...sign, he will likely be the 25th or lower in cap hit. So he is being paid as a low end starter.

I think that fits him right now and what expectations are.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
This is Talbot money for a guy who has yet to establish himself as the next Talbot.

Risky.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
1 more year but less money per than I expected

We've made our commitment. For better or worse, he's our guy now.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Lack is probably going to be traded or bought out. I just don't see Ward going anywhere, ever.
Honestly, I don't see anyone trading for Lack, but I could see someone giving up a small asset for Ward. That is the only reason I could see Ward going, as a budget team I think they will explore trade routes before considering a buyout.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Carolina has a better d-core moving forward than the aging Blackhawks. I think he'll be well protected.

Yep, best u25 D-group in the league.
Then they have some 2way forwards as well.

Happy for Carolina, they have cap space for days so I'm not looking at that cap hit too much. They are atleast trying to address their biggest weakness.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Good for the Canes and good for Darling too.
The Canes identified him as someone they wanted and showed some assertiveness by trading for his neg rights and signed him. He has Ward to mentor him and has been mentored by Crawford so i think he will be alright.
The teams like the Flames, Jets, Stars, etc... that are in the market for a goalie just got one goalie taken out of contention.
The Canes could make this move before the XD because they don't care if they lose either Lack or Ward.
The stars have 10.4m of caphit on their two goalies for another season!

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
That's a lot of money... Looks like he got the Talbot contract

Talbots's at least had wore an oiler jersey for a few months first, put up respectable numbers for how bad his team was. Also had been a number one in the absense of Lundqvist for a longer period.That's a long 3 years after this one if he stays a backup

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
This is Talbot money for a guy who has yet to establish himself as the next Talbot.

Risky.
Carolina isn't exactly a top UFA destination, unfortunately sometimes it costs them more to get a desirable player and I think all of Carolina, Calgary, Vegas, Dallas, Vancouver and Philly would have been pushing for Darling.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Carolina isn't exactly a top UFA destination, unfortunately sometimes it costs them more to get a desirable player and I think all of Carolina, Calgary, Vegas, Dallas, Vancouver and Philly would have been pushing for Darling.

I mean, the consensus around the league has been that Darling is skilled enough to be a starter, and a good one, and he was expected to be a pretty hot ticket this offseason. Not sure why people are surprised- maybe the term is longer than expected, but if he does what a lot of scouts around this league expect him to do, it'll be a very good deal for the Canes. He's getting low end starter or 1A platoon guy money, it's not like we're paying him the 6.5-7 million Bishop is gonna get.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Fills a big hole in the canes lineup.
Darling should do well with the canes young defensman.....

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
Great deal for Scott and he'll do good behind that defence. CAR fans will be happy with him!

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I don't get anybody saying this is either too much term or too much money.

What did you think he was going to get on the open market? Like 1-2mil?

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
We certainly have the cap room. Seems like the deal is maybe a yr too long, but I'm fine with it. Nice to see GMRF address a glaring need so quickly.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
It's a fine deal. Any contract has the potential to blow up​ in your face. Francis gave him about what he would have gotten on the open market while ensuring that he was the first one to be able to lock him down. Four years is only bad if he ends up sucking, and I don't think there's too much danger of that.

Carolina just solved one of their major problems, now they just need to add a scorer.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I mean, the consensus around the league has been that Darling is skilled enough to be a starter, and a good one, and he was expected to be a pretty hot ticket this offseason. Not sure why people are surprised- maybe the term is longer than expected, but if he does what a lot of scouts around this league expect him to do, it'll be a very good deal for the Canes. He's getting low end starter or 1A platoon guy money, it's not like we're paying him the 6.5-7 million Bishop is gonna get.
I was hoping Calgary could get him personally, but I like the Canes so I really hope this works out for them

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Good move by the Canes, their core is shaping up nicely.

That's how you acquire a goalie Kevin Cheveldayoff, in case you were wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad