Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Canes sign Scott Darling (4 years, $4.15m AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
This has the potential to go horribly wrong, especially if one or two of the Canes young dmen take a step back next season.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
I thought he'd get around James Reimer money, but I guess they want to run with Darling as the #1.

Does this mean Carolina will make a deal with Vegas for them to take one of Lack/Ward?

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Great for Darling. After all the demons he's battled, awesome to see him getting a chance as a legitimate #1 starter.

And I get folks that are hesitant about the risk, but he's arguably been the best backup the last several years, so he's at least got some track record. As for an overpay....

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/rankings/average/goaltender/

That would've made him tied with Bernier as the 25th highest paid goalie in the league last year. Seems okay to me as he's their annointed starter.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Good move by the Canes, their core is shaping up nicely.

That's how you acquire a goalie Kevin Cheveldayoff, in case you were wondering.

unlike Carolina the jets want to protect a goalie for the xd. so getting a goalie before xd is not going to happen for the jets. some of the teams like Calgary and dallas have the edge on them because they don't care who they expose so they can sign whoever they like now. jets don't want to expose hellebuyck so they wont sign another goalie till after xd.

Last edited:

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I thought he'd get around James Reimer money, but I guess they want to run with Darling as the #1.

Does this mean Carolina will make a deal with Vegas for them to take one of Lack/Ward?

I think they'd sooner buy out Lack than give up anything of value to have Vegas select one of them. We're not going to lose anyone good in the expansion draft. Vegas will get themselves Brock McGinn or Phil di Giuseppe. Can't see the organization ever deal Ward either. He will seemingly stay as long as he wants.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
great set of moves to solidify their goaltending.

Yes, there is risk. But this is the best kind of risk. Don't get a goalie just for the resume. Get the goalie who is about to get good. If it doesn't pan out, at the end of the day it's not a contract that cripples the franchise

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
This has the potential to go horribly wrong, especially if one or two of the Canes young dmen take a step back next season.

You could say that about any teams defense.
The young dmen you are referring to will be entering their third season. They're not rookies anymore or heading into the dreaded sophomore slump. Fleury will potential win a role on the third pairing but will be playing with a veteran dman we hope to sign.
Defense is the last of our worries.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
What interests me most about this is what Carolina does next. I think they will explore trade options for Ward and Lack, then ultimately buy one out of nothing comes about. But my gut feeling... Cam Ward to Calgary

I doubt that'd happen and given the situation with his son, I think Ward is more likely to retire than he is to pack up his family and move to Calgary and have to set up a new support /medical care network or leave his family here in Raleigh and play absentee Dad more than he has to.

hagelin1381

Mar 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
He us currently the 23rd highest paid goalie. Once Bishop, maybe Miller, Mason, etc...sign, he will likely be the 25th or lower in cap hit. So he is being paid as a low end starter.

I think that fits him right now and what expectations are.

I was thinking this.. Compared to other starters in the league, it's really not much. There's some risk involved, but I think it'll work out. It helps that he has a great defense in front of him in Carolina as well

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
Bit risky with the total size of the contract but it's a calculated risk. He looks ready to be the starter and hopefully numbers won't take a dive. He'll have a pretty good D in front of him.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I doubt that'd happen and given the situation with his son, I think Ward is more likely to retire than he is to pack up his family and move to Calgary and have to set up a new support /medical care network or leave his family here in Raleigh and play absentee Dad more than he has to.
I wasn't aware his child had medical issues, that is terrible to hear. (I did a google search before saying anything else). Fortunately Calgary does have the Alberta Children's hospital and a Ronald McDonald Children's hospital if further medical care is needed and Ward's family is from close to Calgary, so if he did play anywhere else, you would have to think Calgary (and Edmonton) would be at the top of his list.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
A risky deal. Nothing against Darling, he's trending in a good direction, but you'd think Carolina would be more wary of a situation like this, considering how badly Lack blew up in their face.

I'd also argue Lack was more accomplished than Darling at the time of their trades. If the organisation is going off that template, what's Darling done to warrant double the salary and term?

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Thats very true he does have a nice D-core behind him in Carolina. I'm intrigued to see how his season goes next year. Like I said already, his unorthodox style makes me nervous, but he certainly is capable of playing great and making multiple 10 bell saves.

He's got a nice D-core behind him? How much does he challenge shooters if his defensemen are behind him? lol

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
I'm really happy for Scott Darling. It's too bad the Hawks couldn't offer him this contract and opportunity, but it is what it is. I hope he does well for the Canes.

CheMxDawG

Jan 26, 2017
Not even breaking top 20 paid goalies and he's getting paid too much?

Ok then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad