Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Canes sign Scott Darling (4 years, $4.15m AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexei Yashvalev

Nov 15, 2006
Victoria B.C.
Goalies are lottery tickets. Their performances from year to year are highly inconsistent, even among the elite ones.

Just the nature of the way the position is played now.

Personal theory: It's not humanly possible to get by on reflexes anymore with how player stick technology has evolved, gotta play the percentages read the play and hope the puck hits you. Sometimes even when the percentages are in your favour you get unlucky and even though the goalie is doing the right thing percentage/technique wise they get scored on. Then they get down on themselves mentally because the right thing didn't work and get into a funk where they don't do the right thing and make it worse on themselves.

Reactions: Znith and Kuola

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I'm sure in your 40,000 posts you've never made a bad player evaluation.

Please PM me your resume so I can forward it to the Canes. If not them, I'm sure your expertise will be valued by another team.
“My team’s front office is more qualified than a poster on a message board hahaha checkmate loser.”

Reactions: glovesave_35

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
I met Scott Darling before this season and I was wearing his jersey the day I did. He was very nice, signed it and said, "You don't see many of those anymore." I told him I believed in him knowing how hard everyone was on him last year. He had worked really hard in the offseason to get back in shape and Canes PR had put out media of the work to try to repair his image and salvage him for this year. It turned out it just didn't work here in Carolina.

I am glad he took the leave. His career is probably over now at the NHL level. Treat the demons. I don't want a post here soon about how he isn't with us anymore. I only speak for myself but this is way beyond hockey and I pray for a guy who has made mistakes but who hasn't gone so far he can't come back. Get well man.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Not really...just scout properly?

Jacques Plant Era
Ken Dryden (1970-1979)
Patrick Roy (1984-1996)
Jose Theodore (1995-2007)
Jaroslav Halak (2006-2010)
Carey Price (2007-present)
Theodore had two good seasons for Montreal, Halak about three, and Price has had about seven if we include this one. So, in the 22 seasons since 1996 the team you claim has scouted goalies properly has gotten 12 seasons of good starting goaltending.

Kinda seems like you're making their point for them.

Reactions: DaveG

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Just the nature of the way the position is played now.

Personal theory: It's not humanly possible to get by on reflexes anymore with how player stick technology has evolved, gotta play the percentages read the play and hope the puck hits you. Sometimes even when the percentages are in your favour you get unlucky and even though the goalie is doing the right thing percentage/technique wise they get scored on. Then they get down on themselves mentally because the right thing didn't work and get into a funk where they don't do the right thing and make it worse on themselves.
Its the hardest position to play mentally.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I met Scott Darling before this season and I was wearing his jersey the day I did. He was very nice, signed it and said, "You don't see many of those anymore." I told him I believed in him knowing how hard everyone was on him last year. He had worked really hard in the offseason to get back in shape and Canes PR had put out media of the work to try to repair his image and salvage him for this year. It turned out it just didn't work here in Carolina.

I am glad he took the leave. His career is probably over now at the NHL level. Treat the demons. I don't want a post here soon about how he isn't with us anymore. I only speak for myself but this is way beyond hockey and I pray for a guy who has made mistakes but who hasn't gone so far he can't come back. Get well man.

Agreed 100%. I know I’ve definitely expressed my anger towards his lack of professionalism coming in overweight and out of shape after signing with us but none of that matters in the grand scheme of things. It’s just a game and what matters more is that he can get back to being healthy and happy. I wish him the best of luck going forward.

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC

Well said.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Theodore had two good seasons for Montreal, Halak about three, and Price has had about seven if we include this one. So, in the 22 seasons since 1996 the team you claim has scouted goalies properly has gotten 12 seasons of good starting goaltending.

Kinda seems like you're making their point for them.

We had #1 goalies, whether they had good seasons or not is dependent on a lot of factors. The scouting was fine properly, every goalie mentioned is indeed a starter.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
We had #1 goalies, whether they had good seasons or not is dependent on a lot of factors. The scouting was fine properly, every goalie mentioned is indeed a starter.
A starter for some seasons, but hardly what you'd want in a starter for others. If proper scouting can only get you just over half the seasons of having a starter you actually want, then the phrase"crapshoot" certainly comes to mind.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
There's only so many ways to pickup netminders in this league to be your #1.

The league is pretty split on how to get them:
1) Draft and develop them for years.
2) Trade for a backup goalie and hope to God he becomes that starter.
3) Sign a legit 1G for legit 1G money.

There were probably 15 other teams in the league that probably were in line to get Darling when he was moved and signed. His numbers from being a backup in Chicago were outstanding. This backfired in the worst of ways, but there's no way you could have predicted it at the time though because his numbers coming from Chicago were fantastic.

People thought they would get the next Andersen when it just didn't work out.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
A starter for some seasons, but hardly what you'd want in a starter for others. If proper scouting can only get you just over half the seasons of having a starter you actually want, then the phrase"crapshoot" certainly comes to mind.

How does a goalie like Price go from starter to backup? same with Halak or Theo...you're losing a shit ton of credibility here, you should make a poll asking if any of them are backups.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
How does a goalie like Price go from starter to backup? same with Halak or Theo...you're losing a **** ton of credibility here, you should make a poll asking if any of them are backups.
I didn't call them backups. But when a starter has a season where they play poorly, it should not be considered a successful season for them. A poor season should be considered a failure, regardless of where you play in the lineup. And frankly, I think you lose credibility if you believe a bad season is a successful season for a goalie just because the backup wasn't able to take the mantle from them.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
The real question is does he go to the buyout pile that Semin is still on or do you eat the contract the next two instead of the buyout portion the next four.
99% chance he's bought out. It saves the Canes money and doesn't affect their team (since it seems like he's done as an NHLer)

Reactions: DaveG

jimslob

Dec 9, 2008
Carolina isn't exactly a top UFA destination, unfortunately sometimes it costs them more to get a desirable player and I think all of Carolina, Calgary, Vegas, Dallas, Vancouver and Philly would have been pushing for Darling.

Not in the know about all those teams mentioned.

But why on earth are the Canucks being mentioned as interested?

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I love bumps that cause tension.

HF used to be better than this.

I originally joined HF in 2004 but had to abandon my original account after being doxxed to the point of stalking around 2013. HF is much more tame than it used to be.

Reactions: LDF
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad