Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Canes sign Scott Darling (4 years, $4.15m AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaw65

Mar 13, 2011
Canada

raleigh, nc - ron francis, executive vice president and general manager of the national hockey league's carolina hurricanes, today announced that the team has agreed to terms with goaltender scott darling on a four-year contract through the 2020-21 season. The deal will pay darling a total of $16.6 million and carries an average annual value of $4.15 million per season.

"obviously scott could have waited until july 1, to see what other options he might have as an unrestricted free agent," said francis. "but he believes in what we are trying to do here and we are thrilled that he is committing to the hurricanes and to raleigh."

darling, 28, was acquired from the chicago blackhawks on april 29 in exchange for ottawa's third-round selection in the 2017 nhl draft. Born in newport news, va, but raised in lamont, il, he went 18-5-5, with a 2.38 goals-against average and a .924 save percentage in 32 games played for chicago in 2016-17. Darling recorded the decision in each of his career-high 27 starts (18-5-4) for the blackhawks, with his lone non-start decision coming as an overtime loss on march 21 against vancouver after he entered a 4-1 game just moments into the third period. Darling's .924 save percentage in 2016-17 ranked tied for fourth among all nhl goaltenders who started more than 25 games.

Hab-a-maniac

Sep 28, 2003
Toronto via Calgary!
Visit site
Hmmm seems risky but 4 years not super long these days. I still remember when Ray Emery and Antti Niemi were all the rage for putting up nice numbers with the Blackhawks too. Darling is at least better than them but let's see how he fares no longer protected behind the Hawks big names.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
What interests me most about this is what Carolina does next. I think they will explore trade options for Ward and Lack, then ultimately buy one out of nothing comes about. But my gut feeling... Cam Ward to Calgary

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
What interests me most about this is what Carolina does next. I think they will explore trade options for Ward and Lack, then ultimately buy one out of nothing comes about. But my gut feeling... Cam Ward to Calgary

Lack is probably going to be traded or bought out. I just don't see Ward going anywhere, ever.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Good for Darling. I think he's worth roughly that as a UFA.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Guy hasn't even played 82 games in entire career commands over 4 mill?

Ugly.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Risky contract for a guy who hasn't proven anything as a starter, but I hope it works out for Carolina. Can't say I'm a big fan of his unorthodox style, but I have seen him stand on his head multiple times so a lot of it will come down to his consistency level as a starter. Wouldn't be happy with this contract on my team at this point as its quite the gamble, but Darling has the opportunity now to prove he's worth it.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
It's not overpayment in the sense that he may easily live up to that contract and more but it's overpayment in the sense that his resume so far definitely does not earn that contract.

I dunno I feel like they paid a 3rd round pick for him and were desperate to make sure he signed so he was in a good bargaining position.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Hmmm seems risky but 4 years not super long these days. I still remember when Ray Emery and Antti Niemi were all the rage for putting up nice numbers with the Blackhawks too. Darling is at least better than them but let's see how he fares no longer protected behind the Hawks big names.

Carolina has a better d-core moving forward than the aging Blackhawks. I think he'll be well protected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad