Confirmed Trade: [CAR/BUF] Jeff Skinner for 2019 2nd, 2020 3rd and 6th, and Cliff Pu Part II

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
You forgot pages of high quality Pu jokes.
if there is any truth to HF it's that there's no such thing as driving a joke into the ground. Make crap jokes 1 000 000 times and maybe the 1 000 001th time it will be funny again.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
A guy scores 28 goals and it's his fault the team sucked.

Well, he only scored 24, not 28.

And nobody is saying "it's his fault". There was plenty of blame to go around last year (and the year before that, and the year before that), but there was no denying that his overall game was bad last year (as was Faulks). That's the point.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Maybe Brett Pesce could have chipped in a few more goals.

He was too busy stopping goals from being scored while facing the toughest competition, vs. allow the most facing the easiest competition.

I don't know why people get so defensive when people point this out about Skinner. It's been LONG talked about (go look at the Canes board over the years). This isn't a new phenomena just because he's traded. The guy is an ELITE goal scorer, but when he's not putting in the effort, his overall game is lacking. When he does put in consistent effort, he's an asset.

I'm on record for saying I think he'll do well in Buffalo and probably score 35+ goals, but that doesn't change what he has been, particularly last year, with Carolina.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
A guy scores 24 goals and it's his fault the team sucked.

No it's his fault he didn't put in consistent effort and for a guy with his level of skill did nothing to make his linemates better. It's his fault that he viewed his defensive responsibilities as optional. An it's his fault that he was on the ice for 71 goals against while getting the most sheltered ice time against marginal quality of competition. The guy should have been more of a leader, but was, instead, mostly complimentary piece.

Still, I'd love to have the good Jeff Skinner who scored 37 goals and lead the team in takeaways the previous year. But that wasn't the Jeff Skinner that got traded.

If he had handled his defensive assignments, he would have lifted the team into contention.

Surprisingly, this might be closer to the truth that you think.

Look, I like Jeff Skinner and I think there's been a lot of piling on by my fellow Canes fans. But it cannot be denied that he mailed in the last 1/4 of the season when the team was still in contention. His defensive deficiencies caused him to be sheltered incredibly. He played against some of the lowest quality of competition and still got lit up. He went on a 12 game goal-less streak to start the final 20 games and only scored 4 goals in that same stretch.

I agree w/ @Boom Boom Apathy that he's likely to do well in Buffalo, but he was famously erratic during his time w/the Canes. Still I wish him well, except when the Sabres play us.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Only because its close to Toronto. Or at least that was his answer to "why Buffalo." .

Where did he say that? It was assumed he waived to be closer to Toronto because no one could believe he may have thought Buffalo would be a good spot to get a long term deal with an improving young team. If he actually said he came here to be close to Toronto I hope they trade him away as soon as possible. You either want to be here as part of the long term solution or you need to go.

Buf fan in Nash

Jul 18, 2018
Nashville, TN
Where did he say that? It was assumed he waived to be closer to Toronto because no one could believe he may have thought Buffalo would be a good spot to get a long term deal with an improving young team. If he actually said he came here to be close to Toronto I hope they trade him away as soon as possible. You either want to be here as part of the long term solution or you need to go.

He made comments about playing with a young talented team etc. but really could have one with several teams.

"Skinner said an added bonus to the trade is the opportunity to play closer to his hometown of Toronto, a two-hour drive from Buffalo."

Skinner focused on Sabres, not contract after being traded

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Skinner’s defensive deficiencies have always been a bit overblown. To me it’s never really been that he is lazy, to be honest he’s one of the hardest working guys on the Canes. Sometimes he can get pulled out of position but hes mostly ok in his own end.

He’s at times (and it was blatant this season) just got the worst puck decision making I’ve seen. Sometimes it’s before they even leave the zone, but it’s mostly carrying the puck through the nuetral zone. It’s always one hand on the stick, and he’ll lose control for half a second. He’ll regain control but the d has gapped up because of the error. Or it’s flat out a turnover. Or it’s a poorly thought out dangle. At his worst he single handedly makes the puck return back deep in the Canes end. Often this happens after they’ve been pinned and everyone is tired, they’ll finally get out and Skinner will turn it over one way or another and it starts all over again. Just really poor puck management from the tops of his circles through the nuetral zone. He’s fine once he hits the far blue line.

He needs to not carry the puck till the offensive end. If he’s with Eichel, not an issue.

Wingers in my brain really can’t do that much harm in their end. Cover your point. Back check a bit. He never offended me with his general defensive reads. All puck management.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Skinners brains ate scrambeled. Lucky they got that.

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
Honestly part of the value Jeff Skinner brings is just helping to make my favorite team watchable again. People in Buffalo love hockey but man watching the lowest scoring team get reamed every night for the last few years has been brutal. Our fanbase doesn't expect us to be competitive for a few years but at least keep us engaged, keep it watchable. It's kind of like the Simpsons episode where Mark McGwire distracts all the fans by hitting a bunch of home runs...I just want to see some ****ing dingers

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
One of the best releases for snap and wrist shots combined with accuracy. He makes it look very easy. Just an amazing slippery goal scorer.

One of the best guys for chasing dmen into turnovers. The rare guy who literally steals it away from them in tight spaces and walks away with possession. Playing for us didn’t do him favors for recognition. He can go into the corner with two dmen, and spin and trip over himself twice and leave with the puck. You’ll think it was an accident the first ten times.

He didn’t do that as much as he normally does this year, part of the overall blah season he had.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
My prediction is that he will have a year statistically comparable to his best years in Carolina but not significantly better, but talking heads and internet posters will talk about how he's invigorated and playing better than ever, a real star

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Funny how perceptions work. If Carolina had gotten a late 1st, Pu, and a 6th, people would probably be saying "That's about the return a deadline deal and a fair deal considering his NMC". Instead, they got a 2nd, 3rd, Pu and a 6th and people are saying they got fleeced.

I know many fans wanted a "roster player" back, but what team is trading a roster player for a guy that is basically a 1 year rental? I don't recall too many "good" roster players being the return for a rental in recent years, but maybe I'm mistaken.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad