Movies: Captain Marvel

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
It’s a joke about her expressionless face. Not unlike the previous joke I posted with the photoshopped smiles.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
The people in this thread wishing marvel had cast a better looking woman either mash their mushroom head around the clock to perfect girls on the Internet, or have the sex life of bruce wayne.

Vegas favours the former possibility.
In a movie franchise aimed at young men, these same young men want to see hotter women.

I'm shocked.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Is there some reason Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel is supposed to look like some kind of bombshell? (as if Brie Larson isn’t already a smokeshow)

It makes sense that Wonder Woman/Gadot looks like a supermodel...she’s a god and isn’t there part of her actual origins where she was just created or formed by the gods to be some kind of perfect woman?

But why would an airforce pilot who turns into a superhero have to look like a supermodel as opposed to just looking like a “regular” good looking chick in great shape?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
In a movie franchise aimed at young men, these same young men want to see hotter women.

I'm shocked.

... why is the movie franchise aimed at young men?
did they say that?
i thought it was aimed for people who like action movies or comic books.

Is there some reason Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel is supposed to look like some kind of bombshell? (as if Brie Larson isn’t already a smokeshow)

It makes sense that Wonder Woman/Gadot looks like a supermodel...she’s a god and isn’t there part of her actual origins where she was just created or formed by the gods to be some kind of perfect woman?

But why would an airforce pilot who turns into a superhero have to look like a supermodel as opposed to just looking like a “regular” good looking chick in great shape?

I was wondering the same?

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
And the vast majority of those people are male.

the vast majority?
i'd highly doubt that. contary to popular belief, women can and do very much so, enjoy action/comic book movies/ comic books.
and even if they didn't. or as you said it was the 'vast majority'. - Larson is very pretty. she doesn't have to be "sexier"

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
And the vast majority of those people are male.

Actually the difference has closed immensely in recent years. When I was a kid, girls could not be bothered with reading comic books (other than Donald Duck). Now? Pretty much every time I've gone to watch an MCU movie in a theater either at my hometown's small cinema or the big one in Turku, the ratio of male-to female is almost even. And these girls are young, they know the Easter eggs and know to stay for the post-credit scenes, unlike most of the younger males. I mean, I was trying not to laugh out laugh during the Steve-old Peggy scene in Winter Soldier when 2-3 girls sitting in front of me went "awwwww" in unison when Peggy had a bout of dementia and recognized Steve again.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
the vast majority?
i'd highly doubt that. contary to popular belief, women can and do very much so, enjoy action/comic book movies/ comic books.
and even if they didn't. or as you said it was the 'vast majority'. - Larson is very pretty. she doesn't have to be "sexier"

Yes. Some women do like action movies/comics. It is changing. However, the vast majority (especially when the comics were first published) are male and aimed at them.

62% of Super hero movie goers are male. 38% are female.

That is a big gap and I think it is safe to say that some men dragged their spouses along as it was their turn to pick. Much like the opposite happens when it is her turn to pick.

This might not mean as much in Captain Marvel as the numbers suggest in Wonder Woman.

Wonder Woman Box Office Success Driven by Older & Female Moviegoers

"Wonder Woman's audience and some interesting data has emerged. For one, the film has managed to become the only tentpole film to reach parity between male and female audiences, outshining even The Force Awakens. With the average superhero film featuring an audience that's 62 percent male, the even split between men and women is further proof that audiences will flock to films that represent them."

I don't know if it is proof, but time will tell.

Even in Comic Con the rapid increase in female participation was not due to superhero movies. It was due to Twilight. Note: You will get a kick out of the first responses in the link.

The inclusion of the “Twilight” films was a “watershed” for the convention, according to science-fiction writer Charlie Jane Anders.
All of a sudden there were all these female fans who showed up for ‘Twilight’ who would actually get in line for Hall H,” says Anders, co-founder of the website io9. “But the amazing thing was that even after there were no more ‘Twilight’ movies, it felt like the attendees never went back to the way they had been. It felt like a lot of women and girls and people of other genders experienced Comic-Con and really liked it and just kept coming.”

Comic-Con: Why Is Hall H Still Lacking in Female Panelists?

As I said, is it surprising that young males want to see prettier women? What as a woman do you want to see more of? Are you somehow a lesser person if men wouldn't agree with you?

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I want to see a good movie
but that's just me.

Seeing as how peoples definitions of a good movie vary widely due to their personal likes I would say that this is kind of vague.

No problem though. Everyone sees things differently. I too think she is cute enough as long as the movie is well done. There are others who disagree.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Her looks are not going to be the deciding factor on whether or not the movie is good. But if people are wondering why the casting seems just a little off, I think it's because she doesn't have the sex appeal of most female comic book characters and in essentially all of her previous roles to date, Brie Larson tends to play someone a little more stand off-ish and serious than what we're used to.

That's all. I shouldn't need to couch this with a male-comparison but people had the same complaints about Henry Cavill's superman...saying he was way too serious and down. That doesn't mean I want some bright and bubbly Meagan Fox type to make the role work, but Brie Larson's work to date and her looks are not something I'd expect to be casted into this role.

Regardless, this is already getting way too much attention than it needs. Again, her looks are going to be the last thing to make the movie good or bad. She's already cast, let's just see how things play out. Personally can't wait for more trailers (as the first didn't tell me much) and can't wait for the movie to come out so I can see how she fits into the IW storyline.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Seeing as how peoples definitions of a good movie vary widely due to their personal likes I would say that this is kind of vague.

No problem though. Everyone sees things differently. I too think she is cute enough as long as the movie is well done. There are others who disagree.

alright i'll clarify.
Good Movie for me (depending on the movie) - good to excellent writing - a a great plot (which isn't the same as good writing,, i tend to hold that separate) good acting, and when i'm done i feel satisfied. I don't really ever go (if I'm watching a romantic comedy for example) go "well I wish ______ was sexier etc." i just try to enjoy what i'm seeing. in Book/Movies, Comic/Movies it's more of "does so and so represent this person i've imagined).

I don't get how her being sexier would result in a better movie and i don't know if just saying "young guys and demographics" makes sense to me. (Wonder Woman/Gal Gadot does make sense - Carol Danvers/Cptn Marvel doesn't for me).

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
wait...people actually don't think Larson is hot? Is it because people think fake celebrities like the Kardashians and Jenner's are hot?

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

If you go down that rabbit hole to its final conclusion you'll end up with a Pamela Anderson-type lead actor who's costume is a string bikini which is necessary because... she breathes through her skin!

Now obviously men are going to like seeing sexier women in general, but the comic book aesthetic is designed to appeal to adolescent boys. When you're making a live action movie that's meant to appeal to a broader audience, and Marvel is definitely going to want to target this one at women, then that's the 1st thing you drop. It's really no different than any of the X-Men movies.

I think you're trying to make an 'in principle' argument here but I don't think it really should apply. The only thing I'd really question is if this is really a 'thing' or if the social media world is taking a finding a few dumb statements online and blowing it up. The hottest takes always tend to get the most attention after all.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
If you go down that rabbit hole to its final conclusion you'll end up with a Pamela Anderson-type lead actor who's costume is a string bikini which is necessary because... she breathes through her skin!

Now obviously men are going to like seeing sexier women in general, but the comic book aesthetic is designed to appeal to adolescent boys. When you're making a live action movie that's meant to appeal to a broader audience, and Marvel is definitely going to want to target this one at women, then that's the 1st thing you drop. It's really no different than any of the X-Men movies.

I think you're trying to make an 'in principle' argument here but I don't think it really should apply. The only thing I'd really question is if this is really a 'thing' or if the social media world is taking a finding a few dumb statements online and blowing it up. The hottest takes always tend to get the most attention after all.
?

Are you sure you quoted the right person?

Not sure what you think I am arguing. Have I somehow even made an argument that fits what you just said?

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
alright i'll clarify.
Good Movie for me (depending on the movie) - good to excellent writing - a a great plot (which isn't the same as good writing,, i tend to hold that separate) good acting, and when i'm done i feel satisfied. I don't really ever go (if I'm watching a romantic comedy for example) go "well I wish ______ was sexier etc." i just try to enjoy what i'm seeing. in Book/Movies, Comic/Movies it's more of "does so and so represent this person i've imagined).

I don't get how her being sexier would result in a better movie and i don't know if just saying "young guys and demographics" makes sense to me. (Wonder Woman/Gal Gadot does make sense - Carol Danvers/Cptn Marvel doesn't for me).

Some people don't really care about plot, etc. and just want to turn their brain off for a couple of hours and have their senses assaulted. While that is happening some want to watch hot women like Meghan Fox. They even called her Fox.

On the other side, I do remember women complaining that the guy in Fifty Shades of Grey wasn't hot enough. So see, gals are becoming more like guys every year. ;)

Nurmagomedov

Apr 13, 2015
Emily Vancamp would have made a perfect Captain Marvel if she wasn't already a part of the franchise.

Baby Punisher

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
The people in this thread wishing marvel had cast a better looking woman either mash their mushroom head around the clock to perfect girls on the Internet, or have the sex life of bruce wayne.

Vegas favours the former possibility.
I don't get why everyone is hung up on her looks. There is absolutely nothing wrong with her.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
When I first saw Brie as Captain Marvel, I didn't like it. Not because of this weird "hot" factor, but because based on the comic books I've seen with her, she should've been casted by a more Scandinavian-looking actress (bluer eyes and more naturally blonde hair). However, as the time goes on, the more and more I see and think about it, the more she's coming into clarity as a perfect Captain Marvel.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
When I first saw Brie as Captain Marvel, I didn't like it. Not because of this weird "hot" factor, but because based on the comic books I've seen with her, she should've been casted by a more Scandinavian-looking actress (bluer eyes and more naturally blonde hair). However, as the time goes on, the more and more I see and think about it, the more she's coming into clarity as a perfect Captain Marvel.

Yeah, I was somewhat cautious about her appearance at first but I had seen her in United States Of Tara and knew she could act. She definitely has range, perhpas the people responsible for the trailer could have picked scenes with more variety with her but they probably didn't have that much finished material to pick from yet.

Listening to Kevin Smith talk about the trailer makes me appreciate it more (skip to 21:00 mark):

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad